PDA

View Full Version : Portable fish finder

Doc Holiday
11-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Anyone use a portable fishfinder... say like a hummingbird or eagle? Do they have a dc plug fer a ciggy lighter, or just batteries. pros or cons compared to a fix mounted one?? Sorry fer all the ???, but Santa ... just might be buildin such a thing fer old Doc.

TundraBuck
11-26-2007, 09:38 PM
If you want one for ice fishing, go with a flasher. Marcum or Vexilar. Will never fish without one ever again!

muzzy
11-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I have an eagle portable had it for years Its not a flasher it draw's bottom contours and shows fish with pixels flashing and a sound warning Its been trouble free and great Uses 2 6 volt batteries that last awhole season of heavy usage It has a rubber suction cup on transducer and i take it on my 14 ft aluminum car top boat all the time I like it way better than flasher as way more detail of bottom and fish

Gord

Doc Holiday
11-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Thx guys, somr research is in order.

Salvelinus
11-27-2007, 10:44 PM
I have an eagle fisheasy 245. Good in open water, but the 8 AA batteries last about 2 hours in the deep cold (much longer in the shack). She works pretty well, especially on a place like spray lakes at over 100' depth. Otherwise, really only very useful for checking depth before drilling. A camera is a much better toy for hardwater season.

Doc Holiday
11-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Thx Sal, can a fella run one on.. say a 19' inboard ski/fish boat? Would like some feedback if any one does..., be handy fer summer or winter no?? Like on the boat in summer, then, hit the ice. Just curios. Thx.

Salvelinus
11-27-2007, 11:30 PM
It can be used anywhere you want on whatever craft you want. I've used mine thru the ice, on a friend's 14' fishing rig, a friend's 20' ski boat, in a kayak and on my little pontoon boat... But for ice season just isn't near as practical as a flasher (vexilar) or camera

Outt and Aboutt
11-29-2007, 01:39 PM
I use my old Eagle fisheasy that I take off my boat. I just bolt the mounting bracket down to a small plank so it will stand up (I rest it on my sled), then carry a small 12V gel-cel battery with me and hook the power cable up to that (the battery is about 1X2X3" and is very light). It will run for days in the coldest weather.
I used to attach the transducer to a stick to hold it in the hole, but now I just dangle it down the hole by the cable. Works great.
D