PDA

View Full Version : Salmon fishing lodges

straum
03-06-2011, 10:36 AM
If anyone has had an amazing salmon fishing experience could you pass along where you were. I've never been and would like to go. I looked at Duncanby Lodge so if anyone has been there I would like to hear about it. Any advise on what to look for would be appreciated. Thank you:thinking-006:

gramps73
03-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Maybe try to PM Jamie...

Skybuster
03-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Most of my experience with guided salmon fishing has been out of Rupert and Kitimat. day trips. Both have given great fishing. The guides in Rupert seem to have an attitude that needs adjustment. I was very unimpressed with the customer service. But they produced fish.

I have had a buddy charter out of Uclulet on Vancouver Island and he was very taken with how courteous the guides were. Also great fishing fown there.

If you are looking specifically at a lodge, take a look around and check out pricing. I've been on one 3 day trip where we stayed at there floating lodge up by Dundas, 4 of us, $1500 each for 3 days fishing 2 nights. We limited out on Coho, but again the guide needed some courtesy lessons. I have seen other lodges advertised for far more than that. Maybe you need to pay more to get courtesy, don't know. Other than courtesy the guides out both locations produce skads of fish. You'll have a blast.

Erik
03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Rivers inlet is incredibly quiet...for fish that is. There are better locations. Only reason to go to Rivers is to seek a 60+ lb fish and you can't be disappointed if you get skunked, cause that is a likely situation.

Jamie
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Straum

Most everything said above is 100% true.

We would love to have you join us at Great Pacific Salmon Lodge.

I can assure that our guides will be the most professional you have dealt with. That is one thing I am EXTREMLY adamant about. Though we can’t control the fish or the weather, we sure as heck can control everything in between. We have hired our guides out of all the top lodges in the North country. They know the water, they know the fish, they know the area and most importantly, they understand extreme customer service.

Oh and the fishing is fantastic.

Gramps, thank you so much for the referral. We really appreciate it.

Has everyone been to face book to check out some of the new photos?

Thanks
Jamie

Serengeti Charters
03-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Forgot to ask, How many of you are planning on going on the salmon trip? ...check out the photo gallery on our site, not many operations can post pics with the quantity of salmon, bottomfish, and halibut we catch...all real good sizes too (biggest Chinook in 2010 was 64lbs).

And I have Jamie, looks great!

Serengeti Charters
03-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Most of my experience with guided salmon fishing has been out of Rupert and Kitimat. day trips. Both have given great fishing. The guides in Rupert seem to have an attitude that needs adjustment. I was very unimpressed with the customer service. But they produced fish.

I have had a buddy charter out of Uclulet on Vancouver Island and he was very taken with how courteous the guides were. Also great fishing fown there.

If you are looking specifically at a lodge, take a look around and check out pricing. I've been on one 3 day trip where we stayed at there floating lodge up by Dundas, 4 of us, $1500 each for 3 days fishing 2 nights. We limited out on Coho, but again the guide needed some courtesy lessons. I have seen other lodges advertised for far more than that. Maybe you need to pay more to get courtesy, don't know. Other than courtesy the guides out both locations produce skads of fish. You'll have a blast.

I agree, the big name lodges charge a whole whack of money, based only off name and who they are catering too...as far as fishing it is a stretch to say it's worth it. Very nice locations and lodges with that being said though. The smaller operations usually, but not always, result in better customer service as they depend on word of mouth to book up every year. I know that's the way we do things as a full family operation, and after talking several times to Jamie, sure that is the what he does as well.

For a 3 day trip, 4 night trip with 4 people, it's $1575 per person with us out of Port Hardy, compare that to any of the big resorts and it's a bargain.

Skybuster
03-08-2011, 07:22 AM
I agree, the big name lodges charge a whole whack of money, based only off name and who they are catering too...as far as fishing it is a stretch to say it's worth it. Very nice locations and lodges with that being said though. The smaller operations usually, but not always, result in better customer service as they depend on word of mouth to book up every year. I know that's the way we do things as a full family operation, and after talking several times to Jamie, sure that is the what he does as well.

