PDA

View Full Version : Capt. Eyre Lake

CeeZee
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Is there anyone else on here who has been fishing this little lake? I have give it a try a few times this year and not so happy, havent even had a bite anytime I have been out!!!:angry3:
How has anyone else's luck been here?
Notice they stalked with only 5000 and yet Shuster Lake got 12000? WTH?
1/4 the size but over 2 times the number stalked?

trigger7mm
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I have fished this lake all the time. I haven't been there this winter though (too busy hunting coyotes). I suspect that it probably has winter killed after a winter like this one. This is not uncommon at all for this lake. It is a great little lake, and we've caught and released a ton of rainbows out of it. We troll flies in the summer, usually Doc Spratleys, and in the winter, small jigs tipped with cheese works good. The earlier in the winter, the better. Best before christmas. They grow fast in there, and because they stock it every year, it works out fine. Newly stocked trout are small, but fun to catch and release. On years when they make it through the winter there are some beauties in there. If they get through 2 winters in a row, we caught lots in the 4 - 5 lb. range. Diplomat pond by Forestburg has been dead since the end of January. My buddy dropped a camera in it and said there were dead trout all over. Lets hope they keep putting fish in Capt Arye every spring. Too bad the government wouldn't put a proper aeration system in. There's not a lot of good fishing spots in that part of the country.

CeeZee
03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
yup not enuf good places to fish in my part of this province! There are others out there but haven't heard of much luck from them either. Funny that lake would winter kill with all those springs feeding that lake.
So that windmill, is it even doing anything when it is spinning in the wind?

trigger7mm
03-16-2011, 08:49 PM
That windmill doesn't do squat on a lake that size.

Flyfisher87
03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I haven't fished it in about 17 years. The best I was able to do was 2 fish in the summer of 94. I know of people who fish it year round and do fairly well. I abondaned the lake for greener pastures as it gets way too busy for me in the summer months. I grew up very close to there and would rather drive over an hour where I know I would catch fish and leave this lake to those who know it's secrets better than I do. It is a shame that there is no proper aeration system in place, because that lake has some great structure and some deep enough spots to become an absolutely phenomenal fishery. Don't give up on it though.

gonefishin
03-27-2011, 12:59 AM
Went there a few times in the summer and did quite well. Some good ones but mostly 14 - 16"... but all fight like champs. I sure hope it didn't winterkill.

bigbear
07-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Anyone been out here lately? Thinking of camping there with the family and would like to take out the pontoon boat for a bit.

Ken07AOVette
07-12-2011, 11:45 PM
I dropped a quad view camera this winter on a half dozen locations, and it was a desert, no weeds, fish, bugs, nothing. I had no luck there last winter either, or in the boat. Good fish finder showed nothing as well.

Flyfisher87
07-13-2011, 06:24 AM
I have been told that there are fish jumping, and people are catching them. Good luck trying to find a campsite there right now. Swimming lessons are going on for another week I think. I was out there over a week ago and the place was packed. Mind you that was the long weekend though. You might be ok. The power sites get taken rather quickly there.

CeeZee
07-13-2011, 06:52 AM
We were camping out there fathers day weekend and it was really quiet, very great place there for the kids who are water lovers, failry good beach with nice nice water. There were lots of fish rising, we took a paddle boat out for about 40 mins and had a few bites but nothing online, but I only had a j hook with powerbait on.
Was stocked with 5000 - 8 inchers. The windmill doesnt do anything thats for sure, the air hose is all bunched up in the reeds out front of it, too bad it dont work, I like ice fishing there!
Like they said, its usually a very busy place, bring lots of leveling blocks!!(they even supply leveling blocks the site are so unlevel)