PDA

View Full Version : Freedom for 6 days!

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
LOL! Just dropped the wife and son off at the airport this morning. Nice to be alone again for a while. Going to get some serious fishing in!

Today: Eagle this afternoon till dark
Tomorrow: Spray early am. Then driving to Edmonton this evening.
Friday-Sun: Lesser Slave!

Never fished slave before so we're pretty excited!

I may get out Monday as well but do have to work, so if Slave is good I might just be recovering.

Anyone wants to tag along, stop and say hi, etc. send me a PM.

AlbertaAngler
03-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Sounds like fun,

I'm Jealous

Triple Threat
03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Have a good time. Take some pics and enjoy!!

baitfisher83
03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Man I wish I had 6 days of fishing to do...lol

baitfisher83
03-09-2011, 10:17 AM
And let me know what Eagle ends up being like, I wont get out there this winter but may have to drag a friend out in the spring..lol

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm guessing disgusting and gross so if I don't post anytihng tonight please send a search party because I've been gassed out!

iluvfishin
03-09-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm guessing disgusting and gross so if I don't post anytihng tonight please send a search party because I've been gassed out!

Yes, please settle the discussion and let us know how it went!!

baitfisher83
03-09-2011, 10:33 AM
lol it can't be that bad, guys on this site have been known to over exaggerate :P

Bound2Fish
03-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Haha, dont worry. I might be heading out that way too. I will come find you and have been trained in CPR.

critter
03-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Dude go to cold lake, this is an ideal weekend for it, big lakers all day. i can never fish spray again after being there, only a 6 hour drive.

Jimboy
03-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Dude go to cold lake, this is an ideal weekend for it, big lakers all day. i can never fish spray again after being there, only a 6 hour drive.

ONLY hes says:scared:

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
You've never been to Slave? Sorry dude, 200 walleye and burbs are better than lakers that I can always catch another day. Never been to cold either and likely never will but have been to waterbury SK and had many a 20+ lb one on the line.

Badback
03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Hey Chris....You phoning in sick for the week...:lol:

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Using my flex days...use them or lose them! And since in only 18 working days left at that DAMN place....the less I'm there the better :)

critter
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
You've never been to Slave? Sorry dude, 200 walleye and burbs are better than lakers that I can always catch another day. Never been to cold either and likely never will but have been to waterbury SK and had many a 20+ lb one on the line.

I strongly disagree. Which means nothing, cus its all about what species you prefer to target haha. Not in a million years would i target walleye and burbs over lakers, or in general, by personal preferance. Cold lake has insane burbot and good walleye/pike too, and marie lake right next to cold lake has loads of big walleye apparently. Either way, a sore arm at the end of every day caused by a 7lb average and a chance at a 50+ pound fish is not something to be experienced targetting walleye or ling.

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I strongly disagree. Which means nothing, cus its all about what species you prefer to target haha. Not in a million years would i target walleye and burbs over lakers, or in general, by personal preferance. Cold lake has insane burbot and good walleye/pike too, and marie lake right next to cold lake has loads of big walleye apparently. Either way, a sore arm at the end of every day and a chance at a 50+ pound fish is not something to be experienced targetting walleye or ling.

To each his own. I wouldn't trade any trout fishing for walleye fishing, EVER. How is dropping hook down and every time getting a fish fun? SURE for a while, but where's the challenge LOL :fighting0074:

Cold lake is a great place for sure. Not saying it isn't but don't tell me how to spend my weekend!:snapoutofit:

aulrich
03-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Love the wife (mine of course) and the kids but un-encumbered days are great, don't really notice they are gone for about three days then I start missing them.

Fish till you arms fall off!!!

Fishfinder
03-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Freedom indeed! Lucky man, have fun, hope u get into some Large Walters!!
Cheers n GL!:)

Daceminnow
03-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I strongly disagree. Which means nothing, cus its all about what species you prefer to target haha. Not in a million years would i target walleye and burbs over lakers, or in general, by personal preferance. Cold lake has insane burbot and good walleye/pike too, and marie lake right next to cold lake has loads of big walleye apparently. Either way, a sore arm at the end of every day caused by a 7lb average and a chance at a 50+ pound fish is not something to be experienced targetting walleye or ling.

critter from the sounds of your reports the last few weeks on this and other forums it seems you've become quite the expert on the big water @ Cold and in only a trip or two up there. i remember you asking for tips for up there in exchange for some help at Spray (which you've also mentioned you'll never fish again since you've been up north?) i offered, and never heard back from you. i'm so happy you were able to do it all on your own. after posting that great video from Spray it's too bad you keep forgetting your camera in the car when you go up to Cold. love to see some pics of these "BIG" lakers you've caught, not just the guppies you've posted.

