PDA

View Full Version : NIC in Lethbridge

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 03:01 PM
is it still safe to go on the ice?

tacklerunner
03-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Hey Chubb I drove by Clear Lake today, the one E of Stavely. The shoreline is thawed and there's open water 20 - 50 feet out. It looked a bit slushy as it was -4 in the morning but there's no way of getting on the ice without waders or maybe a raft.

I'm sure there's over 2 feet of ice in the middle still and it's safe but today I decided my hardwater season has ended... well maybe 1 more trip to Spray.

I know I didn't answer your question as I don't know but with this warm weather, the answer to your question might change before you get there.

I'm guessing PCR is starting to open up on the edges too.

EVERYONE BE SAFE.

npauls
03-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I took a drive over there and walked on the ice. It is rotting fast with little patches of open water in a few spots. The ice was sinking under me and acted like a sponge so I didn't head to far out. I wouldn't test my luck on the ice anymore and I could see it being open water fishable by the end of next week if this weather keeps up.

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I took a drive over there and walked on the ice. It is rotting fast with little patches of open water in a few spots. The ice was sinking under me and acted like a sponge so I didn't head to far out. I wouldn't test my luck on the ice anymore and I could see it being open water fishable by the end of next week if this weather keeps up.

thanks nate apppreciate your efforts to get me updated......gotta be in the bridge for 1 pm....maybe we could have lunch and just talk fishing ....lol

MoFugger21
03-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Ya, I drive by it everyday, and it's really starting to look rotten and slushy. Can't imagine it's safe at all. But like npauls said, if this weather keeps up, a guy will be able to chuck hardware into the open water in no time.

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 05:15 PM
you can wwalk on it...its still safe it just looks unsafe by the wayy the snow is melting on top of the ice....

Guitarplayingfish
03-17-2011, 05:39 PM
you can wwalk on it...its still safe it just looks unsafe by the wayy the snow is melting on top of the ice....

Its not worth the risk. If you want to risk your life fishing a stocked lake, than you go ahead man. Ill stay safe and wait until thaw.

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
just sayin 4 inches of ice can hold someone its easly saf to walk on i even seen people put planks off wood from shore to get out there

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM
just sayin 4 inches of ice can hold someone its easly saf to walk on i even seen people put planks off wood from shore to get out there

4 inches of hard clear ice!!!!!!

MoFugger21
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Ya, ^^ this. 4 inches of hard clear ice is a helluva lot different than 4 inches of rotten, honeycombed ice. If there is 4 inches still, I can't see it being very safe, but it's personal choice really. Won't see me out there any time soon, lol.

Wes_G
03-17-2011, 06:54 PM
It looked pretty rotten when I drove by last night, plus some open water around the edges already, I would stay off.

npauls
03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
I walked on it today Fish Hunter. I have been ice fishing long enough to know that you can't fish it. The ice was squishing like a sponge while I was walking on it. Just because it is thick doesn't mean its safe. Rotten ice can be 24" thick and you will still go through it like a rock.

You giver and head out there and let me know when you do so I can sit in the parking lot and film it to post on here and have an instant viral video.

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM
march/april 2008 western sports man magazines even had people walking on it when there was open water just build a bridge. not recomending going out and doing it im saying you can.

icefisher11
03-17-2011, 08:07 PM
march/april 2008 western sports man magazines even had people walking on it when there was open water just build a bridge. not recomending going out and doing it im saying you can.

Sure we could do it, we could also do lots of other dumb things too. in reality we can do anything. that doesnt mean we should do it/ it is safe to do it.

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Im saying you shouldnt go...Its very dangours and You will die is that fair enough?

icefisher11
03-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Im saying you shouldnt go...Its very dangours and You will die is that fair enough?

who says i will die? just because i fall threw a bit of ice doesnt mean instant death...

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 08:38 PM
what would you like me to say to dont enoucarge people form going to nick sherein right now....

npauls
03-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Just because it was safe enough one season doesn't mean that this year is safe also.

I am just letting you know how it was today while I was out there and it wasn't fishable. If you stayed in one spot longer then a few seconds you could feel it start to sink. I have been out on other lakes in years past where we have had rotting ice and never had a problem but I can for sure tell you that you will go through on nic. sheran.

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 09:02 PM

Nate build me a bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be there at first light....lol

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
lol

gprime27
03-17-2011, 09:20 PM
I don't think I'd be walking on that rotten ice right now. I'll sit in a foot of water with a smelt and a bobber safe from shore.. guranteed to still catch fish!.. :)

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 09:21 PM
hey fish hunter 7....i know you answer evey thread....Can you tell me how the walleye fishing is on Battle right now...thinking of going.
Where is lake access?

