PDA

View Full Version : Fishing licences and regs in Mexico

wind drift
03-13-2011, 12:08 PM
A question for any folks who've fished recently in Mexico...when fishing from a beach, is a licence required? If yes, are they readily available? Any experiences with police or other officials worth telling about? I don't want to wind up in a tricky situation.

tonyflyfish
03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I was in Huatulco and there was no talk of licences at all.
The police were no where near the fishing spots.
I honestly do not think they have figured out licences for visitors yet.

ghostguy6
03-13-2011, 05:13 PM
About 5 years ago I was in mexico. I tried to ask one of the police officers patroling the beach if you needed a licence and he replied " licence, what is licence? The whole week I was there I never saw them check anyone for anything other than a passport.

mikeo2
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
From what I understand if youre fishing on shore you do not need a lisence. If youre going out in a charter boat you do need a lisence, or at least one or two people in the boat do. Dontquote me on that, but thats what I've been told.

walking buffalo
03-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Fishing licences are issued by the state you are in.

When I was in Baja, cops would patrol with a fishing licence booklet in their pocket. It was $5.

In Merida ( west of Cancun), one officer said, "Usted no necesita uno. (You don't need one.)"

Ten minutes later another officer came by and said, "Deme $20,00 o le detendré para no tener una licencia de pesca. (Give me $20.00 or I'll arrest you for not having a fishing licence.)"

If you are staying at a resort, ask the manager about fishing licences.

bardfromedson
03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.bestbajafishing.org/index.php

here is a link for buying your licence online for the baja. it also has all the rules and regulations.

FlYiNGuY
03-14-2011, 03:24 PM
You don't need a license when fishing from shore, BUT you will run into the odd "fee" from "authorities", not common, often depending on where your going, just keep a few bucks on hand and you will be fine.

I have heard a few stories out of the Baja of worse cases, but again depending on where you are.

bobby2unes
03-14-2011, 08:10 PM
According to Fodor's Puerto Vallarta 2011, it states, "licenses are required; a new set of regulations requires anglers to buy their fishing licenses ahead of time via a super-confusing internet and bank-deposit system. Since boat owners are the ones (heavily) fined if there are unlicensed anglers aboard, you can leave it to the captain to make the necessary arrangements."

I hope that helps. I'm headed down at the end of the month. I will tell you what I find.

wind drift
03-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Gracias all! I'm heading south the last week of March. It sounds like I'll be fishing with a few pesos in hand, so I can donate to some policia's personal retirement fund.

Gary K
03-16-2011, 05:50 PM
so the verdict is licence by law for boat? not required for shore?
but you will find the occasional policia saying you do need a licence for a bribe?

FlYiNGuY
03-17-2011, 12:12 AM
so the verdict is licence by law for boat? not required for shore?
but you will find the occasional policia saying you do need a licence for a bribe?

You need a license if your fishing from a boat. 100% for sure in Cabo, I know in other cities, the outfits sometimes charge you for it and don't buy it so make sure if you pay for it you get it, it's under 14 bucks. if your going out a few times in a week buy a weekly license, (around $35 I think)or just buy a year long one and be done with it!. (around $65?)

From shore you don't need one, just a few pesos to support whomever points a gun at you.

Gary K
03-17-2011, 09:11 AM
You need a license if your fishing from a boat. 100% for sure in Cabo, I know in other cities, the outfits sometimes charge you for it and don't buy it so make sure if you pay for it you get it, it's under 14 bucks. if your going out a few times in a week buy a weekly license, (around $35 I think)or just buy a year long one and be done with it!. (around $65?)

From shore you don't need one, just a few pesos to support whomever points a gun at you.

and where would one buy i licence? can i buy a yearly licence for all of mexico or is it by state? im going to puerto vallarta in april and the playa del carmen in may.
is there a webstie i can purchace them at
thanks
gary

Okotokian
03-17-2011, 12:27 PM
and where would one buy i licence? can i buy a yearly licence for all of mexico or is it by state? im going to puerto vallarta in april and the playa del carmen in may.
is there a webstie i can purchace them at
thanks
gary

I'm going to Neuvo Vallarta (pretty darn close to Puerto v) in April and am planning to shore fish. I searched and searched online for any official mention of a licence... nada. So I'm just going to risk it. Seems everyone does. As for boat fishing, unless you are hauling your own down I assume you are taking a charter. Just ask the company. They know.

We will see how the shore fishing goes. I picked up a travel rod (4 to 12 lb test medium action. Yeah, I know it's light for ocean, but it's only going to see ocean a couple days a year, the rest will be mountain lakes). I'll throw on some 12 lb mon, an old reel I don't care about, a leader, a jig and some sort of bait and see what happens. Probably nothing. LOL If you have a better idea about what to use let me know!

Bobstew
03-17-2011, 12:52 PM
In Quintana Roo you only need a licence if you are in a boat and the charter company will arrange your licence for you.
If your fishing from shore a licence is not required BUT the regulations state that you cannot fish within 250 meters of swimmers which eliminates most of the shorline from Cancun to Tulum. There is a national park south of Tulum Sian Ka'an that is best for shore/flats fishing if you are going to that side of the country.
Here is a link to a good site.

http://mayanrivierafishing.blogspot.com/2008/01/basics.html

Gary K
03-17-2011, 05:34 PM
I'm also going to nuevo in april, where and when are yah heading?

Gary K
03-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Oko?