PDA

View Full Version : north sask river

coorslight
03-18-2011, 03:51 PM
does it get real muddy one ice off or just when everything starts melting hard

KegRiver
03-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Yup. Expect muddy water from ice out to mid summer.

greylynx
03-18-2011, 08:47 PM
A lot turbidity depends on what is let go out of the dam by Nordegg.

Geezle
03-18-2011, 08:59 PM
A lot turbidity depends on what is let go out of the dam by Nordegg.

Yup. There will definitely be some from the runoff when everything melts upstream, but you'll really notice it when they open up that dam! :shark:

Alberta Bigbore
03-18-2011, 09:09 PM
still good for sucker fishing at those times!! or some of the side creeks for pike

alodar
03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Don't forget the epic walleye fishing in spring

Alberta Bigbore
03-19-2011, 12:23 AM
maybe... but i prefer the walleye fishing from August right through fall on the NSR

alodar
03-19-2011, 12:58 AM
I got a 12 lb walleye that says Springs the best lol cant figure out how to save the photo to my phone from my Facebook

Geezle
03-19-2011, 08:25 AM
maybe... but i prefer the walleye fishing from August right through fall on the NSR

X2 I found the end of the season to be amazing for walleye.

Spring is for the pike! :fighting0074:

-JR-
03-19-2011, 09:08 AM
There is a few day when the ice is off and the water starts to rise and gets ugly. those are the days to fish the river.

Darren N
03-19-2011, 09:27 AM
it was June 15th last year when the visability got to two feet. and then another run off a month later.

ddddd05
03-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I had great sucess early on in the season on the North Saskatchewan. My luck seemed to run out in July and I didn't catch a thing after that. I fish the river in Edmonton with a croc spoon. In spring the goldeye action was great. I love to catch them.

Dust1n
03-19-2011, 04:48 PM
crocs worked good in silver with a blue strip now i cant find one to buy....

boonedocks
03-19-2011, 08:49 PM
The only time that you can be guaranteed that the NSR river wont be muddy is when its frozen over.:sHa_sarcasticlol:.Seriously though,I wouldnt worry too much about water visibility,if the fish in the NSR (Edmonton area) only relied on sight feeding they would have starved to death along time ago.Try bottom fishing with minnows or dew worms anywhere that the current is slower.good luck.

KegRiver
03-20-2011, 02:11 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with the NSR but I have spent a lifetime fishing the Peace and it is far muddier most of the year.

Most of the year bait is a must. We use chicken gizzard, frog, or beaver meat.
For Walleye we fish the bottom along a current break, like the head of an eddy. For Goldeye we fish our bait about a foot below the surface in gentle current.
For Ling/Burbot we fish the bottom in dead water, and for Pike we fish mid column in moderate to slow current.

With all bottom presentations we leave the bait sit. If fishing off the bottom, we drift our bait.

Once the water clears up we return to conventional fishing. Here a yellow twister tail works as good as anything.

Don't know if any of that would apply to the NSR, but it couldn't hurt to try.

hamster
03-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Have anyone of u guys tried icefishing in the nsr?

Dust1n
03-20-2011, 09:51 AM
your lure would go downstreem and i wouldnt chance it.

-JR-
03-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Drove across that Capilano bridge on thrusday and seen 5 deer standing on the river.

Alberta Bigbore
03-20-2011, 10:18 AM

no.... Lol

Our rivers here are just not designed by nature for icefishing.

Unlike Manitoba... They icefish on the Red River for huge greenbacks... so jealous. :-(

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
no.... Lol

Our rivers here are just not designed by nature for icefishing.

Unlike Manitoba... They icefish on the Red River for huge greenbacks... so jealous. :-(

X 3 Ever see how fast that water moves even with the ice ontop ? Not safe stupid idea .

uplander
03-20-2011, 05:52 PM
if your into sucker fishing you can hit the creeks up juring the spawn

Daceminnow
03-20-2011, 06:46 PM

i am reluctant to answer.......be i don't lie. yes. when i was young and dumb. caught a 10" sucker on a worm. stupid idea to be out on ice with moving water below.

Safety D
03-20-2011, 07:23 PM
The river is ALIVE !!!

I probably know it better then almost anybody !!!!
:bad_boys_20:

alodar
03-20-2011, 08:03 PM
The river is ALIVE !!!

