PDA

View Full Version : Imported Workers

Roughneck12
03-20-2011, 11:52 AM
I have been noticing more and more,ie. Fast food,Tim Hortons,grocery stores,liquor stores etc.. that are fully or almost fully staffed by imported workers. When I was growing up teenagers learned and earned in these jobs and moved on to bigger things when they finished their education. It was a place to start learning and aquiring a work ethic.

My wife says that its because the Gov subsidises the wages of these imported workers and business has to pay the full wages of teenage workers. If this is the case, and I don't know if it is, goverment is contributing to a lost generation of workers from Canada, including my teenage step son that would rather play computer games and stay up all night.

Thoughts? And maybe someone can confirm that imported workers have part of their wages paid by us. The tax payers.

Dacotensis
03-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Yep, there are some subsidies involved.
The guy who own's the DQ's in Sh. Park has a lot of Mexicans.
He like's them because he knows they will show up to work.
He told me a stories of how his shift boss, young local girl missed 14 of her 30 shifts, was late another 5 times.
This was in 08 b4 the big recession hit.

When I got laid off from the fab shop, they kept on all the Philipinos.
Maybe they were under a contract to keep them employed. I don't know.
I wasn't PO'd about that. What really got me was all the 17-20 yr olds they kept on who missed work all the time becaue their friends mom died three times and they had a funeral to go to in Calgary all the time, or they were hung over, or they couldn't pull them selves away from Jenny or whatever, while living in ma and pa's basement. It did not matter because the bottom line was they could pay less therebye increasing the profit margin.
At least the Philipinos could read a tape measure, unlike the countless dopeheads who told me "it's one tick past the 8".
What? YOu mean 8 and 1 sixteenth? "What" was usually the response back.Gawd I don't miss that!

wwbirds
03-20-2011, 12:21 PM
There may in fact be subsidies available for employers from EI, or many other federal or provincial organizations to fund hiring or paying staff in low paying jobs but I don't think any of them are dependant on you hiring imported labourers.
Many people coming to this country are happy to improve their lives and have any kind of job so will work for wages that our Canadian kids often look down upon.
I too have a teen that thinks he is above working for minmum wage like I and many others did 40 years ago.
It is not the imported workers that need an attitiude change but the current crop of Canadian kids that expect life, lifeskills and jobs will be handed to them on a silver platter. They still think that a job offer will come to them while engaged in W of W at 2 AM in their rooms. Life will teach them eventually through hard knocks because talking is a waste of our time.

oldgutpile
03-20-2011, 12:26 PM
I am not sure how it works in every case, however I just attempted to hire in staff for my own business, and it is definitely not "subsidized" on this end. There are lengthy legal contracts and obligations to be met on this end,and in some cases where necessary, even accomodations must be supplied. The government has a pre-determined wage based on the industry standard the job fits. These people are not being hired in as "slave labor", they are being given an opportunity to work in Canada to fill job needs. Our labor needs have grown faster than our domestic population.
My experience in hiring, is that not too many kids want to jump in to these 9-10.00/hr "starter" jobs. A worker from somewhere like the Philipines is used to making the equivalent of 5.00/day, and they are happy for the opportunity to make a better living for their family.

benamen
03-20-2011, 12:45 PM
From what I understand is that if you cannot keep the imported employee employed for the duration for their contract, you must pay for all costs associated in returning the person back to their country. Its one of the reasons why imported employees have been kept on while others got laid off.

Boss442
03-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Remember when I was a teenager who worked part time I could have my own vehicle,insurance,gas money, and drinking money for the weekend! Nowadays what do kids have forward to working part time for? More x-box games! The price of insurance and fuel is so outrageous that even if they worked full time they could'nt afford it.

deerhuntercentral
03-20-2011, 12:54 PM
There are no subsidies, but there are certain obligations on behalf of the companies that hire foreign workers.

It's easy to say teenagers are lazy these days, but that's not necessarily the case. Most teenagers can't be serving your double double or big mac during school hours, as there was a real labor shortage (and it's coming again soon) companies had no option but to look elsewhere in order to stay in business.

