PDA

View Full Version : Perch Eyes and Roe?

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Went perching today and ran into more then my fair share. Tossed more back then we kept. Too bad we didnt have a live well today cause we would have been upgrading every hour. Just got finished cleaning using the "10 second" method and the first batch is in the pan. Before I throw out the heads and roe, I am wondering if anyone uses the eyes/roe to fish with? Is this legal? Does it work?

Thanks

nicemustang
03-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Yes, Yes and Yes to your questions! Eyes work wonder, roe works great for rainbows.

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks. I have thought about using the eyes for years but usually only go to one lake per weekend. The "minister of finance" doesnt like fishing and she hates having "fish products" in the fridge so I never keep them. Shes gone for the weekend so I have "control" over the fridge and what goes in it until monday. This means a half dozen roe and eyes will sit on the top shelf in plain view. Hey wife... You hear that... In plain view....

And if she lets me... I will use them tomorrow.

straum
03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
I've used eyes and they are great. :):) Had a friend that used them, I started. You will be suprised

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 08:32 PM
How do you fish them?

nicemustang
03-04-2011, 08:43 PM
So if you your using a small spoon, just put one on the treble. If you are using small jigs, use one on the hook, fish em like maggots.

nicemustang
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh, and bellies too :)

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Just One?

Mix in a combination of maggots?

How about the Roe?

Daceminnow
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Just One?

Mix in a combination of maggots?

How about the Roe?

one eye on the hook at a time, and "gouge" them out deep with your thumb so they don't pop. get the whole eyeball on there as well as any of the white stringy stuff that comes with. the best big perch bait. eye only nothing else.

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I circled the eye with a knife and then squeezed them out. Only cut 1 eye. How easy is it to just use your finger?

Daceminnow
03-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I circled the eye with a knife and then squeezed them out. Only cut 1 eye. How easy is it to just use your finger?

try it. go deep with your thumb and pop em out. you'll break a few. next to impossible when the fish start to freeze. gotta be fresh.

PERCHY
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM
i tried cutting it out with a knife and they kept popping on me...so you just dig your thumb in there and pop it out? no knife needed eh?

Daceminnow
03-04-2011, 09:16 PM
i tried cutting it out with a knife and they kept popping on me...so you just dig your thumb in there and pop it out? no knife needed eh?

yep. go deep behind the eyeball and pop. never popped eyes before and you go by the name PERCHY. dude?

PERCHY
03-04-2011, 09:20 PM
yep. go deep behind the eyeball and pop. never popped eyes before and you go by the name PERCHY. dude?

hahahahaha i know i should change it to grossedoutbypoppingeyes. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dust1n
03-04-2011, 09:21 PM
i cut around the eye awwell and pop it out with my thumb

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 09:22 PM
hahahahaha i know i should change it to grossedoutbypoppingeyes. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lol... Im sold on using the 30, well 29 eyes tomorrow. But what about the roe? Can I stick it on the tip up?

Daceminnow
03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Lol... Im sold on using the 30, well 29 eyes tomorrow. But what about the roe? Can I stick it on the tip up?

fry it up tonight before it gets any older!

Braun
03-04-2011, 09:24 PM
use both thumbs and aproach it as if you were going to squeeze a giant pimple. push down as hard as you can then slidethe one thumb under the eye and push up and out with your thumb. takes some practice

howlin
03-04-2011, 09:29 PM
"Too bad we didnt have a live well today cause we would have been upgrading every hour".sorry i could be mistaken but i think culling(upgrading) is illegal

Daceminnow
03-04-2011, 09:30 PM
use both thumbs and aproach it as if you were going to squeeze a giant pimple. push down as hard as you can then slidethe one thumb under the eye and push up and out with your thumb. takes some practice

sounds just about right braun. those are more detailed instructions.

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 09:32 PM
"Too bad we didnt have a live well today cause we would have been upgrading every hour".sorry i could be mistaken but i think culling(upgrading) is illegal

Ya... Thats why we didnt have one, but thanks for reading into it.... Standard.

