PDA

View Full Version : Lac st. Ann

Thundercatcher
03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Heading out to Lac St. Ann near Alberta beach tomorrow. Any tips or hints? I never caught a walleye before.

Jwood 456
03-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Straight off of the town of Alberta beach, there is this rock island that does fair for walleye fishing sometimes. I have caught burbot off of there as well.

I have caught the walleye on a 2.5'' swedish pimple tipped with a minnow. I have also incidentally caught them on a perch jig tipped with maggots.

Jwood 456
03-16-2011, 06:39 PM
Heading out to Lac St. Ann near Alberta beach tomorrow. Any tips or hints? I never caught a walleye before.

Did you get any luck?

Thundercatcher
03-16-2011, 07:58 PM
I caught nothing at all! But there was on guy there catching burbot.

Safety D
03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
If you want to catch some easy eyes go to Mulhurst Bay on Pigeon Lake. go out off the boat launch about 3 to 4 hundred yards and you will get some there. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

HunterDave
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
I caught nothing at all! But there was on guy there catching burbot.

If you were fishing by the town it is all sand and no structure. People catch fish there but there is allot better fishing in other harder to get to spots. Get a depth chart for the lake and find a spot between 8' - 15' deep not too far out from reeds where you can park fairly close and have access to the lake. Or, look for a spot like I just described where there are old holes drilled in the ice or people are fishing. They might know a little about the lake and that's why they are where they are. :)

Thundercatcher
03-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Hpw do you get to Mulhurst Bay?

Jwood 456
03-16-2011, 09:36 PM
If you want to get charts of Lac Ste Anne Thunder Catcher, there is this website named angler's atlas.com. You can make an account on there and find depth charts of many alberta lakes including Lac Ste Anne and download and save them to your computer for free.

Here's a link to the hompage of their site.

http://www.anglersatlas.com/

DuckBrat
03-16-2011, 09:37 PM
Commercial fishery is wrapping up this week at Ste Anne.

HunterDave
03-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Commercial fishery is wrapping up this week at Ste Anne.

How's that work in the winter...............or are you pulling my leg?

Daceminnow
03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
If you were fishing by the town it is all sand and no structure. People catch fish there but there is allot better fishing in other harder to get to spots. Get a depth chart for the lake and find a spot between 8' - 15' deep not too far out from reeds where you can park fairly close and have access to the lake. Or, look for a spot like I just described where there are old holes drilled in the ice or people are fishing. They might know a little about the lake and that's why they are where they are. :)

do the guys still put permanent shacks on the rock humps out in front of the sailboats club? what about the rock point out in front of the mission. both used to always produce for winter eyes. watch for springs in that lake, don't cruise around blind.

HunterDave
03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
do the guys still put permanent shacks on the rock humps out in front of the sailboats club? what about the rock point out in front of the mission. both used to always produce for winter eyes. watch for springs in that lake, don't cruise around blind.

I don't know where the shacks are as I've only been out there 3 times this winter on my sled and I was at the far end of the lake by West Cove towards Darwell. I spend my summers out by the Gunn area so I get my fill of catching walleye out of there all summer long. I usually ice fish for trout in the winter.

I'm not sure where the sailing club or mission are but if you are talking about the rock island out from Castle Island, I'm familiar with it. There might be a rock point on shore there because there's more or less an underwater boulder roadway out to the island. I never boat between the island and the shore and I always go around the outside of the island.

Yes, I've heard about underwater springs in the lake and spots with thinner ice but I've been told that they are more towards and out from Alberta Beach from the rock island. I wouldn't mind knowing where any others are though.

Jwood 456
03-16-2011, 10:20 PM
My old man knew a guy who regularly fished Lac Ste Anne. He told my oldman a disturbing story about walking around the middle of the lake. He was saying that when he was walking along, he noticed this weird spot on the ice. He then went closer to it examin it. He finds out that it was a large open water spot from a spring bubbling through the ice.

To be honest, I would stick to the truck tracks on that lake, or walk out or take a snowmobile and keep my eye out for those bubbler springs or dark snow free spots on the ice.

Daceminnow
03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't know where the shacks are as I've only been out there 3 times this winter on my sled and I was at the far end of the lake by West Cove towards Darwell. I spend my summers out by the Gunn area so I get my fill of catching walleye out of there all summer long. I usually ice fish for trout in the winter.

I'm not sure where the sailing club or mission are but if you are talking about the rock island out from Castle Island, I'm familiar with it. There might be a rock point on shore there because there's more or less an underwater boulder roadway out to the island. I never boat between the island and the shore and I always go around the outside of the island.

Yes, I've heard about underwater springs in the lake and spots with thinner ice but I've been told that they are more towards and out from Alberta Beach from the rock island. I wouldn't mind knowing where any others are though.

the sailing club is west of the village of alberta beach. lots of good rock there. the mission is on the west end of the lake before the narrows. there are a lot of springs if you were to travel from the rock island directly over to the narrows. i have seen open water bubbling in the dead of winter out that way. have you fished for perch on the big flats out from the gunn launch? we used to do well there.

Jwood 456
03-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Speaking of fishing Lac Ste Anne, I don't fish that lake anymore. The reason being is that I heard that, that lake is full of sewage.:scared0018:
The ecoli levels were so bad that a whole bunch of snails around shore were dying and washing up.

HunterDave
03-16-2011, 10:42 PM
To tell you guys the truth I wouldn't drive my truck anywhere on that lake....lol. I don't know it well enough and I've heard the stories about those underground springs. The narrows are the absolute worst due to the moving water and it doesn't even freeze over under the bridge most of the time. I know where the mission is now because of the pilgrimage that happens every summer, if it's the same one.

I'm not much of a perch fisherman. Probably because I'm from out east and perch, rock bass and sunfish were all easy to catch fish that we kids all start off catching. We used to go after the big channel perch in the St Lawrence River once in awhile though. If I can catch big enough perch to get a decent fillet from them I'd love to go for them because they taste so good! :tongue0017:

I think that the other reason that I don't really bother with them is because I've always thought that perch that sit in still water get wormy as opposed to ones caught in moving water. I don't know, maybe I'm missing out on some good opportunities?

HunterDave
03-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Speaking of fishing Lac Ste Anne, I don't fish that lake anymore. The reason being is that I heard that, that lake is full of sewage.:scared0018:
The ecoli levels were so bad that a whole bunch of snails around shore were dying and washing up.

No, that was probably because of the algae bloom. It was absolutely brutal last year. I've seen dead gulls from that stuff. The sewage cops can find out who's dumping sewage into the lake by testing for caffeine. Caffeine can only come from humans so high concentrations in a certain area indicate the dumping of sewage. The sad part about it is, what I was told anyway, that they can't do much about it except try to embarrass the person or persons into not doing it.

Walleye101
03-16-2011, 10:57 PM
That's just gross!

Daceminnow
03-16-2011, 11:07 PM

sewage grows nutrients, which in turn grows big fish. the bow is a prime example. the blue green algae in those lakes up there is a sad deal. isle is the same. never used to be that way. gotta think somethings different is being introduced.

HunterDave
03-16-2011, 11:15 PM
About 10 years ago they had a big investigation of Lac Lanonne because a flock of ducks/geese died. It was determined that it was the blue/green algae that did it. Then again about 8 years ago a fella had his dog go into the water and 20 minutes later he was dead, again blue/green algae. I worked out there for a few summers and every morning I'd pick up the dead gulls off the pier from that stuff. I'm not saying that there's no sewage going into Lac Ste Anne but if there's anything killing things in there that's what I suspect is doing it.