PDA

View Full Version : ice still safe?

feserboy
03-18-2011, 09:53 AM
we were planning on going ice fishing to day and my girlfriends mother is worried that the ice isnt safe enough to go out on. i wasnt planning on driving out but still she is worried that with all the warm weather it wouldnt be safe. does anyone know how thick the ice is around calgary?

cujo1969
03-18-2011, 09:56 AM
ice is good on mcgregor but its closed im sur enewells good still

nicemustang
03-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Well, first of all. Check your regs. Lots of lake our way are closed. Ice in central AB is still great so if that's where your headed, it will be good to go.

Jwood 456
03-18-2011, 10:22 AM
In the last couple of weeks I have fished the northern and central lakes and the ice has been a solid 3ft or more. Most of the ice has also been the strong black ice.

tacklerunner
03-18-2011, 10:24 AM
The thaw has been on big time the last week. I drove past a couple of lakes that are open year round in the Nanton area and the shoreline is melted and there's open water at least 50 feet out making them unaccessible. I officially hung up my auger yesterday.

I'm not sure about out east at Newell. Wayne Christie might know. But as mentioned many lakes in the area are now closed.

As you head north where there was more snow, the lakes are insulated by the snow and are in better condition but I would certainly get current, first hand info from someone before venturing out.

Daceminnow
03-18-2011, 11:02 AM
we were planning on going ice fishing to day and my girlfriends mother is worried that the ice isnt safe enough to go out on. i wasnt planning on driving out but still she is worried that with all the warm weather it wouldnt be safe. does anyone know how thick the ice is around calgary?

a couple of us were on mac and cvr on closing day/night. like tackle has said the ice has deteriorated substantially in the last week in the south. coming off was sketchy at best. if you venture out to newell be careful and don't be the only vehicle to give it a go.

kreator
03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Tons of ice on the lakes in the Lac La Biche area (still over a foot of snow, too). Takes a heck of a lot more than a couple days of above zero temps to melt 3+ feet of ice.

fishdude17
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Was out at Burntstick Lake on Saturday, ice is 23-26" still.

Dust1n
03-20-2011, 08:04 PM
sylvan nd gull has a good 3 ffeet of ice on them

Willowtrail
03-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Was at Gull on Saturday. NW corner of the lake. 29", measured with a tape measure, lots of snow still too

Daceminnow
03-21-2011, 09:22 PM
heard vehicles were still travelling on the ice at chain on Sunday. not just out in front of the launch on the south end, but guys were travelling north along the shoreline as well. makes me wonder what's really happening out at PCR, as it's not that far to the east. guess a little more windy open prairie could be the difference. the snow on top of everything now is gonna make things look very deceiving.

Penner
03-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Anything Edmonton and North I'd be more worried about ice still being on the lakes for the May long weekend. Plenty out there and it isn't warming up till the end of the weekend.