PDA

View Full Version : Mourning the loss of big fish

Sundancefisher
03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11005624

This was an interesting video.

I have repeatedly caught fish before that I can recognize. I can not imagine seeing and catching the same fish over a 20 year + span of time. I guess I can see how someone can get attached...especially when it is unique. Kinda like a pet of sorts or a smarter challenge year over year.

Anyone have any stories of big fish in Alberta you fished for year after year then felt the loss when it was gone?

Just wondering.

uplander
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
I found a small little creek in the Rockies 10 years ago and there was this little pool but it had a huge brookie in it he was about 15 inches big and fat, I caught him for 5 years straight then on the sixth year he never took my fly and I still go back to that creek to find him but still nothing must be dead!!

WalleyeDeitz
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
While guiding in the Yukon, we caught a 42" Pike 3 times one summer under the same overhanging log in an off shoot of a river system. Another guide caught her once as well under the same log. It was very distinguishable due to a "broken back" or bend in the pikes back towards the tail. Only worked there one season but would love to know if she was still there the next. Holding her was like saying hello to a friend on the second and third catches so I totally know what they are talking about. Made me look good when I could say to a guest, see that over hanging log right there? Throw your streamer right under it and strip like hell....wham, pike of a lifetime on the end and me looking like I know what I am doing...which is rare of course.

I have also snapped off flys on about 3 occasions that I can think of, only to catch the same fish with my fly in its mouth shortly after. Once a rainbow trout and the other two greyling.

coorslight
03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
on time i lost a walleye flyer ice fishing then grabbed another hook put it down the same hole a i caught this little 4 5 inch perch with my walleye flyer in it mouth

Jwood 456
03-09-2011, 05:03 PM
on time i lost a walleye flyer ice fishing then grabbed another hook put it down the same hole a i caught this little 4 5 inch perch with my walleye flyer in it mouth

Lol, that sounds simular to an expereince I had. I remember fishing a lake near Edson and this pike nearly dragged my rod into the lake. Miracuoulsy I grabbed the rod just in the nick of time and, however the pike bit through my line and I lost the lure. About an hour later, I spot an allright sized pike that looks to be a 5+lber on the camera, with my cut off lure in it's mouth. Then the pike takes my fishing partner's lure. Sure enough, the bottom of the rod handle cracks and then the pike cuts him off too.:sign0176:

Talk about the cursed bandit pike.:scared0018::sHa_sarcasticlol:

rielbowhunter
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
I found a small little creek in the Rockies 10 years ago and there was this little pool but it had a huge brookie in it he was about 15 inches big and fat, I caught him for 5 years straight then on the sixth year he never took my fly and I still go back to that creek to find him but still nothing must be dead!!

Sorry I might have ate him.

Paul C
03-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Many moons ago I was having a tough time tieing on my fly to my tippet.
The only relief was going to my eye doctor with a piece of fishing line, favorite fly and complain that I could not see the hook hole..............
I just about broke down due to the stress.

Dust1n
03-13-2011, 09:37 AM
a river in the central alberta paries when i seen the 27 inch brown trout dead on the side of the bank...

fluxcore
03-13-2011, 01:17 PM
Ive been lucky enough to catch the same bull trout every spring in the same pool on the Clearwater for the last 3 seasons:) I have the date marked on the calender so I don't keep him waiting, defiantly like seeing an old friend every year.

Photoplex
03-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I really miss fishing for monster carp back home in the UK.

Paul C
03-13-2011, 02:32 PM
I really miss fishing for monster carp back home in the UK.
Nice avatar. Who are you taking aim at ?:)

Photoplex
03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Nice avatar. Who are you taking aim at ?:)

My buddy, who was not very pleased :)

Dust1n
03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
nice bully