That being said a lot of snotnoses out of high school or college immediately want to be the boss and sit behind a desk all day. Not speaking for all of them mind you.

great white whaler
03-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Remember when I was a teenager who worked part time I could have my own vehicle,insurance,gas money, and drinking money for the weekend! Nowadays what do kids have forward to working part time for? More x-box games! The price of insurance and fuel is so outrageous that even if they worked full time they could'nt afford it.

x2 1977 i found my self a 73 chev nova 'paid 400 bucks,fill the tank 15 bucks,bar money,and still had money,i was making 7 bucks an hour than,kids now cant afford to work,,every thing is over priced.

cochranenite
03-20-2011, 01:20 PM
even tho iam only 25 but when i was 12 i started with a newspaper route, then went to my uncles dairy farm during the summer then i got into landscaping, just cause my parents said you want somthing you gotta buy it your self( mountian bike, gas in the sled, music tapes). and when i was working with my uncle he said No work, No food and No beer so thats put a work ethic into anyone lol

I think parents arnt not hard enough on kids these, parents just give in to the kids on what they want

I know some people will say that iam still a young punk but i got JM Millwright ticket when i was 23 own 2 places.

CN

sewerrat
03-20-2011, 01:22 PM

Kids are lazyer than say 20 years ago TV, computors, x-boxes are more important to them cause momy and daddy buy them for the kids.

At least these Filipinos are willing to work.

KegRiver
03-20-2011, 01:26 PM
I appreciate the need for those foreign workers.
In my line of work we need temporary staff every summer. The company pays decent wages, over $16.00 per hour, and there is a lot of overtime, still we have trouble finding people who will come to work every day, and who will actually work.
We are fortunate at this office to have found four older guys who work for us every summer. They are all over 55 years old.
The others, young kids, boys, are about 20% worth hiring 80% worthless.
To put it another way, 2 out of ten young folks that we hire are worth having around. We have our best luck with the young ladies. A wild guess, but I would say that they are 60% worth hiring, 30% make do and 10% not worth the trouble.

I can see where convenience stores and fast food joints must have a huge problem. At the wages they can afford to pay, they must get the worst of the worst.

Redfrog
03-20-2011, 01:32 PM
I know restaurant workers who's wages are subsidized by the gov't. Their employer also provides the work contract that allows them to immigrate. They must work for a specified length of time. Since most of the time it is one member of a family that the employer sponsors, he also rents accommodations to these immigrants until they can sponsor the rest of their family. Often there are 3 or 4 living together in these accommodations.

It works well for the employer as he gets employees who usually have no idea of their rights, often being taken advantage of as to hours worked etc. He pays 1/2 the wages, the gov't pays the rest. He rents out property that would likely be difficult to rent for twice what the market is.

The employee gets a job and more importantly a chance to emigrate to Canada.

Canada gets some hard working immigrants.

it is a win /win /win.

Could it be done better. absolutely. Why should the taxpayer be paying to subsidize these workers. I think the employer should be responsible for the full meal deal.

flyguyd
03-20-2011, 01:33 PM
The problem is that most of the youngsters these days seem to have zero work ethic ,no motivation and figure they should start at $16 hr , do as little as is humanly possible and have their I-phone so they can text their buddies all day. In the truss plant where i work we go through 10 or 12 guys a year easy . At least with philipeanos you know youve got them for a couple years.

pottymouth
03-20-2011, 01:36 PM
There are no subsidies, but there are certain obligations on behalf of the companies that hire foreign workers.

There are definatly no subsides given to foreign workers. They do get to live in low income housing for a couple of months, until they can get the hang of the transit system, location of ammenedies and such. Then they have to find there own way.

I have quite a few of them, and man without them none of my business would function. There loyalty to the company and there pride in there work is second to none. Even though they come with a hire price tag than resident workers in terms of wage per hour, They are worth every penny.

Seems like the only problems with, disrespect, loyality, substance abuse and commitment are from people born here in north america, and that regardless of pay.

bearbaits4u
03-20-2011, 01:37 PM
My brother employs a few Philipinos. They are great workers and generally honest folk who are just trying to better their lot in life.
I admire them for leaving home and family, alot of them leave spouses and kids at home and come here for a two year stint.
That would take some courage and committment.