The Great Outdoors
03-04-2011, 09:34 PM

Awww... Seems logical. I will try tomorrow. Anyone want to trade a whitefish hotspot at Gull for a perch spot at Isle?

nicemustang
03-04-2011, 10:22 PM
Actually...not to go off topic here....but culling isn't ILLEGAL, just not the best thing to do morals wise.

goldentrout
03-04-2011, 10:40 PM
The easiest way is to use a small spoon and dig!!!

Sundancefisher
03-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Went perching today and ran into more then my fair share. Tossed more back then we kept. Too bad we didnt have a live well today cause we would have been upgrading every hour. Just got finished cleaning using the "10 second" method and the first batch is in the pan. Before I throw out the heads and roe, I am wondering if anyone uses the eyes/roe to fish with? Is this legal? Does it work?

Thanks

I love using eyes. If you break the circle around the eye into thirds and place your thumbs on two of the thirds and with the tip put downward pressure...the eye pops up...then wiggle your thumb under until the tips meet...then pry up. Hook through the white part on the back and come out the middle of the front. Best way IMHO.

10 second method...I just can't stand it. It is interesting...but I love boneless fillets. I can do 2 minute. 1 a minute using the 10 second method :confused:

As for culling fish with a live well...that has me thinking...

ALBERTA REGULATIONS
Never Cull Fish
“Culling” is staying within the catch limit for a species by releasing fish from a stringer or other holding device when a larger fish is caught. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins and scales.

I know we see the Bass Masters using live wells...but is this a regulation in our regs or a suggestion?

Technically speaking the fish in your limit constitutes your limit. If you catch another...and don't put it back immediately (what is immediate?)...that is deemed over limit. Can they catch you at it? Potentially. I would be careful until this is clarified.

At least if you are using a tub in the winter...without O2...you could be killing them due to stress and lack of oxygen prior to release...even though Perch seem extra hardy. Just a thought.

Sun

Garry B
03-05-2011, 01:05 AM
10 second method...I just can't stand it. It is interesting...but I love boneless fillets. I can do 2 minute. 1 a minute using the 10 second method.

100% agreed, boneless fillets are far better than a body piece with backbone and ribcage in place. Even seem to taste better for some reason. Hmmm? But we have been able to use the 10 second method to prepare some perch that were just too small to fillet (typical Hasse whales) whereas without it we would not have been able to eat any. So, while I don't like the method either, we find ourselves using it. Hope they grow there so we don't have to. :)

Icefishin
03-05-2011, 01:40 AM
In your regs on of 18 it states: "if the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day's limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained an are part of your limit(see pg19 and 21 for details on releasing live it prohibited fish)."

This means that culling is illegal and I wouldn't try to argue if you were culling and got caught cause they'll take everything and you'll be facing legal action. Most of the regulations are really just common sense about protecting the fisheries resource for the future. Even if common sense isn't so common, but just pointing out for reference so people aren't mistaken an try culling cause they heard this on this forum.

Sundancefisher
03-05-2011, 09:01 AM
In your regs on of 18 it states: "if the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day's limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained an are part of your limit(see pg19 and 21 for details on releasing live it prohibited fish)."

This means that culling is illegal and I wouldn't try to argue if you were culling and got caught cause they'll take everything and you'll be facing legal action. Most of the regulations are really just common sense about protecting the fisheries resource for the future. Even if common sense isn't so common, but just pointing out for reference so people aren't mistaken an try culling cause they heard this on this forum.

Good point

Fishfinder
03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Good point

X2!

