PDA

View Full Version : Boat show jet boats

Fishgut
03-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Hello all jet boat owners thinking of buying a jet boat (first one ). Looking at the jets they had at the show, liked the HCM with the steering stick instead of the steering wheel, has anyone driven the stick and how do you like it. Never been in a jet boat. Any ideas what options to get.

Dale S
03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I've got a 16ft Outlaw Lynx Tuchodi Special. Its my midlife crisis toy, and its the best thing since sliced bread. I use it on the Oldman River that is full of big rocks and gravelbars.This boat is only 1800lbs. two guys can push it out when you get stuck, and you will get stuck.Any thing with a V8 motor is going to be over 3000lbs. You will find the bigger jetboats on the big rivers up north.You have to figure out what kind of rivers your going to be on and how guttsy you are.I have went across 10ft of dry gravelbar with this boat and left some tefflon on a few big rocks..IMO these are the toughest built boats and for what I use it for it works fantastic. The Oldman is just about open , its been a long winter.

player86
03-19-2011, 08:04 PM
check out brattjet.ca
many years of experience in their product

rielbowhunter
03-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I've got a 16ft Outlaw Lynx Tuchodi Special. Its my midlife crisis toy, and its the best thing since sliced bread. I use it on the Oldman River that is full of big rocks and gravelbars.This boat is only 1800lbs. two guys can push it out when you get stuck, and you will get stuck.Any thing with a V8 motor is going to be over 3000lbs. You will find the bigger jetboats on the big rivers up north.You have to figure out what kind of rivers your going to be on and how guttsy you are.I have went across 10ft of dry gravelbar with this boat and left some tefflon on a few big rocks..IMO these are the toughest built boats and for what I use it for it works fantastic. The Oldman is just about open , its been a long winter.

HA HA , I bought my mid life crisis last year too. It 's a Harbercraft, and I love it!
never tried a joystick steering but, have read a couple times that HCM make a good boat. saw some good videos on you tube of them running up some big rivers south of BC.

Harbercraftguy
03-21-2011, 09:59 PM
nope your all wrong...1775 Extreme Duty is the best shallow water boat out there...Harbercraft is one tough boat! witnesses upon request.......

Dale S
03-22-2011, 06:08 AM
When you catcall other boats or people for that matter, you fell inadequate about your own equipment. All you have to do is look on youtube at all the jetboating on the tough nasty rivers you dont see any Harbercrafts.And if you can stop them from porpoising they might be a good boat.With a 2in. keel Lynx's have the thickest bottoms available on the market. If you would have done your research you would have bought an Outlaw.

K44
03-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Send me a PM and I'll take you for a ride when the ice comes off and show you the advantages of a jetboat and what they can do take them all for a test drive they all handle different and it all depends what type of rivers your going to run

Joe Fehr
03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Another vote for Outlaw here! 16' Lynx is a heck of a boat!!

Harbercraftguy
03-22-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm no salesmen,just a happy customer.Harbercraft is a good shallow water boat.There all very capable with the right pilot.The lynx is a great choice.

player86
04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
Bratt Jet Aluminum Boats open house will be Saturday April 9th 12:00-5:00 pm. Come and see our boats, shop and projects under way. Refreshments, snacks and boating videos. 6 Erickson Cres, Sylvan Lake.

hwilhelm
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Go out to Gibbons Motor Toys in Gibbons and talk to Dan. I just bought the Harbercraft 2075 Whitewater. Shes got the 5.7L, 320 HP fuel injected Vortec so lots of power. Mine has 1/4" thick aluminum bottom, A.R. steel and some UHMW on the bottom. Harbercraft has the Preflex Hull.
Do your home work on all the options/ specs on the various manufactures.
It is a little bigger boat but I am planning on doing the NSR and the Athabasca River so not to much gravel skiing. It is plenty big for hauling moose, men,extra fuel and gear for extenended trips. I know that it will burn fuel like a bast**d but I like the sound of the V8. I will be paying my share of taxes. Dan was very helpful and there pricing was good when it comes to putting on accesories, which we all need a ton of. One cool thing I got was a spot light that fits into the front nav. light socket. It has the nav. lights on it and it is remote, on off, swivel, and up down all from a key fob. I also got a kicker motor with electric start, power tilt, throttle from the cock pit. Because of the jet you steer it with a key fob.
You need to decide what type of rivers you are going to be on. Skinny or deep? And buy a boat to suit.
Being it is a bigger boat I also got a winch, with its own Honda motor, a couple of aluminum push poles, snatch block etc. just in case I do get hung up on a sand bar. I got all of this gear from Dave at Explorer Boats. Dave was also very helpful.
Fishgut if you want to go for a rip on the NSR once the ice is off let me know and we will make it happen.

50/50
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I use a 1775 Harbercraft Extreme Duty. although its seems to be a tough boat, but I only have 140 engine hours on it. 200 Sport jet burns a lot of fuel if you go over 3500 rpm- only get 150 river kms on a (full ) 27 imp gallon tank on a slow cruise - Special Injector oil is also overpriced- Even with extra foam insulation , it is still very loud at the helm

If I could do it all over again I would go with a bit lighter boat with a 5.7 eng ... if I could just stay off them rocks ..

player86
04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Just a little info for you, Bratt Jet is the founding memebers of the original Eagle Power Boats who developed most of the Eagle and Harbercraft designs and building techniques. I worked with them for 12 years, now I just do some contract work for Bratt. Harbercraft lost pretty much all of their skilled tradesman when they pulled up and left Alberta for BC.

Fishgut
04-06-2011, 03:33 PM
That sounds great, will pm my number let me know when where.

needmoretoys
04-06-2011, 08:21 PM
If you are going to run shallow water, make sure you get the gear to get you off. I picked up the little gas powered winch that Explorer Industries sells. I have a Habercraft boat, but the winch is a must http://www.explorerindustries.com/index.php?page_id=1012
You should have seen the 2 guys I met the day I picked up the winch. They walked out for about 25 k to buy a winch and get their buddy to take them back in.

bowness
04-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I use a 1775 Harbercraft Extreme Duty. although its seems to be a tough boat, but I only have 140 engine hours on it. 200 Sport jet burns a lot of fuel if you go over 3500 rpm- only get 150 river kms on a (full ) 27 imp gallon tank on a slow cruise - Special Injector oil is also overpriced- Even with extra foam insulation , it is still very loud at the helm

If I could do it all over again I would go with a bit lighter boat with a 5.7 eng ... if I could just stay off them rocks ..

Had one on an old "Valco" 21 foot jet boat I picked up in Prince George. Had a 175 Sportjet installed and it was a fuel guzzler. Not a fan of the sportjet option. Get a small block six and a jet drive appicable to its horsepower. If you have a wide beam and 19-21 foot boat it is a good option for many rivers. One thing to mention, you need to be a river reader to drive a jet boat. The best boats will be on rocks and sand if you can't be quick, decisive and all balls or nope, I'll shut down and glide to my destiny!