PDA

View Full Version : Which Hub Design Is The Best?

beerhonky
03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Hello All,

I have a brand new Frabil Outpost and the hubs are terrible on it. Poles keep popping out of the hubs.

I would like to replace the hubs so I'm looking for opinions on which brand of tent has the best Hub design.

If you got any pictures of differen't hubs that would be much appreciated too.

Cheers

780sjc
03-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Hello All,

I have a brand new Frabil Outpost and the hubs are terrible on it. Poles keep popping out of the hubs.

I would like to replace the hubs so I'm looking for opinions on which brand of tent has the best Hub design.

If you got any pictures of differen't hubs that would be much appreciated too.

Cheers

Ice cube 100%. They originally started making pop up hunting blinds and then moved into making pop up ice shelters as well. There the original maker and IMO have mastered it the best. Also have a frabill that has the hubs breaking through the fabric and breaking all the time. Have to be very gentle with it. Had the ice cube for about 5 years now and has withstood a lot of abuse including it blowing away down the lake on many occasions.

FishBrain
03-18-2011, 04:07 PM
THe sub Zero one I got From Can Tire last year is good. Hubs are all in good shape, have not ripped anywhere, and the poles do not pop out.

Vessey
03-19-2011, 10:43 AM
I have the same tent and it has been nothing but problems. It wasn't the hubs that were the problem it was the pins in the poles weren't secured to the poles and would slide around so the pole could come out of the hub. Lots of people had the same problem last year. I would suggest returning it if you can because that is just the first problem that developes with these tents. The whole hub assembly will start ripping out of the fabric too.

If you can't return it here is how I fixed mine...

I took all the hubs apart and took out the little pins holding the poles in. I roughened up the pins with a chisel then epoxied them all back into the poles. I sewed an "X" at each hub with 20lb fireline tieing each hub to the fabric. Everything is fine now but it took a bit of work.