Dust1n
03-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Actually...not to go off topic here....but culling isn't ILLEGAL, just not the best thing to do morals wise.

it says in the regalations it is....:argue2:

nicemustang
03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
it says in the regalations it is....:argue2:

Prove it. It does not say that.

beermilk
03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
i think its been proven with other quotes on this thread allready.

anyways i didnt think you were allowed to use to eyes either ?!?!?!

i wish i knew you were allowed earlier in the year when i was on some hot perch fishin. oh well always next year

walking buffalo
03-06-2011, 10:36 AM

It's kind of like the crayfish law... ;)

Alberta Bigbore
03-06-2011, 12:51 PM
an old friend's mom use to boile perch roe and add sugar into it and eat them. Not for me.

sco22
03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I have asked specifically and we were checked by a F&W when we had a live well of sorts (a large area of melt and flood water where we kept our fish after catching) and was told it was absolutely illegal to cull fish in Alberta. Live wells are permitted to keep your catch fresh but you may not return a fish to the water after putting it in the live well.

The regs are not overly clear although the "never" part is close. They could simply put it in prohibited activities.

I find if you get the roe bag out whole, without puncturing the sac, it is much easier to deal with. Then I let it freeze and cut in pieces. It seems to stay on the hook for a bit and also lets the eggs kind of disperse as you jig. That works best for me. Holy crow - maybe I am chumming the hole? Great. . .

I haven't been into eyes much as I seem to mangle them every time. I find the belly with skin seems to stay on the hook well.

Cheers.

BobLoblaw
03-06-2011, 02:56 PM

From the regs...

"Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit."

Seems pretty clear that culling is illegal???

mayuan
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
From the regs...

"Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit."

I agree, but what about the fishing derbies?? If the Possession rule is correct then the derbies are illegal in how they deal with the fish. Who is right? :scared0015:

New Hunter Okotoks
03-06-2011, 10:02 PM
I agree, but what about the fishing derbies?? If the Possession rule is correct then the derbies are illegal in how they deal with the fish. Who is right? :scared0015:

Hmmmmmm, very good point.

nicemustang
03-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Exactly! And what about all the walleye anglers in tourneys. The cull all the time whether you like it or not because there is no rules saying you can't. All of those fish in the live well are going back regardless so you can't say that a fish caught and put in livewell is kept and then released.

For the record: I don't or have EVER culled and I never will. But I'm just pointing out that the regs say NEVER cull, it does not say it's illegal. Tourney and derby guys to it all the time.

Daceminnow
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Exactly! And what about all the walleye anglers in tourneys. The cull all the time whether you like it or not because there is no rules saying you can't. All of those fish in the live well are going back regardless so you can't say that a fish caught and put in livewell is kept and then released.

For the record: I don't or have EVER culled and I never will. But I'm just pointing out that the regs say NEVER cull, it does not say it's illegal. Tourney and derby guys to it all the time.

fish walleye tourneys stang and never cull? you got a crystal ball?

Scotty P.
03-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Don't throw out or use the roe for bait, it is delicious! Roll full roe sacks in flour, egg wash and then French onion cracker crumbs. Fry them up in a little butter and chow down. They taste just like scrambled eggs that have been breaded and fried, at least in my opinion.

nicemustang
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
fish walleye tourneys stang and never cull? you got a crystal ball?

Never had the need to yet. So far, if we have keepers they have been weighed in. I have minimal tourney experience though.

sco22
03-07-2011, 11:03 AM
You have a fair question Nicemustang. . .all I know is what I was told directly. However, I am going to call F&W and ask about tourneys. I wonder if they are exempt or waivered? More likely just not enforced.

Cheers.

The Great Outdoors
03-07-2011, 06:47 PM
So do I eat the roe or do the fish? Some say freeze the roe, cut into pieces and fish with it. Others say eat it? Im in a pickle....

Braun
03-11-2011, 12:32 PM
At first when I read this thread, I knew it was one of those awkward wording things that is typical of the alberta regs. But culling is legal

From the regs...

I put it to you this way, when using a livewell, you are putting the fish back into the water which it came from...... that water in which it came from is now in the livewell....... that said i would not say the same for a fish on a stringer. if you put a fish on a stringer you better be keeping him. too much damage to the fish. In a proper livewell and care from the angler, a fish in a live well is perfectly fine

You have a fair question Nicemustang. . .all I know is what I was told directly. However, I am going to call F&W and ask about tourneys. I wonder if they are exempt or waivered? More likely just not enforced.

