PDA

View Full Version : Canoe Lake Loadge in Saskatchewan

pintailslammer
03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has stayed in the cabins? What was the fishing like?Is it a rough lake etc etc.Any advice tips.

Thanks
Pin

Big Red 250
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
Lake likely rough when the wind is blowing during the open water season.

LiegeRiver
03-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Are you talking about Canoe Lake West Resort? We go just about every year, sometimes twice a year. The cabins are good, although we take our 5th wheel now. The pike fishing is excellent, although the walleyes are a little slow. We just head down to Keeley lake for a day trip to get our walleye "fix". The lake can get really rough when the wind gets up, and we have made a habit of taking our boat out every night. It only takes a few minutes, and if it gets bad overnight, you don't have to fight with it in the morning. Been there, didn't like it. We don't go to Cole Bay anymore, too many problems with the locals :mad3:- been there,too, not happening again.
See you on the lake.
P.S. PM if you want more info.

LR:)

308 man
03-15-2011, 08:55 AM
We go to canoe lake every june stay at cole bay camp ground no services have been going for 10 years have not had any trouble with the locals, can leave your boat in over night. As long as John is looking after the camp ground there will not be any trouble. Walleye fishing will have a bight some time in June.

Bushmaster
03-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah, 308, John seems to have put the scare of death into the locals !! LMAO !!

We stayed at Canoe West last year for the first time....loved the site but the cabins were a bit rough. Access to the lake was better...we couldn't get on at North Haven but we fished all day at Canoe West. I like the cabins better at North Haven and we've never had problems there.

We did great on pike and so-so on the 'eyes. I'm sure we would have done better had we worked harder at it. I caught one slightly over 6 lbs.

We'll be going back....

236slob
06-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the review. I would like to take my wife and three small children, do you think that it is a suitable spot? You know how it is, I want to catch big fish and have my family have a good trip too.

Thanks

TyreeUM
06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
if you have the time, hit up fern for a morning...that lake has some monster trout in it.

rem300wsm
06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
we used to go to north haven lodge by cole bay but after a few years of going we never caught many walleye mostly pike, lesser slave is a way better lake for fishing thats for sure

rem300wsm
06-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the review. I would like to take my wife and three small children, do you think that it is a suitable spot? You know how it is, I want to catch big fish and have my family have a good trip too.

Thanks

I would seriosly watch out for the husky dogs because they are mean and they run free and in packs. They killed a boy up there a while ago.

MadTrapper
06-20-2011, 09:43 PM
We have fished canoe for a week in july as a family vacation for close to 20 years, it is a large beautiful lake with lots of good fishing ,the eyes are fat although you have to work for them. Cole bay cabins have been much cleaner and their is a beach for the kids it is definitely a better place for the family. The only trouble we have had with dogs is the odd year when a to friendly dog is hanging around looking for a free meal, a annoyance not a danger. Cole bay cabins are right on the lake and on the edge of a small native town. we have never had anything stolen their and we will be returning as it is a favourite place for my family and I

MadTrapper
06-20-2011, 09:47 PM
the cabins I was referring to are the North haven lodge cabins at cole bay

rem300wsm
06-20-2011, 10:54 PM
We have fished canoe for a week in july as a family vacation for close to 20 years, it is a large beautiful lake with lots of good fishing ,the eyes are fat although you have to work for them. Cole bay cabins have been much cleaner and their is a beach for the kids it is definitely a better place for the family. The only trouble we have had with dogs is the odd year when a to friendly dog is hanging around looking for a free meal, a annoyance not a danger. Cole bay cabins are right on the lake and on the edge of a small native town. we have never had anything stolen their and we will be returning as it is a favourite place for my family and I

there was a case were a dog did kill a boy not that long ago right at north haven lodge dont know if you heard about it though

MadTrapper
06-21-2011, 09:05 AM
yes i did hear about that, it was the winter before last , we stayed at north haven last summer for 10 days. We did not see any packs of dogs or aggressive dogs. The little local native kids were running around as usual. I have always felt safe at North haven, you see plenty of families their every year including ours. I will return to canoe and dogs will be the least of my worries

Buck9
06-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Fished canoe lake many times and have had good luck and also have been skunked (walleye). Always seem to be able to catch jack. We stay at Canoe West Resort as that is where you see most of the boats fishing. Lots of people fish the shore line to the North or South of the boat access. I have also had good luck on the North side of bird island off the ledge. Just watch the winds they can get pretty nasty between the resort and the islands if the wind starts to pick up. If you get a chance go to the far North East corner and you will see some cabins troll along that edge for big jack. Have even had good luck for walleye their. If you get a chance ask someone if they now where some underwater reefs are. I was told by a local that their is 9 underwater reefs, have only found 3 but they can all produce fish when other spots seem slow. Liegeriver is right take the extra time and pull your boat out in the evenings if you go to the CWR as I have been their when boats have been sunk right in front on the beach from strong overnight winds. Have fun and good luck