PDA

View Full Version : Outboard on the Skeena at Terrace

boku
03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
My thanks to all those who responded to my previous query about taking a 17' Lund with a 115 horse outboard out of Rupert. We may be smarter looking for some other options.

My son drove through Terrace a couple of summers ago and saw a lot of boats on the river there. But he did not take note as to whether they were jetboats or outboards.

Anybody take an outboard onto the rivers around Terrace? In my search of the forums I can find references to jetboats and drift boats, but nothing about outboards.

So am I anticipating that the advice at Terrace will be the same as what I have gotten for out at Rupert/Kitimat: "stay out - you'll lose your engine", but I would like to confirm that.

Again, thanks for any input. This really is a great board.

Boku

The Fisherman Guy
03-15-2011, 06:37 PM
The Skeena near Terrace is big water, and "should" accomodate a propeller outboard. We saw a number of tin can boats with small outboards heading up and down river, they got the job done but I would prefer to have a jetboat to explore the upper reaches of the tributaries in that area.

We camped up the Exstew, on a gravel bar and traveled up and down river to the Skeena every day looking for the giants. The boat we used was the "Green Medalishi" a 16 flat bottomed boat with a 115 Evi Jet Outboard. It worked like a charm.

Joe Fehr
03-16-2011, 07:05 AM
You take a risk putting an outboard on the Skeena there are some gravel bars etc that will wreck your day if not very very careful. Have you considered fishing the Work Channel? That boat would be perfect for it and the fishing is supposed to be very good for halis and other bottom fish.
I haven't fished it myself but I am sure some of the other people here have.

If it were me I would stick to bar fishing the Skeena and going on the Work Channel.

Fishhunter
03-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Go to rupert if lucy island is as far as you go it will not disapoint.The skenna has alot of hidden danger and is a very powerfull river,on the ocean there is way more variety of fish and shellfish.We use to go to kitimat about 7 years in a row,we went to rupert and the first time was better than all kitimat put together,and all i have is an old 17' aluminum with an old 50 merc and i had no problem just don't go beond your limits and you will be fine.