PDA

View Full Version : burntstick ice fishing?

jr.fish
03-04-2011, 10:58 PM
im looking for any info people are willing to give..iv only fished there twice in the summer time and got 2 small pike one of the days.

i normaly cut my holes with a chain saw but im thinking the ice will be to thick now...what are my chances of finding a open hole?

i dont ice fish often and am hoping to catch a few perch to cook up and see if there any good eating?...but i dont know much about fishing them other then what i can find on line. any tips?

if any one is going up that way this weekend and willing to drill me a hole and share some info that would be great...im only 18 but easy to get along with...just cant wait tell spring to fish

thanks

SushiUnagi
03-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Ice is definitely close to 3' if not more in most areas I've been to around Calgary.

Garry B
03-06-2011, 03:21 PM
You'll find perch are excellent eating. As for tips, I'd say very light line 2-4lb (some go 1lb but I've only tried 2lb), tiny jigs (Marmish are very good) and maggots for bait. Let your hook hit bottom, then lift up 6" and start twitching, pausing and lifting. Hold it still and watch your line. Check bait often. If maggots look dead replace with fresh. Just barely nick them through the side of the thick end so they live longest and wiggle best. A Marmish rod or bite indicator on a regular ice rod allows you to see the perch nibble if they are not aggressive.

Not sure if you got out but if you did I'm sure someone would drill a hole for you. If we were there we'd pop a bunch for you. Good luck!

outdoors unlimited
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Just got on here but there is always one of about four of us that would be more than glad to drill a hole for you.

Also there are usually an unlocked shack or two out there you can use, I know a couple of the guys that wouldn't mind until they need it, come on out.