PDA

View Full Version : San Jaun Worm on Bow River

trapshooter
03-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Can I fish the San Jaun Worm on the bow beside bowness park or fish creek park? If so then how do I fish it and what Lind of fish will I catch?

Dust1n
03-18-2011, 11:09 PM
hey they do work and they work even better with a gold BH you want it to keep bounicng on the bottom and you will loose some flies if nymphed correctly. i dont use strike indacators i use a 12foot leader and a long tippit 4x5x because of the snags but now id go with a 5-6x tippit and make sure it bouncies along bottom if you see yor line stop,twitch anything unsual set the hook cause hooksets are free and the more hooks ups u get. i would expect differnt kinds of fish on wear you fish the fasterwater id expect a bow or a whitefish, slower water a brown or sucker but the there are cutts and brookies in there so keep at it

uplander
03-18-2011, 11:11 PM
of course u can fish it! your gonna want to put alittle weight above it and have it under an indicator about 6-10 inches off the bottom and whitefish love it but browns and bows will also go for it

chubbdarter
03-18-2011, 11:32 PM
not alot of brookies or cutts in those to sections of the Bow

fishstix
03-19-2011, 08:10 AM
the river at bowness park has too much ice. the open water is way out in the middle. it may be dangerous. however if you want to fish that area you could go upstream towards the bearspaw dam. i fished there a few days ago and the water is open just about right to shore.

goldscud
03-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Just remember Bowness area will be closed Apr-May:

from Bearspaw Dam downstream to Western Headworks Diversion (W.H.D.) Weir (including the Elbow River below Glenmore Reservoir).
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.

marty1
03-19-2011, 01:33 PM
the worm is awesome i alway have it on.The thing i like to do is use buy and make my own.buy #2 eagle claw kahle hooks, beads and red wire.I use a two fly rig starting with indicator 7 feet down worm and a foot down from that what ever you want prince nymphs,wooly buggers, pheasant tails i use the worm not just as a fly but also makes great weight to help get down their, that way you can keep something on that always catch fish and only need to change out the one fly till you find what works for that day.Today it was all about white buggers.

chubbdarter
03-19-2011, 05:17 PM
im not a huge fan of the san juan for 1 reason it catches a high percentage of RMW and those things are far from my favorite species. I tie my san juans with red mono on a large hook and it helps to deter the tooth-less wonders from ruining my day...lol
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/001-28.jpg

I indicate fish alot and without a doubt the fly below is always on my line. This fly has without question caught me more large fish than all flies combined. Its a go to fly on the Bow from 22x to arrowood. The fly is super on the Crow in the Pass and is a killer on the Elk, Corbin and Alexander in B.C.
No matter the season if im chucking and ducking its bolted on.
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/002-26.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/003-23.jpg
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/004-17.jpg
I tie a couple variations but this is the basic design.

npauls
03-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Hey Darter I will take 2 dozen of them bad boys.

They look really good.

I fished the crow today with Erik and I ended up hooking into only 1 bow but lost it right away. Erik on the other hand landed 3 good bows. Hopefully I can turn my luck around right away on the crow. It has been awhile since I have hooked a fish on the crow.

Dust1n
03-19-2011, 05:44 PM
lol i tie my stones with super long leggs too its crazy how much better they work.

Daceminnow
03-19-2011, 05:48 PM
very nice looking SF chubb. i am also not a huge fan of the SJW although when i do fish with a "bobber" which is seldom, i do team my presentation with it as it is a great weight. i like to use it as my high hook though and have my nymph smacking bottom. anyone use liquid lace to tie worms? that's great stuff.

chubbdarter
03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Thanks Nate and Derrick but they are far from good looking....Getting old is a beotch, the eyes wont allow me to tie a nice fly anymore. Hopefully the fish wont notice is fast water..lol

p.s. Congrats to the Dace gang for winning the hockey championship.

Sundancefisher
03-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks Nate and Derrick but they are far from good looking....Getting old is a beotch, the eyes wont allow me to tie a nice fly anymore. Hopefully the fish wont notice is fast water..lol

p.s. Congrats to the Dace gang for winning the hockey championship.

