PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Bahamas - Any Tips/Advice?

HunterDave
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
I've already done a search of the fishing forum to gather as much info about fishing the Bahamas as well as researching on the internet. I was wondering if anyone could add any advice that I won't find in a book.

We, two couples, are headed to Freeport, Bahamas in the second week of May. My buddy and I are avid outdoorsmen so we'd like to get some fishing in. I've checked the prices for the charters that are listed online and it's about $600/half day for up to 6 anglers. Seeing that there's only two of us it'd cost $300 each which neither of us wants to spend for four hours of fishing.

Does anyone know if there are possibilities to piggyback on charters with other smaller groups of anglers? I'll definitely try to recruit fellas from our hotel.

Is there an alternative to taking a charter? Maybe Joe Bahama with a boat at the pier or maybe just getting our hands on some fishing tackle and wading in the water.

May is the best time for bluefin tuna and white marlin but I hear that bonefish are allot of fun to fish anytime of the year (We don't flyfish though). Actually catching something would be great but just going fishing is enough.

Can anyone out there offer any advice, tips or anything else whether they experienced it themselves or heard it from someone else? :sign0085:

nicemustang
03-04-2011, 03:01 PM
My only advice is to go see the hotel booking people right away, say you want to fish and share a boat. Then call me if you find someone else that will split. Everytime so far that has worked out and we split the bill.

Sundancefisher
03-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Take me... I carry luggage and am very agreeable on all fishing subjects when fishing in warm air...

The Bahamas is great for flyfishing the flats. Lots of great water. You should also check around to see if there is any walk and wade water available if you are up for it.

HunterDave
03-04-2011, 03:31 PM
My only advice is to go see the hotel booking people right away, say you want to fish and share a boat. Then call me if you find someone else that will split. Everytime so far that has worked out and we split the bill.

Good idea! That's one of the first things that we'll do! If we can find 4 guys in our situation to split on the boat it'd only be about $200 each for the whole day (plus whatever it costs us to ditch our wives). :evilgrin:

HunterDave
03-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Take me... I carry luggage and am very agreeable on all fishing subjects when fishing in warm air...

Thanks but I travel light and we might not even talk about fishing anyway. :)

chubbdarter
03-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks but I travel light and we might not even talk about fishing anyway. :)

Now thats funny i dont care who you are

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Take the first day to scout things out. Go down to the marina and ask around. Ask for prices and make like your really interested but the price is too steep and walk away. Talk to as many different captains as possible and "Accidently" roll by the same captains 2 days later and ask the guys if their price has fallen? This technique has worked for me in Hawaii, Cayman Islands, Mexico, ect... These guys live for your dollar, so give it to them. Just dont give them as much as they ask as you will definately have more fun for less.

PS. Im a cheap Ukrainian!

HunterDave
03-04-2011, 11:40 PM
These guys live for your dollar, so give it to them. Just dont give them as much as they ask as you will definately have more fun for less.

PS. Im a cheap Ukrainian!

Good plan. I like it and I'll give it a burst. Thanks!

Sundancefisher
03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Good plan. I like it and I'll give it a burst. Thanks!

On your first day there go down to the marina as the boats are coming in with their catch. Go with the boat catching fish. It makes a difference from what I have heard. I did that in Maui...while we did not catch much cause it was slow...we caught fish...all other boats where skunked that day.

At the very least find out the name of the area they are catching fish at.

HunterDave
03-06-2011, 01:05 AM
On your first day there go down to the marina as the boats are coming in with their catch. Go with the boat catching fish. It makes a difference from what I have heard. I did that in Maui...while we did not catch much cause it was slow...we caught fish...all other boats where skunked that day.

At the very least find out the name of the area they are catching fish at.

I'll check that too. Thanks!

Penner
03-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Leave the ice auger at home!:confused0024:

WillyOneStyle
03-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I went ocean fishing for the first time in Costa Rica this January, it was awesome.
They told us to be leery of those selling charters on the beach, you may not see them again.
Eat a good breakfast. Bring 'Seacalm' or 'gravol' if you have any kind of stomach weakness, the other guys who payed $300 aren't about to let the boat turn around.
That said, a good fish could make those four hours totally worth $300.
Have fun down there, good luck.

walking buffalo
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
As soon as you get there, or by email, let the captain know you are willing to share your charter with other people. There may be other fishermen in the same boat....;)

On my last trip to Barbados I wanted to go after Marlin, $1200 for the day. The Captain I wanted to fish with had two other singles looking to share the boat. He hooked all three of us up, A shepard from Ireland, and an american who made his fortune starting the Home Shopping Network selling sports memorabilia. Turned into a great day, caught sailfish, dolphin, and wahoo. Had a 600lb plus Blue smash the set without hooking up.

Go to the marina, talk with the locals, ask who will fish in-shore. The most expensive place to make a deal is through the hotel.

Bring a packable spinning rod. You can fish the flats for bones and sharks/barracuda with bait. Got crabs?

HunterDave
03-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks fellas! Allot of good stuff for me to think about on here. Exactly the kinds of things that I was looking for. :happy0034:

Yeah, the ice auger will stay home. :lol:

HunterDave
06-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Just a follow up to my original post. We managed to find a Captain/boat that'd take us out for 4 hours at $120 each (pretty cheap) if we had 4 people. As luck would have it we found a couple of fellas from Tennessee that wanted to do some fishing. The ocean was pretty rough that day so we couldn't go out too far. We each had a chance to land a barracuda though so that was pretty nice.

Here's "Bubba" with his cuda.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/lifetimepassion/IMG_2393.jpg

Daceminnow
06-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Just a follow up to my original post. We managed to find a Captain/boat that'd take us out for 4 hours at $120 each (pretty cheap) if we had 4 people. As luck would have it we found a couple of fellas from Tennessee that wanted to do some fishing. The ocean was pretty rough that day so we couldn't go out too far. We each had a chance to land a barracuda though so that was pretty nice.

Here's "Bubba" with his cuda.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/lifetimepassion/IMG_2393.jpg

cool fish.