PDA

View Full Version : Whats a simple but good reel and rod combo

fishnut9
03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
So my dads bday is coming up and i want to get him a good rod and reel. But he's a simple fisherman like me. We dont like the dials and doo dads of those baitcasters. We just like the simple spinner reels. So what is a good quality without being too complicated. Im looking at 120$ budget. Im also looking for medium action nothing bigger than 10lbs fish.

honker_clonker
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Get him a Shimano Sedona 2500 and a 6'4'' Rapala TS2 (says its for dropshot on the rod, ignore that). The other rod I would recommend is the 6'10'' TS2 'soft plastics' rod. Little more back bone than the dropshot rod and you will get a little more casting distance. Load up the reel with 10 pound braid and get a small spool of fluoro leader and your laughing. I fished a 6'4'' and sedona last summer and caught close to 350 fish on that combo and was impressed at its power for such a light combo. Could use a little more backbone for when when they bury themselves in the weeds but it is capable none the less. Biggest I caught on it was a 14lb pike too.

Rumtan
03-14-2011, 10:20 AM
This coming weekend is the boat and sportsmans show.....im sure you can find out lots there.

nicemustang
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Not sure where you are but the Bass Pro sale is on right now. You can get a pfluegar president for $60 and tons of rods out there for $60 as well. I'd try a Shimano Volteus in a 6.5' or 7' medium. The rod is unbreakable and will last for ever. It's about $55.