PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod Biulding?

Off in the Bushes
03-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Are there any rod biulder in Lethbridge area that I might be able to talk to, I was looking at a new rod and was wondering if it is cheaper to biuld your own or purchase an assembled model to avoid all the head aches with finding the right line guides etc.
Is there a improvement with quaility if you do it your self?

Heron
03-05-2011, 08:38 AM
I am not sure about supplies in your area but there are many companies on the net that will ship very reasonably very fast. Will you save money? Depends what you build. My opinion is that you can save some money on the low and high end rods. For your first attempt I would get a low price kit from someone like Hook and Hackle. Just throw that name into Google and it will come up. You can build what I would consider a pretty decent fly rod for low cash. No head aches about guides or anything else you will need cause the lits are complete. Those low end rod blanks are probably better suited for smaller weight rods as the graphite modulus is not very high. Do some reading on modulus at the site below. Here are some pretty good instructions. There are 12 parts to this page.

http://flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/

An invaluable place for questions is rodbuilders.org

From what I have read and from experience some people will bang out nice rods right away while some struggle and make a mess. Since I tied flys before assembling rods I think some work with fine threads etc. transfered over.

People like Don Anderson build rods, others like me just assemble them.

calgarygringo
03-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Shoot Kingfisher a pm.
He is into rod building and is in cowtown area.

tacklerunner
03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes PM Kingfisher. He hooked me up with everything I needed. Built a rod. Huge satisfaction. Was great

clyde
03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Chinook Waters Fly Fishing Club in Lethbridge just started a rod building course last tuesday Check out http://www.cwffc.ca

Or send me a Pm and I can give you more info if you want