I would like an order for a dozen of each... They look pretty nice for an old guy

chubbdarter
03-19-2011, 06:28 PM
LOL a couple three maybe.....Whats this dozen crap....hahhahaaahah......you young fellas can whip up your own with a pattern to copy....you guys will love this fly!!!

Sundancefisher
03-19-2011, 07:05 PM
lol a couple three maybe.....whats this dozen crap....hahhahaaahah......you young fellas can whip up your own with a pattern to copy....you guys will love this fly!!!

lol

Dust1n
03-19-2011, 07:41 PM
LOL a couple three maybe.....Whats this dozen crap....hahhahaaahah......you young fellas can whip up your own with a pattern to copy....you guys will love this fly!!!

haha i bet some of em are older then you thats why they need your flies :)

rielbowhunter
03-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Works,just fish it so you can feel it bouncing on the bottom. and you should get hook ups.
Chub thats a nice fly. when the stones are hatching on the bow! I don't think there is any better day of fishing out there anywhere.

goldscud
03-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Nymphing for Cutts?...oh the shame:)

Looks like a tasty stone

npauls
03-20-2011, 12:09 AM
I am terrible at tying flies and my A.D.D. keeps me from concentrating on it enough to put in a solid effort.

I will pay you for 2 dozen of them trout killers as long as they aren't worth as much as gold. I love stonefly fishing.

chubbdarter
03-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Nymphing for Cutts?...oh the shame:)

Looks like a tasty stone

I hopper,dropper going up the Corbin and Alexander....i generally fish back down with a indicator and that fly over the same pools. Its amazing how many big cutts you can convince to gobble it up in those log jams that wont come to the surface.....not a shame to me...each his own

chubbdarter
03-20-2011, 12:17 AM
I am terrible at tying flies and my A.D.D. keeps me from concentrating on it enough to put in a solid effort.

I will pay you for 2 dozen of them trout killers as long as they aren't worth as much as gold. I love stonefly fishing.

Nate i'll whip some up for you.....no charge buddy

chubbdarter
03-20-2011, 12:32 AM
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/055-1.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/azzrocket/scan00071.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/azzrocket/scan00041.jpg
2 we ate when we still used to keep a few
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/azzrocket/scan00051.jpg

npauls
03-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Those are some nice cutties Darter,

I am hoping to get into quite a few of them this year. I am going to focus alot more on small stream fishing I think.

Thanks Darter for tying some up,

I am more then willing to pay for the materials and time spent tying those flies. I will be fishing them alot this year hopefully. I think since I will probably be off of work most if not the whole summer I will be making a week or so camping trip up the trunk road to hammer some cutties. Hopefully these flies will come in handy in finding some pigs.

goldscud
03-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Just poking fun Chubdarter, it's all good fishing. Nymphing is very effective....just more fun trying to fool those pigs to the surface. My mentor teases that Cutts on a nymph don't count:). Nothing like big fatties in small creeks.

Dust1n
03-20-2011, 09:53 AM
ya cuttys are very realable for dry flies. thats why i love he 8.6 4wt on the ram :) secret fly the mod hopper

tacklerunner
03-20-2011, 10:23 AM
That's ironic Chubb. I rarely keep fish either but these 2 were delicious. I caught 2 over 20" that day; 1 came home, 1 went back. FH7, that's my brand new TFO Lefty Kreh 4 wt in the photo . Took a 3 day road trip to BC, all packed up and got to Crowsnest Pass and realized I forgot my Sage at home so had to buy a new rod. :1041: That's when I learned Lefty Kreh used to be the top designer for Sage, or so I was told, so I thought what the hell.
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/BdayJul3007.jpg

Dust1n
03-20-2011, 10:41 AM
i ove TFOs with a passion and the warrenty puts the cherry on top

WillyOneStyle
03-20-2011, 10:53 AM
Very cool fly, Chubbdarter. I will try to tie this and use it in the Peace country this season.

chubbdarter
03-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Very cool fly, Chubbdarter. I will try to tie this and use it in the Peace country this season.

cool Willy...i'd be interested if it works up there. If you want a fly to copy let me know i can fire one up to you.

