PDA

View Full Version : Panic in the Streets

Grizzly Adams
03-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Is it just me, but are we being driven to undue panic about this Hunt Farm business???? Like a lot of people, my outrage hit the roof and I fired off a bunch of e-mails to everyone I could think of. This is what I got back from My MLA. Doesn't sound like there's any way it's going to happen. Maybe, those raising the issue should be more sure of their facts.:lol:

Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills Constituency Office #639 Legislature Annex

# 3 4530--49 Ave. 9718-107 Street NW

Olds, Alberta T4H 1A4 Edmonton, Alberta T5K 1E4

403-556-3132 780-415-0994

FAX: 403-556-3120 FAX: 780-415-0951

oldsdidsbury.threehills@assembly.ab.ca

March 17, 2011

Thanks for your email expressing your concern with the rumor making the rounds that Alberta is going to legalize Hunt Farms by passing Bill 11 legislation. I have consulted with the Honourable Jack Hayden, Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development. He assures me this is not the case. The government does not support the idea of allowing hunting on farms that raise domestic elk and deer.

It was reported by the Alberta Fish and Game Association that Bill 11 would pave the way for hunt farms. This is simply not the case. This bill is a direct transfer of full legislative authority for diversified livestock, including elk and deer, from The Wildlife Act to Agriculture and Rural Development’s responsibility.

In 2002, the Alberta government decided that cervid harvest preserves, otherwise known as hunt farms, would not be allowed in Alberta. This decision was based on a cross-government review, with direct input from the public and stakeholder groups, and consideration of factors such as disease, economics and public support. This decision has not changed and the amendments to the Livestock Industry Diversification Amendment Act do not allow for hunt farms in Alberta.

I do hope this does provide you some clarification on the Bill and peace of mind that Hunt farms are NOT allowed in Alberta, and indeed have been banned through legislation since 2002. If at any time you would like to come and discuss any issue that is of concern, I would be most happy to have you call my office and arrange a time with my staff that would fit our schedules.

Sincerely,

Richard Marz, MLA

Olds Didsbury Three Hills

/sjw

Sharyl James-Wright, BSc.HEc.

Assistant to RICHARD MARZ, MLA
Phone: 403-556-3132 Fax: 403-556-3120

gramps73
03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
Sound good but if there is reason of conser it would be that the news came from a politician..anyways thanks for the update..
g73

MathewsArcher
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
5 . [B]Get under agriculture - If game farming in your province or state is not yet regulated by the Department of Agriculture, begin lobbying to have the jurisdiction changed. Wildlife management departments do not understand, nor have the appropriate values or mindset to regulate what is essentially an agricultural industry. Game farming is an agriculture activity and should be regulated as such.

6. Be well-resourced - Due to the many regulations and requirements, new industry entrants should be well-resourced and knowledgeable. Perhaps if you have only enough funds for an one-acre fenced pen, you should not go into deer farming, but consider other options such as investing in an existing farm or partnering up with someone else. The same holds true of knowledge and skills. Amateurs should not be attempting velvet antler removal if they do not know what they are doing. Situations like this give ammunition to the opponents who can claim inhumane conditions and treatment of animals.

7. Information packages - We need to prepare and distribute brochures, flyers, websites and other information packages to explain the benefits of game farming to various audiences. PETA does a very good job of this, and our industry needs to do so as well.

8. Credible spokespeople - One effective strategy many organizations use to promote their particular cause is to use celebrities - a well-known sports figure, movie star, prominent business person and so on. The game farming industry should recruit and use such people as well.

9. Join and support organizations - There are two separate strategies here. One is to join organizations that support hunting and the game farming industry. Two of the best known are Safari Club International ( http://www.safariclub.org ) and the Canadian Outdoor Heritage Alliance. Join these organizations and work with them to preserve the rights associated with your industry.

The other strategy is to join and actively participate in the wildlife associations that presently oppose game farming. These organizations operate on democratic principles, and thus members can affect change from within. Join, attend meetings, make your views known, run for the executive and board, and make things happen.

Published strategy to legalize paid hunting from an industry website coupled with Mel Knights recent statements leave a lot of room to doubt the claimed purpose of Bill 11.

I have no issue with ‘harvesting’ animals that we raise . . . I am no bleeding heart … I don’t believe Alberta is ready for hunt farms yet, but the issue is not going away . . . We must allow people in that (game ranching) industry to control their own destiny.”

I removed the link to COHA in the quote above as it now goes to a XXX site.