PDA

View Full Version : Camping with the Satellite??

The Great Outdoors
03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
We go camping a lot and I was wondering how people go camping with a satellite dish?

1) Do you have a free floating satellite or fix it to the camper?
2) Do you have cable at home and a satellite company for the RV or is the same dish transferable between home and rv?

Ken07AOVette
03-18-2011, 08:06 PM
on a tripod, and spare satellite receiver. WAAAY too expensive to buy a tracking dish.

220swifty
03-18-2011, 08:11 PM
I go camping to go camping.

Steven Noel
03-18-2011, 08:13 PM
I always wondered WHY people go camping with a satelite. If you want to sit inside and watch TV, stay home. Just my two cents.

Ken07AOVette
03-18-2011, 08:20 PM
I must have misread the original question, I was sure he was asking what people used, not is it ok with everyone if he uses a satellite dish while camping.

What would you guys do if a female ever wanted to go with you, tell her to 'pizz off, you are there for camping, not to mess around with a female!'

nice
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/KbxSrx/post-3-66129-threadjack.jpg

Lonnie
03-18-2011, 08:22 PM
I go camping to go camping.

well almost x2, I have a portable DVD player that I throw in to the camping trailer if I'm going to use the trailer, keeps the kids busy on rainy days, and is worth its wieght in gold as long as there busy watching it and not bugging me.

tbiddy
03-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I use my trailer for work so I keep a tripod and spare dish in the trailer with the flat screen and HD receiver. Best bet is to look on Kijiji for a spare dish. Make sure you get decent tripod, something that you can anchor in case it gets windy. If I am moving lots it sometimes can be a PITA to keep setting up the dish and trying to grab a signal.

220swifty
03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Ken, my daughter was concieved in a holiday trailer, to awnser your question.

Camping is about being in the wild to me, parks with RV's on asphalt 10' apart with sattelite dishes are parks, not campsites.

JohninAB
03-18-2011, 08:31 PM
I use a tripod and spare receiver. Works well. Works great when you have the fifth wheel set up for a month at a time for hunting season.

duffy4
03-18-2011, 08:31 PM
The Great Outdoors

Camping with a satellite

I was sure this was a joke thread. If it is...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

If it is not, sorry:scared:

bearbaits4u
03-18-2011, 08:36 PM
It sure can be nice to have the dish when camping in the rain. News, road reports etc.
Anyone take a cellphone camping? Kinda the same thing. Nothing wrong with it.
A real purist might not someone else taking along a store bought tent.

jts1
03-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Really?? That aint camping....

Steven Noel
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Fair enough, it is all about perspective. You're free to draw the line where you please and it's not mine, or anyone else's place to interfere.

Ken07AOVette
03-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Vince, that is cool, congrats on your outdoors nooky, and to each his own, but do we seriously have to jump in every thread and tell people what they are doing is not what we think they should be doing?

But, I guess that is what AOF is famous for. Read fight reprise deny apologize repeat.

sewerrat
03-18-2011, 09:18 PM
Ken, my daughter was concieved in a holiday trailer.

And no dish needed, maybe a video??:)

jts1
03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
And no dish needed, maybe a video??:)

LOL. I have a friend who just had a dome installed on the roof of his camper. He says it does everything on its own. I can get some information from him if you like.

duffy4
03-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Is there a difference between "Camping" and "RVing"?

LeonH
03-18-2011, 11:54 PM
I use tripod and a spare receiver. I personally do not need it but makes the wife and daughter enjoy our stays a bit more.

My little one was five last year and was a treat for the dad to have her around catching her own pike for very the first time. What a great memories those moments are. So giving her some entertainment on the side is small price to pay.

Also, I have to admit it came very useful to me last year being able to get out for the weekend to my favorite lake and not to miss World Cup of Soccer finals.

Rod1960
03-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Vince, that is cool, congrats on your outdoors nooky, and to each his own, but do we seriously have to jump in every thread and tell people what they are doing is not what we think they should be doing?