Wow thats a first to think everythings dead but the nsr

I was starting to think you didnt know your head from a hole in the ground:sHa_sarcasticlol::budo:

Dust1n
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
The river is ALIVE !!!

ok soo where are the cuttys in the river and have u hooked into many brown?
hows the bull fishing i herd its great

uplander
03-20-2011, 08:32 PM
ok soo where are the cuttys in the river and have u hooked into many brown?
hows the bull fishing i herd its great

cuttys are in the headwater tribes you'll find the bulls all the way to rmh and browns Abit lower

Dust1n
03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
i havent caught too many browns in the river without something else taking the fly...and iv only managed a couple cuttys near rocky mabe 3.

Darren N
03-21-2011, 09:44 AM
cuttys are in the headwater tribes you'll find the bulls all the way to rmh and browns Abit lower

Neil Wagh did catch a rainbow downtown Edmonton years back on a fly. Everytime I go out at least I have some hope knowing they make it that far.

buckmaster
03-21-2011, 10:46 AM
:bad_boys_20:[/SIZE]

No, sturgoenhound does........

buckmaster
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Neil Wagh did catch a rainbow downtown Edmonton years back on a fly. Everytime I go out at least I have some hope knowing they make it that far.

X2, have seen them caught by the quesnell bridge area many years ago.

Darren N
03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
X2, have seen them caught by the quesnell bridge area many years ago.. Where they on the fly, or pickeral rig? That would freak me out if I caught one. Glad to hear other stories that people have seen them in the city.

burblecut
03-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Is it safe to eat the fish in the NSR (edmonton area)? I remember it was pretty polluted when I was a kid. I've fished it the past 10 years but only catch and release.

Darren N
03-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Is it safe to eat the fish in the NSR (edmonton area)? I remember it was pretty polluted when I was a kid. I've fished it the past 10 years but only catch and release.

It's approx one fish a week I think due to the Mercury poisoning. I havent eaten anything from devon on, but i have heard they dont taste great. i have had a few smoked and they were just ok i guess.

ice
03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Personally I wouldn't even think about eating NSR fish unless it's before or just downstream from genesee, before the river hits the city, you might find a human finger in there belly. Haha

DiehardFishingMan
03-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I don't have a lot of experience with the NSR but I have spent a lifetime fishing the Peace and it is far muddier most of the year.

For Walleye we fish the bottom along a current break, like the head of an eddy. For Goldeye we fish our bait about a foot below the surface in gentle current.
For Ling/Burbot we fish the bottom in dead water, and for Pike we fish mid column in moderate to slow current.

With all bottom presentations we leave the bait sit. If fishing off the bottom, we drift our bait.

Once the water clears up we return to conventional fishing. Here a yellow twister tail works as good as anything.

Thank you KegRiver. You provide a lot of useful information

alodar
03-21-2011, 05:56 PM

a lot of it is very similar to how I fish the river so in my opinion it all applies except I've found a lot of fish in unexpected areas aswell as in exceptions to rules are very common so on days when nothing seems to work try something weird

greylynx
03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Personally I wouldn't even think about eating NSR fish unless it's before or just downstream from genesee, before the river hits the city, you might find a human finger in there belly. Haha

A guy I know caught a walleye by the Vinca bridge, and cooked it.

It tasted like motor oil.

DOGFISH
03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
It's approx one fish a week I think due to the Mercury poisoning. I havent eaten anything from devon on, but i have heard they dont taste great. i have had a few smoked and they were just ok i guess.

The Mercury in the fish is naturally occurring from the silt from the river. There even is Mercury in the salmon from our oceans. You are supposed to be ok at 1 fish a week except if you are a child or are pregnant.

Alberta Bigbore
03-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I have fished the NSR since i was in grade 3... and i have yet to eat a fish that came out of that river, lol

burblecut
03-22-2011, 08:54 AM
A guy I know caught a walleye by the Vinca bridge, and cooked it.

It tasted like motor oil.

lol, sounds about right.

coorslight
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
my dad siad they would ice fish the nsr all the time with big weights and jigs for walleye and would catch them all day in deep holes

pophouseman
03-22-2011, 01:26 PM
this summer was my first year fishing the NSR (which we ended up doing almost every weekend) and based on the number of tampons, condoms, used diapers and pairs of underwear alone we saw, I would probably shy away from eating anything out of it. (and this doesn't include the syringes) :scared0015:

Walleye101
03-22-2011, 02:19 PM
There is going to be an Alberta record caught this year!!!