PDA

View Full Version : Gull Sat

FishBrain
03-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Sat was a great day on Gull.
*Warning* Even big 4x4 with mudders are getting stuck, bring a sled or good feet.
Anyway, we got out to Wilsons, sledded out to where we wanted to set up, and I quickly landed a nice 2-3 lb burb. Then another, THEN school started, lmao.
The kids decided we needed to be shown how to catch the big ones.
Anna landed a nice 3lber, then a 6.5lber, THEN a 7.5lber!!! This girl has the touch. Eva not to be outdone landed her 4lber, all its eggs were gone so it was lighter, but same length as the 6.5.
Travis and I started trying for whites once the kids started catching all the big ones. He got my into my first ever white on the ice!!! a nice fish, with wicked scars.
We met a very nice local on the ice who gave us some pointers that were very useful.
Travis started to take kids off the ice with the sled and I continued fishing, and landed a nice 8.5lb Pike on his tip up while he was away, lol. Then on the next run of kids, I caught a great 3lb white, thanks to our new local friend!!!
All in all it was a great had by all!!! THe kids want back out again, and so do I, now that I know how to catch the whites.

Rockymtnx
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow how things changed in a few days.
Last week we had some awesome fishing at Gull. Was there this morning (Monday) along with about 40 others in the same area, and a lot of us went home empty handed. :(

Jwood 456
03-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Wow how things changed in a few days.
Last week we had some awesome fishing at Gull. Was there this morning (Monday) along with about 40 others in the same area, and a lot of us went home empty handed. :(

Sounds like that lake can be very hit and miss. It all seems to depend on just the day.

DirkDiggler
03-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Fished all morning Sunday and did quite well as well. I was fishing for whites and I landed 8, missed two and cursed at one which actually took my only white wire worm as I was not paying attention. I was looking out of my tent at a mess of people making noise trying to dig themselves out because they tried to venture off of the path. I did catch a really nice 5 lbs. white to make me feel a bit better and the all of the rest were just over 3lbs.

Rockymtnx
03-14-2011, 10:24 PM
The other day when I was there I seen 22 whites in the 3 hours I fished.
Today I fished for 5.5 hours and seen 3.

FishBrain
03-15-2011, 09:00 AM
GGRRRR, Trying to get pics resized to put up.
Stupid work computers.

Geezle
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
GGRRRR, Trying to get pics resized to put up.
Stupid work computers.

Just upload them to photobucket and use the link provided there to post your pics...no resizing required :)

FishBrain
03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Just upload them to photobucket and use the link provided there to post your pics...no resizing required :)

The network here has it blocked. :angry3:
And they have closed the couple holes I found

EDIT: HAHA, think I found another way out. If it works I will be back with pics loaded

JackBauerHunter
03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Hi all,

I am currently living in Saskatoon, but am planning to make a trip this weekend to Gull. My 8 year old Nephew lives in Edmonton and has never fished before, and I've been wanting to take him out for a while. Gull would be nice, as hopefully he can cash in on the Ling spawn. I was wondering if anyone had an update on the driving conditions onto the lake. From other posts it sounds quite deep. Has the warm weather had any effect? I'd like to take him out by the Baptist camp on the East side. Is there still an access point onto the lake from the Baptist camp or do I need to get on at Wilson's beach? Is there a path I can drive on with my 4x4, or do I need to bring my quad? Is that road still open to the baptist camp where I could park and just walk out if the snow was too bad?

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the multitude of questions, I just don't want to drive the truck all the way there if I can't get on the lake.

The Fisherman Guy
03-15-2011, 03:38 PM
I have heard that Gull access has been terrible. I was on at Brownlows a few weeks ago, and as long as we stayed on the trails we were fine.

If you can't get onto Gull, you can always hit Pine or Sylvan as they are close by.

Both Gull and Sylvan are fishing well.

Good luck!

Hilgy
03-15-2011, 05:10 PM
so from the sound of it if I want to go out and load up my hut at brownlows I should take a quad or sled to get it off the ice.

I'm not far off the beaten path but havent been out for almost a month(stupid job) and it sounds like things are getting bad out there.

hilgy

FishBrain
03-16-2011, 10:10 AM
so from the sound of it if I want to go out and load up my hut at brownlows I should take a quad or sled to get it off the ice.

I'm not far off the beaten path but havent been out for almost a month(stupid job) and it sounds like things are getting bad out there.

hilgy

That would be your best bet.

FishBrain
03-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Here are a couple pics from Gull
This is my personal best Pike, caught on a tipup.
My first ever whites, and some huge burbs the kids iced!!

iliketrout
03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Great pics FB! looks like you'll have a few good meals!

That's a nice white for sure!

BlackHeart
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Was on Gull at Wilson on Tuesday.
Went south from the shore access.
The access point has some very deep ruts.
There is a trail that is deep and some soft areas....put it into 4X4 right away.
After you reach the shacks on the ice, don't try to go any farther.....I had tire chains on both axles and had to do the bounce bounce break trail back up and go again for another 10 yards.
After 75 yards, I just turned around and called it far enough.

A couple of hundred yards further and there is lot of water under the snow.
There were a few 4x4 having trouble and shoveling. One jacked up and with big tires got stuck there and had to turn around and find a different trail/route. And it was melting so it should get very interesting.

In the evening when the crust had melted some, it seemed once you revved her up and gave it, the progress was much better....with chains......would not go out there without them right now.

On the plus side the fishing after two was pretty good....we got 6 whites, 5 burbs, and I got a nice 8.5lb jack on my whitefish setup......he looked like he was 20lbs though(scale must not be working right :)).....and even bigger sideways at the bottom of the hole....and I also got one sunburn.