PDA

View Full Version : Lake Trout Fishing Close to Calgary

DidsburyBowHunter
03-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I am looking for any lakes within an hour or two of calgary. i know about ghost but i hear its terrible. i also know about spray but i need information on where and how to fish it.

nicemustang
03-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Do a search on this forum. Lots of spray tips and tricks and exact locations, posted by me actually.

Dust1n
03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
spray for sure! no question about it go in 70-110FOW using whites buzzbombs are stang told me about with some smelt. start agrresive and morning bite is best! good luck

bigfis
03-18-2011, 06:59 PM
spray is all i can think of there is ghost but you will not catch as much as spray

Christofficer
03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
The fishing can be OK at ghost, it all depends. But spray is alot better.

DidsburyBowHunter
03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
What would the average size be for the lake trout in spray?

tacklerunner
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
What would the average size be for the lake trout in spray?

Not very big. 16 - 18 inches maybe because there's more of them in that size range but you'll get some 2 or 3 pounders too. Occasionally a 12 or 15 lber comes out of there.

Minnewanka by Banff has bigger ones but from what I heard they're harder to catch. Never been but 20+ lbers in there. Not sure if people ice fish there. More popular in open water and very strict rules on NO LEAD in your possession in the Park itself. Can't recall what people use to get down deep there. There was a thread last year on it. Try do a search on Minnewanka.

Braun
03-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Not very big. 16 - 18 inches maybe because there's more of them in that size range but you'll get some 2 or 3 pounders too. Occasionally a 12 or 15 lber comes out of there.

Minnewanka by Banff has bigger ones but from what I heard they're harder to catch. Never been but 20+ lbers in there. Not sure if people ice fish there. More popular in open water and very strict rules on NO LEAD in your possession in the Park itself. Can't recall what people use to get down deep there. There was a thread last year on it. Try do a search on Minnewanka.

ya Minnewanka is usually the place to go. closed in the winter, so no ice fishing or i could guarantee it would be a circus up there. and you are allowed to use lead weights but they have to be greater than 2 oz(might be 2.5). reason for this i guess is that the fish wont eat the heavier, larger weights. the big concern is that the birds would eat the fish who eat the weights and the birds would die of lead poisoning. dont fully understand that one but whatever.

DidsburyBowHunter
03-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Minnewanka sounds like the place i would want to fish.. i can wait till may. The problem that i might have is that i have a 14ft aluminum boat with only a 6hp motor. and what i have read that the water can get a little dangerous. would my boat be fine for this lake?

nicemustang
03-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Minnewanka sounds like the place i would want to fish.. i can wait till may. The problem that i might have is that i have a 14ft aluminum boat with only a 6hp motor. and what i have read that the water can get a little dangerous. would my boat be fine for this lake?

A nice day, yes. Anything else, no.