PDA

View Full Version : Lakers on tip-up???

fourty12
03-15-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm new to fishing for Lake Trout. Do they hit hard enough to be caught on a tip-up? I want to fish 2 lines and will be jigging a rod at the same time. Thanks.

nicemustang
03-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Nope. They do hit hard enough but they spit easily so by the time it takes to get over there....plus, setting a tipup in 100 FOW would take forever!

If you have an automatic fisherman, yes that works.

FishBrain
03-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Nope. They do hit hard enough but they spit easily so by the time it takes to get over there....plus, setting a tipup in 100 FOW would take forever!

If you have an automatic fisherman, yes that works.

Exactly, dont know how many I lost until I stopped using a tip up. Now I use t 2 rods, jig one constant, and the other once in a while. keep both close to you!

Dust1n
03-15-2011, 10:12 PM
up north we use them cause there in shallower and sometimes in 2-3 FOW in spring ect. but a smelt on a tip up usaly works

nicemustang
03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Yeah this is what I'd do if I was going. Use flasher and your 2" buzz bomb and jig agressively. Set your deadstick up on bottom a short distance away. Maybe a small white tube jig or else just a plain jig head and a half smelt and rest it on the bottom. Then use a bobber if not freezing or the automatic fisherman and that should get you some action.