But, I guess that is what AOF is famous for. Read fight reprise deny apologize repeat.

You just know that's going to end up in a sig line somewhere. :)

benamen
03-19-2011, 08:17 AM
Satellite tv, video games all set up in my cabin. If that is what it takes to keep the grandchildren happy and wanting to come out to spend some time with the grandparents, so be it. While the grandchildren are with us we do spend time fishing, quadding, water skiing, swimming, kayaking, target practicing, checking game cameras etc. But the weather does not always cooperate. Hence the first two items to keep them busy and happy. Satellite tv in the cabin, video games in the guest house. This keeps me happy too. Especially if you have a half dozen grandkids around at the same time.

The Great Outdoors
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
I think the "camping purists" are the same folks who go camping for the weekend, never leave a paved road, and dont have a family.

If the thread jackers just put two seconds thought into the question, you might realize that some people actually need to "live" in their trailers, some use their RV as a holiday and leave for a month at a time, and some people actually leave the pavement and therefore need to remain connected.

So if its alright to continue with this thread, is the recommendation to get a second dish and spare reciever? Does the dish hook up to the trailer cable line? What are the other options?

gravelbar
03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
[

deanmc
03-19-2011, 08:43 AM
My inlaws stay at a lake all summer and looked into the self aiming dish. I think they said it was 2000.00!:scared0015:

I have seen guys with the regular dish and tripod. Seems like the kind of thing you may be very frustrated with at first but will get good at with practice.

You can buy an extra dish for cheap and use your home receiver if you dont want to pay all year for the extra one as well.

I would consider the tripod but would never be able to spend 2000 one the other system. But we all have different priorities.

I for one dont really care what you do or watch in your camper. Not really sure why some guys get so concerned about what everyone else is up to.

borchy
03-19-2011, 08:48 AM
I think the "camping purists" are the same folks who go camping for the weekend, never leave a paved road, and dont have a family.

If the thread jackers just put two seconds thought into the question, you might realize that some people actually need to "live" in their trailers, some use their RV as a holiday and leave for a month at a time, and some people actually leave the pavement and therefore need to remain connected.

So if its alright to continue with this thread, is the recommendation to get a second dish and spare reciever? Does the dish hook up to the trailer cable line? What are the other options?

Well said.

honda450
03-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Think its just a generation gap. Us old guys go camping to get rid of the outside world with no electronic gadgets. Solitude, peace and quiet. Young folk these days can't live with out them. Ya see it everyday with the cell phones which every teenager has. I like camping where cell phones don't work. hehe

mcguiver55
03-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Google tv4rv....lots of good info on that site

Rigg dogg
03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I use a VUQube on my shack at work, it's portable so I can use it on my holiday trailer as well if I want.
They are a pretty slick unit, there only about 18" square so they don't take up much space.
I have the Auto tuning one, it was 1500$. But you can get the manual one for around 700.

Orbit Satellite & Electronics on 170st in Edmonton has them.

LeonH
03-19-2011, 10:35 AM

You can connect the dish to your exterior cable outlet on the trailer, however cable signal is different and usually there is an amplifier on the interior outlet by TV location. This actually filters out satellite signal. All you need to do is to replace this TV outlet for basic coax outlet and you are good to go. Last year I picked up a spare dish and a tripod for $50.00 and of course I already had receiver for it.

chopperman
03-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I use a VUQube on my shack at work, it's portable so I can use it on my holiday trailer as well if I want.
They are a pretty slick unit, there only about 18" square so they don't take up much space.
I have the Auto tuning one, it was 1500$. But you can get the manual one for around 700.

Orbit Satellite & Electronics on 170st in Edmonton has them.