Cheers.

the tourney's are not an exception because it is not illegal. now im not going to knock on all F&W people. most of them are great guys/girls. but i know there are some out there who don't fully know/understand alberta's rules too. i have heard instances where a F&W person comes up to a couple and starts giving them heck about their catch and then a Reg book comes out and proves to the F&W guy that he is wrong. it happens. I would never advise anyone to cull a fish nor would i do it personally. but it is legal.

SonnyJ
03-11-2011, 12:40 PM
So do I eat the roe or do the fish? Some say freeze the roe, cut into pieces and fish with it. Others say eat it? Im in a pickle....

Fry the sacks of roe in butter and chow down...:)

Sundancefisher
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't know guys. After reading everything I think it could be a rule not to cull.

After reading the regs it says never cull.

As for tournaments...they have special regs for that.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/SafetyProcedures/FishHandling.aspx

"Culling

Holding fish in a livewell or on a stringer with the intention of releasing them once a larger fish is caught reduces survival rates after release. Studies show that mortality of released fish significantly increases if they are held in rough and/or warm waters. If you plan on keeping a fish, you should dispatch it quickly and keep it cool, preferably on ice.

Livewells needed to transport fish during a tournament must meet the following criteria:

* Used only in calm water for short periods
* Contains 15 litres of water per fish
* Equipped for continuous fresh water replacement
* Equipped to keep the water cool"

I know it is fun to guess...but someone should just phone F&W and ask. Or...any F&W officers on line can tell us if culling is strongly suggested to not occur...or if it does occur you can be charged.

If it is illegal...this thread suggests it may not be as clear as F&W thought.

walking buffalo
03-12-2011, 10:16 AM
From the 2011 regs. It is very clear, Culling is Illegal.

Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not
immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately
decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a
stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit(see page 19 and 21 for details on releasing live or prohibited fish).

The Great Outdoors
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the tip on ROE... It was fantastic dredged in Panko and fryed in butter... Just awesome...

Sundancefisher
03-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the tip on ROE... It was fantastic dredged in Panko and fryed in butter... Just awesome...

Did you eat perch roe. I have always wondered what it tasted like. I used to give all my roe to a buddy.

Once fertilized...apparently very few things in the water will touch it. The slime coating is thought to be a deterrent.

The Great Outdoors
03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
It was tasty... MMM

Or maybe it was the butter or the generous helping of budweiser

BobLoblaw
03-13-2011, 10:23 PM
From the 2011 regs. It is very clear, Culling is Illegal.

Possession: A fish is considered retained (kept) when it is not
immediately returned to the waters from which it was taken.

If the fish you catch is of a legal species and legal size, immediately
decide to release or keep it as part of your day’s limit. Fish kept on a
stringer or a live well are considered retained and are part of your limit(see page 19 and 21 for details on releasing live or prohibited fish).

Totally agree, dude. There is no grey area here, it's black & white.
There are different rules for tournaments, for obvious reasons. Tournament anglers cull, but all fish are eventually released; I assume the organizers are pretty strict about how these fish are handled.

Yeah, I can't figure out why some say culling isn't illegal??????

npauls
03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
The way it was worded in 2009 and 2010 made for loop holes according to a few C.O.'s I talked to. They have since changed it for 2011 and made it very clear that culling is illegal.

As for tournament culling. I know that the SAWT has a rule that there is no culling allowed. You have to decide right away when you get a legal whether or not you want to keep it in the livewell or release it and hope to find some bigger fish.

sco22
03-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Here is the email I received back from SRD:

According to page 21 of the 2011 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations, it is illegal to cull fish. Fish that have been held on a stringer or in a tub usually die if released because of stress and because of damage to their gills, fins, and scales.

Dominic Ho
Sustainable Resource Development
Information Centre
9920-108 Street, Main Floor Great West Life Building
Phone: (780) 422-2082

Cheers.

ogre
03-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Culling IS illegal. The use of a live well or stringer is just to keep the fish [barely] alive so the meat continues to receives oxygen. A fish's chance of survival after release from a live well or stringer is very slim.