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I don't think I'd be walking on that rotten ice right now. I'll sit in a foot of water with a smelt and a bobber safe from shore.. guranteed to still catch fish!.. :)

you caught all those Brookies on a smelt?

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 09:41 PM
cubbs theres massive pike in there and there about to spawn in the shallow so that is wise and i dont know about battle lake buit battle river would be froze almost to the botttom i would think

Daceminnow
03-17-2011, 09:55 PM
hey fish hunter 7....i know you answer evey thread....Can you tell me how the walleye fishing is on Battle right now...thinking of going.
Where is lake access?

if your headed that way chubb, i would suggest pigeon over battle. end of march will be very good as always. access out from the pp should be no problem.

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 09:58 PM
if your headed that way chubb, i would suggest pigeon over battle. end of march will be very good as always. access out from the pp should be no problem.

Dace i have a very reliable tip for Battle.....you know how to access the south east campground and boat launch on Battle?

Daceminnow
03-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Dace i have a very reliable tip for Battle.....you know how to access the south east campground and boat launch on Battle?

i believe off hwy 13. the closest i've been to battle is seeing the sign off hwy 771 to the north of the lake. wish i could help more.

chubbdarter
03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
i believe off hwy 13. the closest i've been to battle is seeing the sign off hwy 771 to the north of the lake. wish i could help more.

We are both smart sexy men we could find it.....lets go

Daceminnow
03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
We are both smart sexy men we could find it.....lets go

won't be hard to find. i'm sunk till the end of the month. next month is wide open..........just like all the lakes are gonna be!! take a ladder to the bridge tomorrow and catch some of those brookies. you gotta floater suit wash the prairie dust off it.

Crusty
03-18-2011, 08:11 AM
....i know you answer evey thread

Just like yourself, Chubby.

chubbdarter
03-18-2011, 08:36 AM
ah the short bus pulls into the station......

gprime27
03-18-2011, 11:22 AM
you caught all those Brookies on a smelt?

well, I'm not afraid to say it now :).. we caught them all on wollybuggers green - black, no weight no nothing on it.. I figure by the time it comes next year 75% of you will forget :sHa_sarcasticlol:

npauls
03-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Its not a big secret that the trout in the eat woolly buggers all year round in there gprime.

I will be chucking a bugger pattern with a chroni behind it as soon as the ice is off.

gprime27
03-18-2011, 05:05 PM
it's not a big secret.. BUT, how many people really use them in winter? not alot..

chubbdarter
03-18-2011, 06:17 PM
a friend who lives in coalhurst told me they were biting on power leaches for him the 2 times he fished it thru the ice.

P.s. i was there today and walked out about 50 feet and felt safe....i walked out were the lake edge heads north in front of the big pine .

Daceminnow
03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
a friend who lives in coalhurst told me they were biting on power leaches for him the 2 times he fished it thru the ice.

P.s. i was there today and walked out about 50 feet and felt safe....i walked out were the lake edge heads north in front of the big pine .

chubb you fish or just out on a nature hike?

chubbdarter
03-18-2011, 11:33 PM
chubb you fish or just out on a nature hike?

nah ...didnt have any tackle....just a walk before heading to the U of L

Dust1n
03-19-2011, 10:21 AM
its a sercret if know one uses them in winter ect.

gprime27
03-19-2011, 05:55 PM
its a sercret if know one uses them in winter ect.

Yea what he said so take that :argue2:

chubbdarter
03-19-2011, 06:05 PM
its not very common i agree but my Dad used to use a leach pattern on his fly rod for ice fishing.
He would prop up his rod on a bucket and tie a rag to the tip with the fly suspended off the bottom. The rag would flap and catch the wind jigging the fly, they surprizingly hook themselfs. He made a shrimp juice that he would dip the fly in periodically.

Dust1n
03-19-2011, 06:38 PM
im surprized his fly rod never broke in the cold...

FlyFishFairwx
03-19-2011, 06:46 PM
im surprized his fly rod never broke in the cold...

I fly fish on the Crow all winter , Fly Rod just fine..

Dust1n
03-19-2011, 07:41 PM
i use my fly rod on the bow in river too but using that big fly rod on a little hole with a pivot would break it...cold just makes it more dense so it would break that much easler i broke more fly rods in winter then i doin summer if at all.

Sundancefisher
03-19-2011, 10:03 PM

X2....yellow ice...cloudy ice...crystallizing ice... not so good.

Still we have 2.5 feet of solid ice in Calgary...gotta melt fast...