PDA

View Full Version : Fawcett Yesterday

Jwood 456
03-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi, I decided to fish Fawcett yesterday. I couldn't access the spot I wanted to today due to the amount of snow on the lake and my usual favorite spot was closed to fishing.

I fished the south east end of the lake. I did all right and landed three hammer handle pike and had a few more bites on my big herring, and also on a jig head tipped with a small minnow. I assume that the hits on the large herring were also hammer handles judging by how light and short the strike was. Two of them were caught in the first spot. The last one being caught in the second spot. The group of anglers near the first spot were also catching a hammer handle pike every here and then. My fishing partner had a few bites on his pike rig as well. My fishing partner caught a burbot and decided to take a picture of me holding it. I released the burbot though because burbot are too chewy to eat and not the greatest tasting either IMO. My fishing partner also had some perch bites, though I think him and I would have done alot better if the bait shops on the way were selling maggots and not only mealworms for perch bait.

The action was so slow that my fishing partner actually fell sound asleep, seriously. LMAO

BTW I have some pics posted below.

Overall, an allright day IMO.

BTW I have some pics posted below

duffy4
03-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Have you eaten burbot before? Most people think they are among the best eating fish in Alberta.

I love them.

I knew a guy that would gladly trade walleye fillets for burbot.

coorslight
03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
my old man said thats what lots of restruants use on there fish menu

Shmag
03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Have you eaten burbot before? Most people think they are among the best eating fish in Alberta.

I love them.

Can you pm me the "GUYS" contact info :sHa_shakeshout:...lmao, jk

Jwood 456
03-14-2011, 04:41 PM

I love them.

I've eaten burbot before and have boiled them like some of by buddies said to. The burbot turned out rubbery and kind of bland tasting. I have cooked burbot in ritz cracker crumbs and have found that they tasted good, however the burbot still seemed tough and chewy.

Dust1n
03-14-2011, 08:32 PM
nice burbot justin and you probibly over cooked it if its rubbery,.
tya beer battr

Crankyfish
03-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Burbot does not have any fishy taste. Just boiled some not long ago only for 3 min, melted some margarine sprinkled a little seasoning salt. Melted in the mouth nice and flaky tender.Same thing in deep fryer only 3 min. Just cook till it flakes apart. Then you can't go wrong.