For a 3 day trip, 4 night trip with 4 people, it's $1575 per person with us out of Port Hardy, compare that to any of the big resorts and it's a bargain.

If I didn't have my own boat now, I think I would take a trip with you guys. Or even with Jamie, though he is a tad more expensive. Both of your outfits sound like they have the service I would expect in a guided trip. One thing I would recommend to anyone going on a guided trip is that a professional, courteous guide, who understands "extreme customer service" will make a world of difference. You may pay a bit more for the trip but the difference will be a cherished memory or a soured one.

Tight Lines everyone.

Sundancefisher
03-08-2011, 09:01 AM
I think everyone will agree you have to go regardless of where. Many lodges on the West Coast have been hit hard by the decrease in US clients. You will likely have a great time regardless of where you pick. Some places offer more luxury...others are more roughing it. I have been going to Langara Fishing Lodge as a group for some time now. They have treated us all extremely well and are in a great location. They have a 27th anniversary special on now... $2700 for a Spring trip. My trips are full for 2011 or I would have you come with me.

Things to make sure you ask are:

1) How long is a days fishing...dock to dock?
2) How long for extra time in the day if it is only an 8 hour day?
3) Can I take a boat out after I drop the guide off for no cost?
4) How far is it to travel one way to the main fishing grounds?
5) What are the extra costs for tips, license, taxes etc.

Tofinofish
03-08-2011, 09:28 AM
I think everyone will agree you have to go regardless of where. Many lodges on the West Coast have been hit hard by the decrease in US clients. You will likely have a great time regardless of where you pick. Some places offer more luxury...others are more roughing it. I have been going to Langara Fishing Lodge as a group for some time now. They have treated us all extremely well and are in a great location. They have a 27th anniversary special on now... $2700 for a Spring trip. My trips are full for 2011 or I would have you come with me.

Things to make sure you ask are:

1) How long is a days fishing...dock to dock?
2) How long for extra time in the day if it is only an 8 hour day?
3) Can I take a boat out after I drop the guide off for no cost?
4) How far is it to travel one way to the main fishing grounds?
5) What are the extra costs for tips, license, taxes etc.

Good list of realevant questions Sundance.

Also;
Is the lodge/outfitter prepared with extra foul weather gear?
Are the vessels open or do they provide any shelter?
Experience of guides to be assigned to your group?
Additional amenities, sites or experiences that might compliment the overall experience?

We still have some peak and shoulder season dates still available with some of the info here at our sponsor page (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=40). Our 3 day 4 night package is based at approx. $1450.00 per person with three per boat.

Salmon fishing is already excellent and is forecasted to be a phenominal year (http://www.tofinofishing.com/fishingreport/fishing_outlook_09.php).
Regardless of where you go, it should be a great season to fish on the coast as long as your lodge/Outfitter provides the best opportunities for you, but ask some questions and do some simple research before you book. Trip Advisor can also be a good resource for good (and bad) reviews.

Jay

Sundancefisher
03-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Good list of realevant questions Sundance.

Also;
Is the lodge/outfitter prepared with extra foul weather gear?
Are the vessels open or do they provide any shelter?
Experience of guides to be assigned to your group?
Additional amenities, sites or experiences that might compliment the overall experience?

We still have some peak and shoulder season dates still available with some of the info here at our sponsor page (http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=40). Our 3 day 4 night package is based at approx. $1450.00 per person with three per boat.

Salmon fishing is already excellent and is forecasted to be a phenominal year (http://www.tofinofishing.com/fishingreport/fishing_outlook_09.php).
Regardless of where you go, it should be a great season to fish on the coast as long as your lodge/Outfitter provides the best opportunities for you, but ask some questions and do some simple research before you book. Trip Advisor can also be a good resource for good (and bad) reviews.

Jay

Is there a functioning safety program that monitors where everyone is as well as changing weather and water conditions?