I spent pretty much May to September in my fifth wheel (2010) as I stayed in it while working, and I also picked up a auto finding VU cube. This thing is the bomb, get to a new spot and with less than 5 minutes of set up you are watching Bell tv. Most days are long and the tv never gets turned on but when the rain comes (I'm a helicopter pilot on forestry contracts) it's nice to have some entertainment. I'm also a UFC fan and if I can I buy the fights. I do the wall tent hunting camp every year and there is definately no tv brought in...ha! If we are on holidays and the kids want some tv I have no problem letting them watch "some" tv. I call it RVing....not really camping. Bottom line is each to their own.....

hockeydad
03-19-2011, 11:18 AM
no dish for us, cards, board games,good conversations and laughs, maybe radio, just like the good old days. Premium family time in my opinion, my son beats his teacher playing chess. ( I taught him how to play at night while camping)

LeonH
03-19-2011, 11:27 AM
no dish for us, cards, board games,good conversations and laughs, maybe radio, just like the good old days. Premium family time in my opinion, my son beats his teacher playing chess. ( I taught him how to play at night while camping)

My dad thought me to play chess when I was 7 or 8 and I can play not bad. Card games also but I wish he would have been more into outdoors as he has never took us camping or fishing. So I would rather my kids experience outdoors. And other activities while you are out there are a bonus but my first priority is to get the family hooked on outdoors and everything else is secondary.

Gorram
03-19-2011, 12:00 PM
As a young'n I'd ridicule anyone who "needed" more than a sheet of thin poly and a sleeping bag.

As we aged, "the girls" started coming out too.... my buddy included a tent for privacy, and had a better trip than I did.....

It's been downhill(uphill?) ever since.

I tow a 20' trailer for the toys behind the 5th wheel now, with a Honda 2000 gen for the rainy nights and the blender....etc

Can a sat dish be far behind?

Never say never :sign0176:

Cheers, G

duffy4
03-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Think its just a generation gap. Us old guys go camping to get rid of the outside world with no electronic gadgets. Solitude, peace and quiet. Young folk these days can't live with out them. Ya see it everyday with the cell phones which every teenager has. I like camping where cell phones don't work. hehe

Agree!

ishootbambi
03-19-2011, 12:37 PM
ive considered getting a tripod, but the way the wind blows in alberta im not sure id be happy. i dont like to miss a football game in the summer, and when i go hunting for 3-4 weeks, a little entertainment is nice. i can set up a dish and find signal in under 10 minutes no problem. bell 87 is around 140 degrees anywhere in alberta, and not far off the horizon. like it was said earlier, i cant use the coax cable that came installed on my trailer, so i ran my own. check with your local cable supplier....they usually have a stack of old dishes lying around.

Coldone
03-19-2011, 01:03 PM
We all camp as we like... Be it a pimped out rv or a lean too and two sticks rubbed together for fire..

Personally I'm stoked to set the dish up this year at the lake lot. I'm fixing mine to a shed out there.. If your going someplace where you'll be parked for awhile nothing wrong with putting it on a tree is there?

ishootbambi
03-19-2011, 01:52 PM
We all camp as we like... Be it a pimped out rv or a lean too and two sticks rubbed together for fire..

Personally I'm stoked to set the dish up this year at the lake lot. I'm fixing mine to a shed out there.. If your going someplace where you'll be parked for awhile nothing wrong with putting it on a tree is there?

no, nothing wrong with a tree. a few years back, i was screwing into a tree in the castle area, when a young girl fish cop came cruising by. she slammed the brakes and backed up to swing into my camp. i figured she might give me grief about the tree, but she was laughing. she wanted to take some pics as she had never seen such a thing. hmmm, it made me realize how new she must be to the job as i know im not the only one who does it. i just use 2 small lag bolts. in one place, i have used the same tree for over 10 years. when i come back, i can see the scar from the last time i was there, but the tree is doing fine.

lone wolf
03-19-2011, 02:00 PM
well almost x2, I have a portable DVD player that I throw in to the camping trailer if I'm going to use the trailer, keeps the kids busy on rainy days, and is worth its wieght in gold as long as there busy watching it and not bugging me.

Best investment I ever made ........ can be used in the car, on the plane, in the hotel room, camping ........ love it !!

