PDA

View Full Version : Costco Kingfisher 3 vs CanTire SubZero 4 person Tundra Tuff

portwein
03-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!

Easywean
03-12-2011, 01:57 PM
I have the Kingfisher 3, its been great all winter. Easy setup and easy to put back in the bag. 1 plastic window cracked, otherwise no issues. Can't speak for the subzero but the Kingfisher is definitely good value at under $200

Geezle
03-12-2011, 02:02 PM
The Sub Zero is a decent tent...it's just a rebadged Ice Cube.

No experience with the Kingfisher, but from what I've seen they seem pretty decent - way better than the Fish-Inn at any rate.

FishingFrenzy
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I like my kingfisher alot! Easy setup, strong material.

MY complaints about it are: Velcro is only at the top of windows, not all around. The black coating isn't applied very well (there is alot of "pinholes") but it doesn't matter much to me.. doesn't seem to effect how i can see down the hole.

You will have to get the kingfisher online however because costco is out.. at least edmonton SS is.

Willowtrail
03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
I love my Kingfisher 3. I've used the crap out of it this winter and can't really complain about anything. The lack of velcro around the windows doesn't bother me but I use a tv. Skirts great and no cracked windows. Thniking of upsizing next year to the 6 man, so I'll have both sizes. Plus I can stand up in it and not hunched over.

No expirience with the other 2 though.

skiwili
03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
for whoever looking to buy Subzero , they are on sale now at Candadian Tire50% off. Got one yesterday :)

Shmag
03-13-2011, 07:21 AM
I think i bought a 4 man subzero. In actuallity it is comfortable for about 2 adults and a bit of gear. The quality seems to be standing up good and it sets up and takes down good. Just wish it was a bit taller as its nice to stand and stretch every now and then, and even for going in/out of the door. I had mine side by side to an ice cube and looked like the ice cube stood at least a foot taller.

I dont think i have seen the costco ones up close yet

Paul C
03-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated!!!!

Thanks!
Those tents are ok. They are a sob to set up in the wind. Poles sometimes break which is a pain in the buttocks when you are fishing on the lake.

portwein
03-13-2011, 04:48 PM
thanks a lot for info! is was very helpful!

good luck on the ice and water!

MeYammy
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I love my 4 man subzero. Good windows, no cracks, velcro all the way around. Long skirt really helps block out the wind. Very good zipper. Easily fits back in the storage bag, which makes packing up at the end of a long cold day, out in the wind, so much better than struggling with the other ones that don't pack away as nice. Easy set up...easy take down...less than a minute.

All of the complaints with the Costco ones have never been a problem with the subzero.

meatman
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
I bought the subzero four man a couple of months ago for $300 at Canadian Tire in Calgary. It's nothing special but has been reliable so far in all conditions. It has stood up to some pretty nasty wind. It is 6 foot 8 inches inside and we have had three guys fishing pretty comfortably. For 2 guys and a dog it is a palace.

Compared some of the other more expensive models the zippers, vents and flaps seem kind of cheap, but after about a dozen uses I have not had any problems.

My main complaint is the small door size and only 2 windows. Also the roof vent is small so I have to open the door a little for venting when the heater is running.

kargor
03-14-2011, 09:55 PM
just picked up the Sub Zero 4 man today , 1/2 price at Canadian tire , sets up really easy , good heavy material , tons of room , I am 5' 8 and there is lots of head room , it comes with 8 ice pegs , will try it on the ice this wknd :sHa_shakeshout:

Jiffy10
03-15-2011, 09:04 AM
CHeap stuff !! now that I have everyones attention......

Maybe a bit off topic but... I was snoopin around in the fishin stuff
at Can Tire in St. Albert last night and got some great deals on some
lures. Look for the Red tags.... husky jerks / spinners / rattl'n trollers
etc. all $2 each. Bought 8 real nice lures.

seems like just certain models are discontinued and there for the taking !!

check it out..... cant have enough lures.

WayneChristie
03-16-2011, 07:41 AM
I bought the kingfisher and the subzero, the kingfisher went back. The sub was much better for my use, and Im quite happy with it