Is their only one main location you are fishing and as such is weather important?

Is fish cleaning, packaging and freezing included? Are shipping coolers provided?

What is transportation like to the lodge? What are your costs to get there?

What happens to your deposit/payment if you can not go due to illness, injury, family emergency, work emergency?

How many people in a boat or a room?

Can I pack Sundancefisher in a suitcase and bring him alone to help reel in fish?

Serengeti Charters
03-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Is there a functioning safety program that monitors where everyone is as well as changing weather and water conditions?

Is their only one main location you are fishing and as such is weather important?

Is fish cleaning, packaging and freezing included? Are shipping coolers provided?

What is transportation like to the lodge? What are your costs to get there?

What happens to your deposit/payment if you can not go due to illness, injury, family emergency, work emergency?

How many people in a boat or a room?

Can I pack Sundancefisher in a suitcase and bring him alone to help reel in fish?

This just made me laugh my butt off... :lol: One of your first questions about the time on water dock to dock is very key. In our area anyway there are only two operations, including us, who don't have limits on how long you are on the water; everyone else does a 6am-2pm dock to dock. Last year when I guided to our 64lbs Chinook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3vujQWBUY), my Dad and I were the only two boats there. :) With that being said when you are paying guides to be on water, it makes it hard to do that...but that's the nice thing about being a family business. Our philosophy is you have to be out on the water for the best tides, we want you to be on fish and having a hoot. Man...I love talking fishing :D

All 3 forum sponsors on here are good for customer service from my understanding :)

Tofinofish
03-08-2011, 01:39 PM
This just made me laugh my butt off... :lol: One of your first questions about the time on water dock to dock is very key. In our area anyway there are only two operations, including us, who don't have limits on how long you are on the water; everyone else does a 6am-2pm dock to dock. Last year when I guided to our 64lbs Chinook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz3vujQWBUY), my Dad and I were the only two boats there. :) With that being said when you are paying guides to be on water, it makes it hard to do that...but that's the nice thing about being a family business. Our philosophy is you have to be out on the water for the best tides, we want you to be on fish and having a hoot. Man...I love talking fishing :D

All 3 forum sponsors on here are good for customer service from my understanding :)

The way it should be David,,
Even though my Staff are all paid for hours booked, not hours fished, they enjoy the ability to stretch any trip out that they want or are able to based on other commitments. I encourage them to make the right decision for the guests based on providing the best experience, not what time it is.
They are happy with this, and the guests are happy with this....
We too are a family run operation, allowing the experience to be paramount, beyond that of time or catch limits.

Sundancefisher
03-08-2011, 02:05 PM
There are all kinds of fishermen.

Some lodge types

Some folks like the structured wake up...everyone eats breaky...everyone goes to their boats...everyone fishes...everyone come in for lunch...then out for an afternoon bite...then back in early for dinner... Repeat.

Some folks like the wake up when you want..fish 8-10 hours...back for dinner

Some folks like waking up before dawn...in the boat just as the light is coming up and then back in the dock at dusk.

Conflicts

I am a fishing fanatic...even if we have our limit...I don't fish for salmon every day...it is a treat and therefore I am game to fish till I pass out. In a strict guided operation...that is tough. It is tough on the system and the guide. It is always a tight rope walk between me wanting to fish till I pass out and knowing the guide is working hard and will soon pass out also...especially if trip after trip is like that.

I like the option to go back out on my own if the guide must come in for any reason. But that means paying attention to what the guide does so you can fish with some success. Doing things yourself comes with it frustration...but also big emotional rewards.

Types of fishermen

After all that there is also a split of people fishing...

Firstly there is the fanatic group. They will fish anywheres...anytime and will often come back year after year. For salmon guys...they also want the meat to take home. If they miss a trip they mope around and lose sleep and bug their wife till they get smacked.

Secondly there is the keen group. They will want to fish every 2 to 3 years... If they can't...they don't usually lose sleep over it...but they love it when out fishing.