The Great Outdoors
03-19-2011, 04:32 PM
VUQube.. This is interesting. This unit is an automatic satellite dish but how does it differ from a dish on a tripod? Is the difference in the fact that its "automatic" vs. "manually" placing a tripod/dish to find signal?

If so... is setting up a satellite dish maually that big of a PITA that its worth the $799 for the VUQube Staiobary Automatic?

deerhunter
03-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Lets be constructive NOT DESTRUCTIVE! Play nice kids!

Ken07AOVette
03-19-2011, 05:25 PM
VUQube.. This is interesting. This unit is an automatic satellite dish but how does it differ from a dish on a tripod? Is the difference in the fact that its "automatic" vs. "manually" placing a tripod/dish to find signal?

If so... is setting up a satellite dish maually that big of a PITA that its worth the $799 for the VUQube Staiobary Automatic?

I used to set up dishes for a living, and am a certified Direcway installer. Yes it can be that much of a PITA. There are some that I spent hours on, some that I put the dish on the arm and had signal immediately. Mind you when I did them I used the receiver only, the sat finders were $1500.00.

If you have lots of money or no patience, buy an automatic one. I have seen used ones on Ebay for much less, but the risk factor is of course higher.

BigBuck$
03-19-2011, 06:58 PM
No dish but we bring some DVD's & the Wii for those rainy days...

HunterDave
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I have a King Dome on my trailer but I've never tried it to see if it works (no receiver). I spend my summers in it but I don't watch too much tv, maybe a dvd in the evening if the weather is bad. Other people out there have paid me to cement in 4x4's for their dish to be attached to but we are on seasonal sites and only move our trailers to travel to other locations.

The methods that I know of that people use are tripods or a dish bolted onto a pallet on top of the trailer roof. As long as the dish doesn't sway with the wind you won't get the signal fade on the tv.

I have a a large door on the side of my trailer that I can open, turn the tv around so you can view it outside the trailer, two external speakers and a remote control sensor to change channel and adjust the volume. A buddy of mine has an extra receiver that he's going to lend me this summer so we can watch the playoffs, UFC, etc on weekends while sitting outside on the deck with a few pops. :)

We used to have a saying in the Army, "Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field." :)

sinawalli
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Not sure if I'd go for a sat set up, but DEFINITELY with a portable DVD player that also works in the truck, as a previous poster said. It is a necessity on long trips and crappy days with kids!!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Why the hell would you take satellite camping , your camping if you wanna watch tv why not just stay home . Frig that bugs me people go camping and have there satellites and generators blasting day and night whats wrong with sitting around the fire enjoying the outdoors . If its raining pull out a tarp , or go inside play some cards . It just baffles me why people do this .

Ken07AOVette
03-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Why the hell would you take satellite camping , your camping if you wanna watch tv why not just stay home . Frig that bugs me people go camping and have there satellites and generators blasting day and night whats wrong with sitting around the fire enjoying the outdoors . If its raining pull out a tarp , or go inside play some cards . It just baffles me why people do this .

Do you have children? Most kids are video kids, and are miserable if they are forced off their regular habits cold turkey.

The times of sleeping under the stars in a tiny tent are gone, (most) people don't rough it any more. When you think of it, the only people that ever roughed it were the ones with no money. Now camping for us is to get away from the phones, away from familiar surroundings, play with squirrels, go boating, spend time with the kids. None of us need to prove anything to anyone about being a purist. Like many say, each to their own.

What amazes me is people getting mad in a public forum because people like to watch tv when they want to.

I think decks of cards should be outlawed. I was forced into that boring crap by my family when I was young. I would rather teach the kids to steal hubcaps than make them touch cards.

ishootbambi
03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Why the hell would you take satellite camping , your camping if you wanna watch tv why not just stay home . .

i have an answer that you may understand john.....i refuse to miss an eskimo game.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Do you have children? Most kids are video kids, and are miserable if they are forced off their regular habits cold turkey.