WillyOneStyle
03-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Well your photos are excellent, I should be able to work with that. Do you have a recipe? I'll certainly report back on the effectiveness of the fly.

chubbdarter
03-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Well your photos are excellent, I should be able to work with that. Do you have a recipe? I'll certainly report back on the effectiveness of the fly.

mustad 2xh/5xl
uni-french 5gr. gold wire
pheasant tail
flashabou/pearl
blend of gold,green and grey brown dubbing
super fly round rubber hackle/micro brown
uni-thread black 6/0.

i look forward to a properly tied variation compared to my special edition blindman series...lol

WillyOneStyle
03-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I will get rite on it, snowed in once again.... extended fly tying season. Thanks for the recipe.

uplander
03-20-2011, 03:39 PM
just tied a few of those they seem like real catchers

chubbdarter
03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
is there such a thing as a black pheasant tail...if yes who has them...please and thank you

uplander
03-21-2011, 11:46 AM
is there such a thing as a black pheasant tail...if yes who has them...please and thank you

I dyed some light pheasant tails black it looked pretty good

aulrich
03-21-2011, 12:02 PM
A SJW is almost always on my line fishing the bow, I typically fish two flys at a time the SJ and whatever, typically I start out with phesant tail or a prince. in most days the SJW will catch most of the fish.

chubbdarter
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
I dyed some light pheasant tails black it looked pretty good

no more dying fur and feathers for me.........i'll head to country pleasures and try to find some

dennisb
03-21-2011, 02:04 PM
SJW hand down the the best nymph on the Bow(lower). I only really fish the Bow in April and the SJW really outfished everything else 100-1. Funny how the Bow treats everyone different. Some guys i know would never use them...they dont seem to catch anything at all with them. as far as the whitefish go...may only get into a few a year. Ive never fished the bow and not had a SJW on...usually beaded and on the bottom. I've caught Pike, Burbot and even landed a 13lb Bull.

BobLoblaw
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
SJW hand down the the best nymph on the Bow(lower). I only really fish the Bow in April and the SJW really outfished everything else 100-1. Funny how the Bow treats everyone different. Some guys i know would never use them...they dont seem to catch anything at all with them. as far as the whitefish go...may only get into a few a year. Ive never fished the bow and not had a SJW on...usually beaded and on the bottom. I've caught Pike, Burbot and even landed a 13lb Bull.

I call bullcrap!
I don't believe for one minute that you caught a 13lb bulltrout on the Bow!!!
...If it's the one you've posted a pic of, I'm pretty sure it was more than 13lbs...:)
(feel free to re-post a pic...)

Dust1n
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
faceless fly fishing...its a huge bull trout caught outa the bow river. mbe pushing 13lbs. look it up on facbook.

marty1
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
The bow never surprises me ive landed a 14 pounder and the same day my buddy landed a 17 pounder (had digital scale),at certain times of the year on that river you have some crazy opportunities to catch large fish that you normally wouldent see in the river (bully's)last year i caught a lake trout below the city weir.now i just need to catch the 4 foot ling i know are swimming around in the bow.nice brown

dennisb
03-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisb

I call bullcrap!
I don't believe for one minute that you caught a 13lb bulltrout on the Bow!!!
...If it's the one you've posted a pic of, I'm pretty sure it was more than 13lbs...
(feel free to re-post a pic...)
19 Hours Ago 02:04 PM

I do beleive those are fighting words.

He's a big fish...after i did the fish math on him and he came out to 17lbs. I like to think I know a few things about fishing so my buddy and I decided to give him 13 lbs and change just to be safe.

Dust1n
03-22-2011, 10:16 AM
thats a massive bull! i seen him down streem by the bridge under the walkway this season. he chased my r.whitefish on the nymph after a little chase h gave up.