Thirdly there is the bucket list team. They want to come once and try and it out. Sometimes they turn into the first or second group...but typically see them once and never again. They are often the ones that are beeming back at the dock and super happy for the experience.

IMHO

Serengeti Charters
03-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Key is that no matter which class of fishermen they are, we still give em the best possible trip, regardless if they would rebook or not. The bucket list groups are often some of the most fun we'll have on the water because they are going crazy, hooting and hollering, when they catch a fish...it's amazing!!! I usually get more excited than the clients when we catch a nice fish, always have, and probably always will, love fishing that much, so it's nice to see the excitement level of those kind of fishermen.

I can't even focus on this stuff I'm reading...too excited for fishing season.

Sundancefisher
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Key is that no matter which class of fishermen they are, we still give em the best possible trip, regardless if they would rebook or not. The bucket list groups are often some of the most fun we'll have on the water because they are going crazy, hooting and hollering, when they catch a fish...it's amazing!!! I usually get more excited than the clients when we catch a nice fish, always have, and probably always will, love fishing that much, so it's nice to see the excitement level of those kind of fishermen.

I can't even focus on this stuff I'm reading...too excited for fishing season.

I agree. First timers bring out the kid in everyone. Total honest excitement. It is refreshing. Like seeing through your kids eyes to what you take for granted around you.

caver77
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
I have had fantastic experiences out on the Queen Charlottes. West Coast Resorts and Queen Charlotte Lodge. If I had more expendable income I'd go out there every year(maybe many times :) ). Five star on both of them the whole way around. Caught a near hundred pound hali and the east side one year, and the last time out a fishing, while we were there a guy fishing out by us had a MONSTER salmon coming in and an orca came and stole the back 2/3 of the fish, just the head on the fish weighed in like 27lbs! It likely would have been pushing close to 80lb if hadn't been gulped,it was insane. Every time out there it has been non stop action and a great experience.

Jamie
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
This is a great thread with lots of fantastic info.
I have been trying to reply all day long, but it's been extremly busy today.

Sundance has the start of the exact right idea.
Other things I would put on my "Ask" list
-What types of boats are they running? ARe they covered? Are they comfortable? Do they have heat?
-What type of equipment do you use?
-Is your lodge waterfront or do we have to drive to get to the boats?
-What type of training/level of experience do your guides have?
-How is your catch taken care of? Is it just put in a Safeway bag and handed to you? Or is it professionally taken care of?
-Ask about the little costs that can add up. Is your license included? Is the butchering of your catch a “EXTRA”. You get a full license and the costs to have it vacuumed packed and frozen could easily be $200 per person. We don’t believe in doing that to our clients. There is no little costs with us.

For me personally, I appreciate being staying waterfront and directly by the dock, I appreciate high quality gear but most importantly I need to know that my guides know what they are doing as far as safety goes. People have accidents every year on the coast while out fishing. I have 2 kids and wife I need to come home to. I assume my guest do as well. That is why Safety is our number one concern.

This is just one of the reasons why we here at Great Pacific Salmon Lodge are really getting behind a new standard of qualification being pushed by government agencies.
The program is called "CTAG". Very interesting stuff that may become a game changer to those not involved.
The big reason I love this program is that it reads just like it was ripped from our employee hand book.
I know that some guides are having issues with this program but Great Pacific Salmon Lodge is 100% behind it at this time.
Here is a link to the new program.
http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/docs/sfi%20ctag%20-%20december%202010.pdf
Before booking this year, make sure you ask if your lodge is involved with this program. Do it for yourself, your safety and the enjoyment of your trip.
As it stands right now, almost anyone can get a boat and call themselves a charter operation. This new program will allow the industry to be more accountable and safety orientated.