The times of sleeping under the stars in a tiny tent are gone, (most) people don't rough it any more. When you think of it, the only people that ever roughed it were the ones with no money. Now camping for us is to get away from the phones, away from familiar surroundings, play with squirrels, go boating, spend time with the kids. None of us need to prove anything to anyone about being a purist. Like many say, each to their own.

What amazes me is people getting mad in a public forum because people like to watch tv when they want to.

I think decks of cards should be outlawed. I was forced into that boring crap by my family when I was young. I would rather teach the kids to steal hubcaps than make them touch cards.

Huh Ive got not kids for the safety of the remainder of the world . Its only 2 or 3 days if they cant go without tv for a few days theres more problems then just stopping cold turkey .

I dont know I remember being a little kid sleeping in a tent camping , dad havin a rifle near by just in case. I think soceity has gotten way to lazy . I own a holiday trailer and a fifth wheel but still choose to sleep in a tent . Hell ill even take my 5th wheel and sleep in my tent . Why because I love it . I use to think it was cool camping in a camp ground those places are such gong shows now in days not worth it , find a chunk of fairly dry land and Git R Done .

Im not mad Ken , just mearly makes me roll my eyes that someone would go camping to watch tv . Sounds kinda pointless to me . Spend 30 or 40 or 50 ,000 dollars on a trailer then what 100 bucks for a weekend at a camp ground plus another 100-200 for fuel to haul that trailer , just to watch tv . 5hit if you ask me id spend that money on something else if that was the case . To each there own i guess .

I guess to each there own your kids i guess .
i have an answer that you may understand john.....i refuse to miss an eskimo game.

I can understand that As Football is my game but still could careless im camping ill listen to it on the radio . I guess im just old fashion or dont get it .

Ken07AOVette
03-19-2011, 10:17 PM
Understood John, the point I was making was that we all go for different reasons. Some of the places I go to have distinct and clearly marked areas for tenting, for no generators, and for no kids, etc.

I have to admit that I hate people camping with dogs, screaming uncontrollable kids, and stereos that they blast all hours day and night. The worst are the fighters, screaming, swearing constantly.

Tv for me sometimes is a way to shut out the outside idiots.

npbra
03-19-2011, 11:09 PM

I bought a tripod, spare dish and LNB and take one of my receivers out of the house when I feel the need to have satellite TV on a trip. If you hook up to the cable outlet on the trailer, it won't work, as mentioned before. Also, don't tell your satellite provider that you are using your dish on the RV, they might try to charge you more or even cancel your service. Just my experiences.

dbcooper
03-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Just picked up the Winegard carry-out from the local RV show:sHa_shakeshout: Can't wait to settle in after a day of fishing and catch a football game. Could careless who thinks this is camping. I will be having a blast.

DB

deanmc
03-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Understood John, the point I was making was that we all go for different reasons. Some of the places I go to have distinct and clearly marked areas for tenting, for no generators, and for no kids, etc.

I have to admit that I hate people camping with dogs, screaming uncontrollable kids, and stereos that they blast all hours day and night. The worst are the fighters, screaming, swearing constantly.

Tv for me sometimes is a way to shut out the outside idiots.

Lol I agree. I thought about buying a louder generator to drown out the noise of the drunks so I can sleep. lol

Seriously though I would camp in more remote areas and have more fun but the wife and kids would hate it.:thinking-006: I dont think i want to camp in the wilderness alone.

HunterDave
03-20-2011, 01:38 AM
I agree with both sides of the do/do not need satellite debate. When my daughter was young we did all of our camping in a tent and generators, tv's, etc were out of the question. We had some absolutely great times around the campfire, under tarps in the rain, etc and generally just roughing it.

I still do it for fishing and hunting camps but neither my wife or daughter wants to rough it in a tent anymore. If it weren't for the luxuries of the trailer I'll bet neither of them would want to go. After having a nice trailer I know that my wife wouldn't go back to a tent but my daughter goes if that's all that there is to camp in.

