PDA

View Full Version : Ontario nuclear plant leaks demineralized water

Rod1960
03-16-2011, 10:31 AM
TORONTO — There has been a leak of demineralized water at the Pickering nuclear power plant.

At 11:33 p.m. Tuesday night, Ontario Power Generation notified Canada's nuclear regulator that there was a release of 73,000 litres of demineralized water at the Pickering "A" Nuclear Generating Station earlier in the day.
The leak is being blamed on a pump seal failure.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission says the radiological risk to the environment and people's heath "is negligible."

Environment Canada and the CNSC are monitoring the situation.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TorontoNewHome/20110316/leak-pickering-nuclear-plant-110316/

....who needs an eathquake.

Rod1960
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Now CTV is saying it was just water used to cool the cooling system and didn't come in contact with an radiation.

backpacker
03-16-2011, 12:48 PM
We use demineralized water in the plant I work at and just as mentioned it is used for cooling. Much like your vehicles radiator, demin. water will not corrode the cooling pipes/lines or leave deposits such as calcium etc..
If the water hasn't come in contact with radioactive particles, I doubt it is anything more than a faulty seal.:thinking-006:

hillbillyreefer
03-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Well according to the idiots in the main stream media, this week nuclear power plants are going to be the end of us. Why do they print crap like that, when it is probably a normal part of plant operations? Just whipping up the hysteria to sell airtime and papers.

Way to go MSM, keep up the good work, idiots.

Grizzly Adams
03-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Well according to the idiots in the main stream media, this week nuclear power plants are going to be the end of us. Why do they print crap like that, when it is probably a normal part of plant operations? Just whipping up the hysteria to sell airtime and papers.

Good News doesn't sell.:lol:

Grizz

hillbillyreefer
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Good News doesn't sell.:lol:

Grizz

Too true Grizz, too true.

What really irritates me is the MSM basically invents a crisis where one doesn't exist. Like there isn't enough crisis in Japan atm, they need to make one up in Ontario!

I've pretty much given up on the MSM, there is no chance I will purchasevtheir crap. The odd hit on a website they can turn into revenue is about all they get from me. All except the CBC, that is a completely different pile of crap.

Okotokian
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm pretty sure they aren't making up what's happening in Japan. It should at least give people pause to consider the implications. Blanket declarations of "It's perfectly safe!" clearly aren't true.

Jwood 456
03-16-2011, 05:30 PM

agree X2. Even on T.V. I find that the news people have those loud intense power voices on to get all of their viewers worked up.

cochranenite
03-16-2011, 08:35 PM
maybe i will ask my buddy he is a millwright at one of the plants or OPG

CN

fordtruckin
03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Oddly enough one of the first major Nuclear accidents occurred in Canada. Chalk River in December of 1952