PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Anglers Sharkskin flyline

lannie
03-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Anybody with any Comments on it ?
I have always liked SA products so i bought some In 4. Seemed kinda cool, not sure if it is just marketing or what. Supposed to be a little noisy stripping through the guides ? A little pricey too. But hey, I am going to catch more fish with it now right ?

bobalong
03-16-2011, 06:26 PM
I have 3 sharkskin (one sal****er, two freshwater) lines and use them for most all of my flyfishing. A little noisy but I like it and casts really well.

npauls
03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
When I ran sharkskin I didn't mind the noise but I found it to get dirty really easy and I had to wash it about once a month. I bought mine within the first week of them introducing it and I think they have changed it up quite a bit since then. The reason I got rid of mine was because the 1st 10 feet cracked really bad and then snapped off when I set the hook one day. I decided I didn't need $110 line and went with rio gold. I am going to switch to some cheap cortland and scientific angler lines after this rio gold craps out on me. I find they cast just as good and only cost $20-$30 per line.

fishstix
03-16-2011, 08:10 PM
The shark skin is too expensive and its too noisey. I have some 80$ rio gold on now. I used cortland 444 and it did me fine. Unless this rio gold is super, next time i'll either buy two sets of cortland 444 or one set and spend the other 40 on beer.

greylynx
03-16-2011, 08:17 PM
The shark skin is too expensive and its too noisey. I have some 80$ rio gold on now. I used cortland 444 and it did me fine. Unless this rio gold is super, next time i'll either buy two sets of cortland 444 or one set and spend the other 40 on beer.

x2

You are indeed a very wise man.

I think I will work more on my casting technique rather than marketing tactics.

Practice that cast.

bobalong
03-16-2011, 09:52 PM
x2

You are indeed a very wise man.

I think I will work more on my casting technique rather than marketing tactics.

Practice that cast.

Probably a good idea for you to keep practicing, higher end equipment will not really help you anyway if you dont have the basics yet

lannie
03-16-2011, 10:56 PM

The line is only noisy stripping IN i thought. There is very little difference between the rio gold and the sharkskin, less than a case of beer. I dont drink beer so its a good place to spend the cash !! A guy has got to try something different once in a while too. I just need the wind to drop off a bit so i can test it out !!! Cabin fever is getting pretty high.

Icefishin
03-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Bought the sharkskin when it came out and I notice a difference. I like it,but everyone has their own opinion. I find that the extra bucks on fly gear is essential to enjoying the sport. If your still learning the basics stay cheap and you'll appreciate it more when you upgrade after getting better. That's why I have a real nice rod and reel combination that's worth a pretty penny. You usually get what you pay for it;)

BackPackHunter
03-17-2011, 04:19 AM
I would give it a 5/10. Because I don't think it as good as the price tag, it soppose to lift off the water easer, but I didn't notice, and it picks up dirt really fast and harder to clean... Go with Rio or 444 and buy two 1 float 1 sink tip... I gave mine alway to a friend who just started flyin last yr... And I'm back on the 444...
IMO the best place to put your money is in a top of the line rod & reel
Sage gets my business...but each there own...

pattycr125
03-17-2011, 04:27 AM
100 dollars for flyline is retarded i use the SA air cell i think its their cheapest but its not bad

lannie
03-17-2011, 10:44 AM
100 dollars for flyline is retarded i use the SA air cell i think its their cheapest but its not bad

I have had lines that were dirty, cracked, or worthless. Some i cussed due to their memory and have hung them out to dry . I have also had lines that looked like they needed a PFD to stay above the water but have never owned a retard. I never bought a 100 dollar line before and curiosity was holding my cash at the flyshop. Animosity greeted me as i walked through my house door. She said, you never spent that much on the line you bought me for Valentines day lannie and whats in the aluminum tube behind your back? :bad_boys_20:

Trout Addict
03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I find it casts like a dream but burns like a *&@% if you have a big fish run on you and don't yet have it on the reel.

Mind boggling friction burn!!

gl2
03-17-2011, 12:16 PM
anyone who uses this stuff seeing any essesive wear on their guides?

FlyFishFairwx
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Take a look at the SA textured fly lines... Much better then the Sharkskin if you are worried about the noise or feel..

Kingfisher
03-18-2011, 12:30 AM
I used a sharkskin line when SA first came out with it. I didn't like the feel of it. I didn't like the sound it made when casting it out. I didn't like the burn when I was feeding it through my fingers, while trying to get my line that was in the bottom of the boat picked up and onto my reel when I had a fish on.

I bought a Rio Gold. What a great line to cast, and it seems to be holding out better than I ever expected. Actually I bought several Rio lines at that same time and love them all. The Aqualux is a great clear intermediate. I like that line for lake fishing. The Nymph line is good for casting nymphs in a river. Today they call that same line the "Indicator line". That line has an orange section on the line to give you some visiblity when you can't or don't have a strike indicator.

Rob