I don't like seeing kids in a trailer on a nice day watching movies or playing video games when they are camping. I've got friends out where our trailer is and their kids have to ask if they can watch a movie or play X Box or whatever. If it's a nice day then they're told to go do something outdoors. If the weather is bad and you can't do much or if kids are having someone sleep over then I don't think that there's anything wrong with it at all.

AND when the playoffs or UFC is on then it's okay for me to do as well. :sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

HunterDave
03-20-2011, 01:51 AM

I agree John but only if you are talking about a weekend camping trip. If you are out for 2 or 3 months it's nice to have a little extra entertainment available even if you rarely use it. Ever once in awhile it's nice to be able to snooze on the couch with the evening news on tv. :)

Rigg dogg
03-20-2011, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I have a 30ft holiday trailer, I also have a 12 x 14 tent.

My family has stayed in both of them, I have taken my wife and both my daughters out and CAMPED, even in the 30 below weather.

I have also CAMPED in my 30 ft trailer, went fishing, sat around the camp fire, played cards, drank Hot choclate and sang Kumbay Ya and whatever else you HERO's do.

Then went in and watched the news on my Satellite TV, or watched the Flyers ALMOST win the CUP...

Hey Great Outdoors, like Kenvette mentioned, in my case the lack of patience is the reason I purcahsed the VU Qube. I use it at work, where I don't have enough time to be tuning in a dish,
It is GREAT!!!.......... One small bitch, it does seem to need a little more of a CLEAR view for reception than a regular dish

Shaggy
03-20-2011, 11:13 AM
We have a dish at out campsite. When you got 4 kids and a spoiled wife with you, TV is awesome on bad weather days.

When it's just me and the boys, it's backcountry camping. No technology allowed.

Kim473
03-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Have a dish just screwed down to a pc of plywood. If it is windy you put some rocks on the plywood to hold it down. Just take your receiver from home and some cable and hook it up in like 10 mins. We take our receiver to the cottage all the time. If you need a dish I have on old one that was removed because of an upgrade to HD. $20 where you located?

827rotax
03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
I live in my trailer for work most summers, I work 12-14 hours a day and like the noise of the news while having my morning ritual. I have the small self aiming sat (cant remember the name) throw it on the ground and in 3 mins your watching TV. It stays wit the trailer as does the flat screen and HD receiver and when we are on holidays it has saved my wife killing me many times. She loves to fish, if there bitting, if its nice, etc.... I dont care and will sit ing the boat for days, so we understand each other and she leaves me alone if she can have her squak box. Each to there own. All RV dealers have the self locating and you can get them for about $700 now. If you have bell, tell them you are moving and they will send you a dish free.

JB_AOL
03-21-2011, 08:55 AM
My son is only allowed to watch tv while camping on three occasions:
1. if he's sick
2. weather's bad, and by bad, I mean really bad. He loves stomping & sitting in puddles so it all depends how much I want to be out in the cold.
3. we allow him about 1/2 hr of a movie before bed with his snack. This is a mixed blessing for both him & us. It gives him some time to calm down & relax.

Some day I'll get a satellite, but right now we treat it like "movie time".

70fastback
03-21-2011, 09:05 PM
If my nascar races were on durring the week I'd be away. But they aren't so I take my sat with me when I go camping. Quad all day and come back for supper, cold beer and a race while relaxed on the lawn chair. can't beat relaxing with cold beer:happy0180::happy0180:

duffy4
03-22-2011, 09:23 AM
If my nascar races were on durring the week I'd be away. But they aren't so I take my sat with me when I go camping. Quad all day and come back for supper, cold beer and a race while relaxed on the lawn chair. can't beat relaxing with cold beer:happy0180::happy0180:

Wow! quad all day, TV while "camping" and Nascar.

Three of my least favourite things.:)

chopperman
03-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Wow! quad all day, TV while "camping" and Nascar.

Three of my least favourite things.:)

Wow, making a useless statement on a forum thread.....one of my least favorite things.:)

Okotokian
03-22-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't want to read through the entire thread. Am I the first person to suggest trying to experience the great outdoors without 300 channels? LOL

Hey, here's a thought. You can all sit inside the trailer and watch that tv channel that shows the campfire 24/7. ;)

BrownBear416
03-22-2011, 11:20 AM
We go camping a lot and I was wondering how people go camping with a satellite dish?

1) Do you have a free floating satellite or fix it to the camper?
2) Do you have cable at home and a satellite company for the RV or is the same dish transferable between home and rv?

Maybe some of the holier than thou should have read the ops first post as Im pretty sure it wasnt asking what you thought was the appropriate way to camp..

If you dont have nothing to add on the topic maybe try not posting for a change..

Okotokian
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Maybe some of the holier than thou should have read the ops first post as Im pretty sure it wasnt asking what you thought was the appropriate way to camp..

If you dont have nothing to add on the topic maybe try not posting for a change..

Are you voicing your opinion as a fellow member and poster, or are you issuing a warning as a moderator that we have broken board rules? It isn't really clear. Certainly some posters don't agree with the OPs choices, but that's pretty common in many threads. I didn't notice rudeness or name calling. But I don't think any of us want to break any rules either, so a clarification would be useful. Thanks. :)

freeones
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I appreciate the info on the satelite TV systems, I plan on getting setup myself. Keeping the wife and kids happy on the bad weather days and giving me some "me" time now then, combined with watching the all the Rider games from the comfort of my campsite makes having the satelite darn near priceless to me.

One thing you can always be sure of, there's never any shortage of the self-righteous types on AO. Too bad.

chopperman
03-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Are you voicing your opinion as a fellow member and poster, or are you issuing a warning as a moderator that we have broken board rules? It isn't really clear. Certainly some posters don't agree with the OPs choices, but that's pretty common in many threads. I didn't notice rudeness or name calling. But I don't think any of us want to break any rules either, so a clarification would be useful. Thanks. :)

Maybe use all your wisdom and figure it out all on your own like a mature adult oko!!!! Think you can manage or do you really need some detailed instruction from a moderator????:)

Coldone
03-22-2011, 01:44 PM
I us a bell satelite at home... Have two receivers that you can set up on a dish for each. You can specify that one is a cabin dish and they will activate it when you call before you head out. But it shuts down the one at home. Just telling them you have two receivers at home.. And they will both be active at the same time. Not entirely in their rules... But that's your call to make.

Also having a power source... My brother hooked up his generator and we watched a mOvie one brutally hot day in the shade. My lake lot has power so that's a nice Plus. No generator hummmm

Okotokian
03-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Maybe use all your wisdom and figure it out all on your own like a mature adult oko!!!! Think you can manage or do you really need some detailed instruction from a moderator????:)

Who asked you Chopper? I didn't address it to you. Take some of your own advice. :)

As for my earlier question BB, nevermind. It's pointless.

chopperman
03-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Who asked you Chopper? I didn't address it to you. Take some of your own advice. :)

As for my earlier question BB, nevermind. It's pointless.

Glad to see you figured it out all on your own......:sHa_shakeshout:

The Great Outdoors
03-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I us a bell satelite at home... Have two receivers that you can set up on a dish for each. You can specify that one is a cabin dish and they will activate it when you call before you head out. But it shuts down the one at home. Just telling them you have two receivers at home.. And they will both be active at the same time. Not entirely in their rules... But that's your call to make.

Also having a power source... My brother hooked up his generator and we watched a mOvie one brutally hot day in the shade. My lake lot has power so that's a nice Plus. No generator hummmm

Good Tip. Is BELL who most of you go with? Or do you go with a different satellite provider?

Ken07AOVette
03-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Good Tip. Is BELL who most of you go with? Or do you go with a different satellite provider?

I have BELL now, had stupidchoice long ago, and DTV prior to that. I had TELUS for a week, but BELL gave me a better offer to stay on.