Our trips are all flexible. Due to the nature of our fantastic location, we are not able to offer any self guided situations. But we do fish 10 hours a day on the water and our guides know that if we want happy guests, some days will be longer. They are also aware that if the clients are hitting the best run of Salmon in history and they wish t go look at whales, then so be it. Great Pacific Salmon lodge isn’t all about the catching; it’s about the whole experience. It’s the scenery, it’s the fish, it’s the history of our location, it’s the wildlife, it’s the food, it’s the relaxation of knowing everything is taken care of for you, it’s the ability to get up have a hot breakfast and get on the boat, it’s your catch being professional wrapped frozen and ready to eat during these long winters, it’s the comfortable pillow top beds, it’s the safe and oh so comfortable heated Skagit Orca boats, it’s top of the line equipment, It’s everything I ever wanted put into a lodge and everything else I didn’t like taken out.

However that being said, if this trip is all about filling the freezer or any combination of the above, our guides can and will take care of that as well.

Jamie

Sundancefisher
03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
I have been trying to reply all day long, but it's been extremely busy today.

-What types of boats are they running? Are they covered? Are they comfortable? Do they have heat?
-How is your catch taken care of? Is it just put in a Safeway bag and handed to you? Or is it professionally taken care of?
-Ask about the little costs that can add up. Is your license included? Is the butchering of your catch a “EXTRA”. You get a full license and the costs to have it vacuumed packed and frozen could easily be $200 per person. We don’t believe in doing that to our clients. There is no little costs with us.

For me personally, I appreciate being staying waterfront and directly by the dock, I appreciate high quality gear but most importantly I need to know that my guides know what they are doing as far as safety goes. People have accidents every year on the coast while out fishing. I have 2 kids and wife I need to come home to. I assume my guest do as well. That is why Safety is our number one concern.

This is just one of the reasons why we here at Great Pacific Salmon Lodge are really getting behind a new standard of qualification being pushed by government agencies.
The program is called "CTAG". Very interesting stuff that may become a game changer to those not involved.
The big reason I love this program is that it reads just like it was ripped from our employee hand book.
I know that some guides are having issues with this program but Great Pacific Salmon Lodge is 100% behind it at this time.
Before booking this year, make sure you ask if your lodge is involved with this program. Do it for yourself, your safety and the enjoyment of your trip.
As it stands right now, almost anyone can get a boat and call themselves a charter operation. This new program will allow the industry to be more accountable and safety orientated.

Our trips are all flexible. Due to the nature of our fantastic location, we are not able to offer any self guided situations. But we do fish 10 hours a day on the water and our guides know that if we want happy guests, some days will be longer. They are also aware that if the clients are hitting the best run of Salmon in history and they wish t go look at whales, then so be it. Great Pacific Salmon lodge isn’t all about the catching; it’s about the whole experience. It’s the scenery, it’s the fish, it’s the history of our location, it’s the wildlife, it’s the food, it’s the relaxation of knowing everything is taken care of for you, it’s the ability to get up have a hot breakfast and get on the boat, it’s your catch being professional wrapped frozen and ready to eat during these long winters, it’s the comfortable pillow top beds, it’s the safe and oh so comfortable heated Skagit Orca boats, it’s top of the line equipment, It’s everything I ever wanted put into a lodge and everything else I didn’t like taken out.

However that being said, if this trip is all about filling the freezer or any combination of the above, our guides can and will take care of that as well.

Jamie

Great post Jamie. It sounds like you have a quality operation started there. I hope people see the value of what you have to offer and take advantage of it before you book up solid.

Sun

Sundancefisher
03-09-2011, 11:18 AM
any other ideas out there?

I actually have a form I use when picking a lodge each year...comparison of apples to apples.

I can probably share that with you Jamie. PM me your email address.

Sun

Jamie
03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Sundance.
Any help would be appreciated. You have a Email.

Thanks
Jamie

Serengeti Charters
03-09-2011, 02:45 PM
I have been trying to reply all day long, but it's been extremly busy today.

-What types of boats are they running? ARe they covered? Are they comfortable? Do they have heat?

