PDA

View Full Version : Smoking whitefish question.

Northern
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Just want to know what type of wood chips I should try on my "True North" smoker. Got a freezer full of whites that need smoking!!

Also some guys use a brine with brown sugar and extra spices. A guy at works swears by just sprinkling pickling salt and letting it sit over night. I am undecided. I'll try both I guess. Any suggestions? Thanks.

1shotwade
03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
This is my favourite out of many I use! this is the brine I use for 3 whitefish at a time and smoke them in my true north smoker!
1. 1 litre of pure apple juice!
2. 1 1/2 cups of soy sauce
3. 3/4 cup brown sugar
4. rub down with course sea salt!
I let them brine for 3 days and then let dry at room temperture! 2 pans of maple chips!! about 10 hours in the smoker and make sure to alternate racks every 2-3 hours!:sign0111:

jpietrzak1979
03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Brown sugar is excellent, but I propose to you that molasses is in fact the best addition to a good smoking brine. This of course is just personal taste. Anyhow to the main question, Alder has proven to be the best wood to smoke with in my opinion at least. This is after extensive testing of all other wood types and provides a mellow and deep smoky flavor. I rather like to use 3 pans if the fish is fairly thick.

Dust1n
03-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Concenrated apple wood

BEL
03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
When smoking whites, do you guys leave the fish whole and skin on or fillet and leave skin on? BEL

Safety D
03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
leave the skin on and for sure fillet them. Smoked whites are the best. Use more brown sugar and less salt them most recipes say. Smoked whites are hands down the best fish to smoke and taste amazing !!!!! Geez that sounds so good I am going to the fridge right now for some more !!!!

deanmc
03-10-2011, 08:35 PM
X2 on the alder being best.

Safety D
03-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Alder is best too !!!!

New Hunter Okotoks
03-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Enough!!!! This thread is driving me nuts. I used to buy smoked whitefish when I lived in Ontario. I can't seem to catch any thus making smoking any impossible! LOL!

Anyone know of a place to purchase good smoked whitefish in south Calgary/Okotoks area?

pikester
03-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Enough!!!! This thread is driving me nuts. I used to buy smoked whitefish when I lived in Ontario. I can't seem to catch any thus making smoking any impossible! LOL!

Anyone know of a place to purchase good smoked whitefish in south Calgary/Okotoks area?

I could catch some & sell them to you but the price is @ $50/lb by the time I figure in gas, lunch, bait etc. :126fs2277341:

New Hunter Okotoks
03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
I could catch some & sell them to you but the price is @ $50/lb by the time I figure in gas, lunch, bait etc. :126fs2277341:

That is an absolute BARGAIN compared to what I would have to charge for Walleye fillets just to cover expenses LOL! I have enjoyed 2 fillets from 1 fish this year and would hate to add up total costs! LOL!

Daceminnow
03-10-2011, 09:32 PM

can hook you up with a commercial guy out of alberta beach. not smoked, whole fresh. convince stang to pick them up for you on his way back from slave.

jimfaster
03-11-2011, 03:25 AM
one thing I do is take all the bones of fine nets as soon as I get out of the smoker, use a pair of needle nose pliers and go right down the net.