PDA

View Full Version : Crusher Cones

ABCowboy
03-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Hey guys, the son and I are looking for a place where we can get a couple of used crushers cones to use as firepits. Anyone have an idea where we might get a couple?

Dacotensis
03-20-2011, 12:17 PM
The coal mines used to give these away. They had stainless mixed with mild steel and no one wanted to process them.
Maybe someone on this board works with a mine?
I'd be interested if you come across an extra. I'll keep my eyes open at the auctions this spring.

Champion
03-20-2011, 02:26 PM
My brother got one from Stongco in Edmonton a few years back. I think that they wanted $200 or something for it. The hardest part was the delivery of it as the thing was probably a couple thousand pounds. He had a friend that had a tow truck that delievered it to the house.

Badgerbadger
03-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Pipe is good too. I got a hunk of 48" for $50 at a salvage yard in Spruce.

caver77
03-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Will ask to see the crusher in our old pit might have some. Freight and handling is the killer. Generally most people I know just use the large semi truck brake drums, a whole lot easier to get, move, and modify. If the crusher cones you might get have any stainless in them like the above post they may be a real hassle to cut unless you have a plasma cutter.

CaberTosser
03-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I think those things tend to have a high percentage of manganese in their alloy to get the strength they have. A friend in the Okanagan has two for fire pits on his lakefront property, and they're certainly top notch for that use.

JonGee
03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I work for a crushing company, and we do sell the used cones for fire pits, unfortunatly I am sold out now, but I can put your name on a waiting list.

hwilhelm
03-22-2011, 07:19 AM
JonGee, Please put my name on the waiting list. How many names on the list and how many do you go through in a year? Thanks