Jamie

CTAG is new Jamie, but regulations to make guides safe and responsible have been around since about 2003. There are numerous courses one had to take plus safety inspections one had to have in order to become a guide. CTAG is actually just for guides that are just starting up, as a way to bundle all the courses together and get it done all at once. The actual salmon fishing portion of the test is a big joke...it asks questions like "which end of the flasher do you attach the leader to"...I think anyone who has salmon fished one day in their life could tell you that.

CTAG for those who were already qualified is really nothing but a money grab. For example, I have my Limited Masters ticket, one that allows me to operate a boat up to 60 gross tons...most that guide don't need that, it is overkill, but since our boat is over 27ft, I needed it due to Transport Canada regulations. I don't think the correct question is to ask them if they are involved in CTAG, but a better question would be to ask if they have all their Transport Canada certified courses as well as has their boat been inspected by transport Canada and have all the required safety gear. Should they say yes, you can request a fax of their certificate that verifies this. One thing our boat has is a life raft...that is key...one thing that will save your life hands down before any other piece of safety equipment in the frigid west coast waters.

I think most operations put safety first, or at least I hope...even before catching fish...risks are not worth taking.

Sundancefisher
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
sea worthy boat...now that can be scary.

A buddy chartered a boat out of Port Alberni. When he got to the dock the guy arrived with the boat in tow...

He put it in the water within 1/2 hour they were away. He thought it was a nice enough boat...a little older...big but comfortable...Big inboard...lots of power...

...until

Put...put...petter...glog...quiet. Drifting to Japan. Hmmm...my buddy thought...being somewhat handy... He ask the captain. The captain said the boat has been acting sluggish the last while...probably just needs a spark plug cleaning.

My buddy opens the "hood"... and the engine is almost surrounded in water. The boat is SINKING!

So first thing first...they start bailing like crazy. They make headway and after 4 hours drifting...with no radio...gets the boat running again.

They make it back to Port A...no fishing done. The next day the guy calls to apologize...pretty upset not that he ruined a guys day...but cause the boat was a total write off. No longer seaworthy. He figured he could make the boat last by pulling it out every day to let it drain...but never did any maintenance or repairs. Scary.

Could of been tragic. Boat seaworthiness. Priceless.

Jamie
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM
David, I highly doubt when they designed this program it was with company’s like yours in mind.
I believe had had a lot more to do with the fly by night guys.

As for the content of the program, I believe you are severely understating what is to be learned. Just the hours alone show the level of education required to pass. Then add on 500 hours of on water experience. It's a heavy hit for some guys. For others, they can just write the challenge exam.
I can sure imagine our clients deserving more than this (Read Sundances post) but this is a good start.

So between that and perhaps a start of a united voice for all charter operators, I cant see this being anything but great.

All our guides are in the process of challenging the exam and Great Pacific Salmon Lodge will be a charter member of this organisation.

Sundance... YIKES!!!!!!!!!
Jamie

madatter
03-09-2011, 05:40 PM
If anyone has had an amazing salmon fishing experience could you pass along where you were. I've never been and would like to go. I looked at Duncanby Lodge so if anyone has been there I would like to hear about it. Any advise on what to look for would be appreciated. Thank you:thinking-006:

My better half was lucky enough to fish Eagle Pointe Lodge way up north in BC and raved about it.....
We are still eating salmon!
I guess Jim Shaw owns it.....he comes in on a helicopter while poor people come in on float planes....thank god it was free for her!

fordtruckin
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Alaska's Deshka River Lodge outside Willow Alaska has some AMAZING King fishing! I'm not sure if its still in business as the owners were having problems but it was a pretty sweet set up. I think they have a facebook page. Good lucK!

blackpheasant
03-09-2011, 11:24 PM
My better half was lucky enough to fish Eagle Pointe Lodge way up north in BC and raved about it.....
We are still eating salmon!
I guess Jim Shaw owns it.....he comes in on a helicopter while poor people come in on float planes....thank god it was free for her! He has a heli pad on his boat as well...we saw his boat (ship) sailing north in the Strait a couple of years ago, they say Oprah was on board going up to check out her newest home away from home, apparently she purchased an Island up there not sure which one though...:shark: