PDA

View Full Version : good lake near spruce Grove

Thundercatcher
03-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Went to pigeon today and nothing. No body near me was catching anything. Went by the provincial park area.

Anyone know a good lale near spruce grove within an 1 hour to an hour and half?

FishingFrenzy
03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Wabuman, Chip, Isle, Lac St Anne

The potholes: spring, start, hasse, mink, jackfish, hubbles, saur, chickakoo, etc

mudbug
03-18-2011, 09:33 PM
Wabuman, Chip, Isle, Lac St Anne

The potholes: spring, start, hasse, mink, jackfish, hubbles, saur, chickakoo, etc

Lac La Nonne is another good one, I was there Wednesday and had some decent luck.

1shotwade
03-18-2011, 09:42 PM
try lessard lake we did real good there today!:)

Jwood 456
03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
If you want to C and R fish for monster pike, then Wabamun lake would be the lake to head to. That lake is loaded with monster pike that are usually eager to bite. As for tackle and techniques, I do best using large 5'' or 8'' herring that is deadsticked(still). Use the biggest trebles you can find at Canadian tire for the herring. I tried 4/0 j hooks and lost a really nice pike and alot of other bites.:angry3:
Large smelts are also a personal favorite, half of the time the pike will bite the smelts deadsticked and the other half of the time they will bite the smelts slowly jigged on a 2ounce yellow jighead. I have had times where the pike will only bite the smelts when I let the smelts sit on the bottom of the lake. I recommend bringing both herring and smelts, because the bait the pike prefer can change hourly.

Lots of the anglers use tip ups. The reason being that the tipups sit over both sides of the hole, so anglers that are far away from the hole don't have to worry about their whole set up being drug into the lake. The tipups also have a bright orange flag on them that sticks up when a fish runs with the line so the anglers can easilly see if a fish has hit.
I personally prefer to use a 6 or 7ft summer rod though. With the rod, it's alot easier to keep the fish on the line, I can dectect light strikes easilly and it's more sporty IMO. The sacrifice to using a rod though is if a large pike strikes it will drag the whole setup into the lake if your not really close to the hole and monitering the rod continually. Note: If you use a rod and you get a bite, instantly slack off of the line for about 5 or more secs or even better wait until the fish stops running. I lost many pike by trying to set the hook too early.

If you head to Wab, good luck with catching that illusive trophy pike.:)
Note: A 10lber is not even considered a huge pike at that lake.:scared0015: lol

Dust1n
03-18-2011, 11:04 PM
on justins comment wait till your pike stops and turns the bait then set the hook and always deadstick for late winter thats why deadsticks are producing and the pike are comming into the bays and shallow right about now for spawning. tip ups are best IMO ATM.and 10lbs isnt even considered huge at some lakes like sylvan a 30lb pike. seen a pike that bottomed out 35lb scale at the lighthouse