PDA

View Full Version : Never caught a white fish

Darren57
03-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Hey everyone. I have only been fishin a few years now and I have yet to catch a white fish. I have had some luck jiggin for walley, burbs, trout and pike, but I just baught a 4 man shelter and cant wait to try some visual ice fishing. Can anyone recomend some good areas and methods to try? I am thinking of trying McGregor, Travers, or cvr. From what i have been told i understand you have to use small lures like wire worms and set the hook quick or you loose them. And I have heard they are in quite shallow water around 3 feet. I am thinking of trying maggots and meal worms. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

greywolffan
03-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Try a smail wire worm. Somedays if you use a maggot it works and other days all you need is the hook. Whites are weird that way. I find at gull they never bite on the bottom and usually come up to the hook. Try 10 feet and you must set the hook quickly. When they are in the mood to bite it is alot of fun. Good luck to you:bad_boys_20:

jpietrzak1979
03-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Was at sylvan with a gold bell where the spawn is going on yesterday about 15 feet deep. Shouldn't take 2 hours to get yer limit of whites in that spot. Though they aren't the biggies like at gull they were alot of fun catching and good for the smoker!

nicemustang
03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Couple things.

1. Check your regs! I know the winter has been LONG but most PP1 lakes close March 15th. Too early IMO, but none the less, they close. (so all lakes you have listed)

2. White fish spawn at first ice. It's the best time to catch them. 5-8 FOW on HARD SANDY type bottoms.

3. White fish bite second best during burbot spawn. Burbs come into shallows (again same bottom) to dump their eggs. White fish feed on the eggs and hatches. This time is NOW or very soon. A little later this year because of the bad weather.

4. Use wire worms is best. take different colors. Try with or without maggots. Try plain or red colored maggots.

5. Morning bites are best.

6. Anywhere between 5-12 FOW, lake differs.

7. Whitefish have soft mouths. Don't rip the hooks out by doing a hard hook set. Use a light line (4-6 lb max test) and use mono so it has some stretch. Use a good rod and reel so you can let the drag tag over or you may loose it easily. If you're fishing with more people, everyone reels up when you get one or you'll be doing a lot of un-tangling. Site fishing is best and we always drill double or tripple holes so you can see more.

8. I'd try Pigeon, Gull or Sylvan this time of year. Newell as well although harder to find the buggers and bait ban after march 15th.

BEL
03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Nicemustang, have you ever been successful for whites at Pigeon? We were there yesterday and we could not get them to bite. They would come right in after dropping a hook down, but would not bite. We tried a lot hooks let me tell ya. BEL

Dust1n
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
try sylvan in 4-8FOW right nowusing wire or a scud bug on the bttom beacuse therecomming into feed on the burbot eggs.best time to fish or them is morning and late afternoon.flat sandy bottom flats are best to target them next best is rock piles.when u find burbots you know yur in the right spot.gold and yllow bells are prime in deeper water for whites but using a bell in shallow usaly spooks them but the burbot will devour it in a couple bounes.
wire worms and scud bugs would work best ATM giving they are in hallow water. use a very flexable rod so u dont teir there mouth opn and it will hold and keep slack if the whites decides to give slack it will tak it up make sure your drg is set also! copper,red,pink wire worms work good.
sylvan lake the west side of the lake is doingwell right now u anlimit out pretty fast. if its deeper use bigger lures,spoons ect. but try and drill and fish early morning. drilling DOES NOT spook whites even in 3 FOW iv hand them bite ass soon as i droped my line in many times in diffeernt locations soo keep that in mind it also good if u stir up the bottom first with a stick.....brinings in the tanks
good luck fishing
DUSTIN

nicemustang
03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Nicemustang, have you ever been successful for whites at Pigeon? We were there yesterday and we could not get them to bite. They would come right in after dropping a hook down, but would not bite. We tried a lot hooks let me tell ya. BEL

No haven't tried. Those that know though are pretty tight lipped, but always see guys with great nice fat pics of them though.

Daceminnow
03-14-2011, 08:41 PM

try a small gold hammered wetaskiwin, but take the hooks off and wire a small treble below the blade so it falls real slow. shallow water pigeon killer.

Dust1n
03-14-2011, 08:41 PM
at pigeon the bite bells (gold) in the deeper water and small nymph flies size 16 small BH. for shallower

BEL
03-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks guys I will give it a try. One thing I have not tried is that type of Wetaskiwin. BEL

jimfaster
03-15-2011, 12:06 AM
I took one of these a few weeks ago in the upper Detroit River. Is not that what it was until someone found me. Mine was a little bigger than that and said they were not so great. The river should be a healthy habitat for them.

Darren57
03-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Muchly appreciate the input. I might be able to make it out saturday morning to gull I baught a hunting shelter at bass pro because it was half the cost of an ice shelter and looked pretty much like the same thing. So if you see a 6 by 6 camo shack feal free to stop by for a B.S. I will probably be with the father in-law and his red chev pickup (hopefully not my rusty old plumbing and heating van lol).

Alberta Bigbore
03-15-2011, 08:18 AM
If your ever up on Edmonton... PM me.. and ill hook you up with a Thumper... homemade and they destroy whitefish on Gull and Sylvan

Linehaul
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
I think it's close season after March 15th at Gull lake.

nicemustang
03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

REALLY? Why post something you don't know. Check your regs. www.albertaregulations.ca

Bound2Fish
03-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Gull Lake
Apr. 1 to May 19 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
May 20 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 3

Linehaul
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM
REALLY? Why post something you don't know. Check your regs. www.albertaregulations.ca

Was just looking for how many rude responses I could get in the first hour.
Thanks

nicemustang
03-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks

REALLY? WOW, am I the prize winner? I don't think that it was rude, just pointing out that you were wrong and don't confuse people. So the fact that you were doing it for fun...makes you to be the rude person.

Dust1n
03-15-2011, 10:14 PM
sarcasm and ect dosent transfer well over the internet

Alberta Bigbore
03-15-2011, 11:00 PM

Thanks

REALLY? WOW, am I the prize winner? I don't think that it was rude, just pointing out that you were wrong and don't confuse people. So the fact that you were doing it for fun...makes you to be the rude person.

:argue2::argue2::argue2:

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac153/mojobass/waaambulanceforums.jpg

curteck
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
does anyone have any pictures of these bells that you speak of?