PS. Have you tried The Cold Lake Special?
Dace.

critter
03-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Daceminnow- By no means am i an expert, but i do think im a good fisherman. I just have the most experience with lakers than any other fish as i grew up fishing in the algonquin park of ontario and always targetted lakers. I stuck with what worked for me on other water bodies, and it worked at Cold. I will say that my rigs the first day i fished that lake were different from the last trip i took there in terms of leader #/length, trailer hook setup, chunks of bait (how to cut it) and presentation. So there was a learning curve, but i caught on fairly quick. And part of it may be that im just not used to such a good fishery compared to spray and other lakes i always fish on. The smallest fish you catch at cold lake would be what you hope for at spray. That being said, i still catch lots of fish, and usually hook a 15+ pounder per trip so its working out ok. As far as where to go, its really not that hard to find good spots. When people say "go find everyone else" its basically true. And other than that, we were lucky to meet some people that gave us great gps coordinates. So all this combined has been decent with just a few trips there.
As for the spray message you sent me, i got about 20 so i replied to about 12 of the most sincere ones with maps and specific directions, but unfortunately you must not have been one that i replied to. I can get you those spots if you like. I got some cold lake advice from a few people who sent maps and such which stood out. Im going there this weekend with a camera and will have pics/video when i return. I havent tried the cold lake special but it sounds intriguing. I just use alot of scent with half an earplug in my tube jig so it oozes scent for hours, and go up with lotsa cut bait prepared, and seem to do pretty well. We will see this weekend how consistant it is. cheers

The Fisherman Guy
03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Ug, I smell another derailment. Knock it off!!!

Have fun Musty!! You have earned some fishin' time this past winter. Let's meet up for a fish before you fly the coop back to Saskie.

goober
03-09-2011, 07:32 PM
Best of luck up at Slave dude!!! I wish I were in your shoes but am the exact opposite right now. Wife left today for Invermere and will be home on Monday. So I am a single father for the time being! I hope you have better luck at Slave then we did last week. PM on the way.

crown royal 17
03-09-2011, 08:11 PM
You'll have a good time fishing here, couple of tips for you:
If you can pick up your minnows from Speedee Mart last convience store north on main street they are the only one that has (Candle Lake minnows)fish with them unthawed.Gulp or the purple spray scent on the jig head only.
I use mono and no leaders or swivels and jig head with a small blade or rattle for walleye and burb's .
I always out fish my buddies with these combinations.
Hope this helps you catch a few more fish .

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks CR and GOOB for the tips. I have every color and style of heads imaginable...so I'll be cycling through.

EAGLE REPORT:

The eagle has NOT landed! You need a very good 4x4 (that works, eh Jason?) and access is crap. No fish to be seen though.

jts1
03-09-2011, 09:08 PM
I am off for 5 days starting fri morn. Let me know if you want another partner in crime.

nicemustang
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I am off for 5 days starting fri morn. Let me know if you want another partner in crime.

Friday morning or tomorrow night? Because we are leaving tomorrow night and just might have a free spot.

jts1
03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
No I work a night shift tomorrow night. I will get in next time. Guess its local fishing for me.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-09-2011, 10:25 PM
LOL! Just dropped the wife and son off at the airport this morning. Nice to be alone again for a while. Going to get some serious fishing in!

Today: Eagle this afternoon till dark
Tomorrow: Spray early am. Then driving to Edmonton this evening.
Friday-Sun: Lesser Slave!

Never fished slave before so we're pretty excited!

I may get out Monday as well but do have to work, so if Slave is good I might just be recovering.

Anyone wants to tag along, stop and say hi, etc. send me a PM.

Chris your in for a good trip then over the weekend . Some nice Walleye to be had in there not to mention some monster snot rockets .

And why would so many push for Cold Lake , its a good place sure but you get into them lakers its damn near impossible to keep them off your hook , Walleye I guess can be the same , but Walleye fishing is all about that challange .Thats defenetly the best thing about it . Be safe ,tight lines .

Alberta Bigbore
03-09-2011, 10:36 PM
wow 6 days?? soooo jealous

Crusty
03-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Once you find them, there is no challenge to catching walleye at slave. No fight, no fun! After an hour and a half it's pretty boring.

Bound2Fish
03-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks CR and GOOB for the tips. I have every color and style of heads imaginable...so I'll be cycling through.

EAGLE REPORT:

The eagle has NOT landed! You need a very good 4x4 (that works, eh Jason?) and access is crap. No fish to be seen though.

Haha, not true. I made it out in 2wd. For some reason my front diff wansn't kicking in and just spinning on the spot, but with a bit of pushing and alot of throttle, we made it off the lake. Thanks to Chris for coming back in case I wasnt able to, so I give him props for that.

As for the fishing, yeah it stinks, almost as much as the lake and surrounding cow s**t. Water clairty is next to nothing and there were no fish to be found. Might be worth a shot in summer but as for hard water, just drive past it, not worth the stop.

nicemustang
03-10-2011, 05:11 PM
UPDATE:

Spray lakes today was fun. We caught 6, lost probably twice as many that we on. Once again I had a real nice one on that got off. One day, spray, one day!

Its blizzarded the whole time and must have been 6"+ of fresh snow and still coming down. There is A LOT OF SNOW on the lake, very tough walking. Pretty much knee deep and pretty soft. We took WAY TO MUCH STUFF lol, just about had a heart attack. A bit windy but very mild.

As usual, half smelts on buzz bombs or tube jigs were the winners. Nothing big to report.

MWD 800
03-10-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for letting me tag along Chris and Derek. I had a great time.

nicemustang
03-14-2011, 09:31 PM
We had a great time on Slave. Weater was the shats with a strong east wind and fishing wasn't great but shack was good and beer was tastey. Caught 2 walleye (51 and 53 cm), lots of burbs and a few small pike. Had fish to east friday and saturday so not bad. Will be doing it again, maybe try January next time.

A couple of pic of me with some fishies.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/IMG-20110311-00026.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Fishing/IMG-20110311-00028.jpg