Photoplex
03-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I know restaurant workers who's wages are subsidized by the gov't. Their employer also provides the work contract that allows them to immigrate. They must work for a specified length of time. Since most of the time it is one member of a family that the employer sponsors, he also rents accommodations to these immigrants until they can sponsor the rest of their family. Often there are 3 or 4 living together in these accommodations.

It works well for the employer as he gets employees who usually have no idea of their rights, often being taken advantage of as to hours worked etc. He pays 1/2 the wages, the gov't pays the rest. He rents out property that would likely be difficult to rent for twice what the market is.

it is a win /win /win.

Could it be done better. absolutely. Why should the taxpayer be paying to subsidize these workers. I think the employer should be responsible for the full meal deal.

Can you please point us to a government website that outlines this wage subsidy system you're talking about?

Redfrog
03-20-2011, 01:51 PM
Since you are the resident on everything and we colonists know nothing, call it what you want. It wouldn't be the first time you were wrong.

Photoplex
03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Since you are the resident on everything and we colonists know nothing, call it what you want. It wouldn't be the first time you were wrong.

Oh, so had a search on google and couldn't find any evidence to back up your wild paranoid claims? Surprise surprise.

Look further up the thread and read posts by business owners (like PottyMouth) that actually KNOW the situation - rather than your "I once heard from a guy down the pub..."

Neil Waugh
03-20-2011, 01:54 PM
I have great respect and admiration for Filipinos (if that's who you're talking about). As others have stated ther are honest, work harding happy people, make good citizens and are quite happy doing the low pay service jobs that Canadians don't seem to want. We've sponsored over members of a family, helped them get their status, etc. and they've gone onto become productive Canadians.
The temporary foreign worker program is not a subsidy that I'm aware of. In fact employers have to build the case thet can't find Alberta workers before they tap into it.
Remember, we were all immigrants at one time. Except, of course, for our First Nations members.

pottymouth
03-20-2011, 01:56 PM

it is a win /win /win.

All the programs that I'm aware of don't work like that.

It costs us more in wages than a resident would, and the intial fee to find and plus the flight and etc bring them. Plus the guarentee work and term you have to agree to, it is way more expensive...definatly to 1/2 cost or free rides

If these workers came in through the legal system that everything you said is just hear say. Otherwise they are illegal , and may be the way you say!!!

I know one of my best workers cost me about $6300.00 to get him here, plus a guarenttee job for 2 years, at $14.00/hour( a resident would get $8.80/hr). He lives in a 2 bedroom apt with a roomate, paying about $800 + . I get nothing from the goverment other than grief why I don't hire locally. he gets nothing from the goverment either !

Redfrog
03-20-2011, 02:10 PM
What business are in Pottymouth?

deerhuntercentral
03-20-2011, 02:15 PM
There is absolutely no subsidy. Furthermore my understanding is the employers are obligated to pay them minimally the same wage as they would pay a Canadian. Sort of wondering why you're paying $14 for an $8.80 employee Potty? What's the scoop on that?

greylynx
03-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Can you please point us to a government website that outlines this wage subsidy system you're talking about?

Look for it yourself and then educate us.

Photoplex
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Look for it yourself and then educate us.

Duhhh, good one bucky.

The point, which so obviously went way over your low brow head, is that no such website exists, because no such "liberal wage subsidy scheme for foreigners" exists. It's more fantasy.

greylynx
03-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Remember, we were all immigrants at one time. Except, of course, for our First Nations members.[/QUOTE]

Spontaneous generation exists and lives well in Canada.

How else would you be a "first nations"?

wwbirds
03-20-2011, 02:34 PM
with very little research and don't rule out the provinces:

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/1137/#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_financing_for_small_businesses_in_Canada

Provincial info:
http://www.canadabusiness.ab.ca/index.php/operations/157-common-sense-tips-for-wage-subsidy-application

Neil Waugh
03-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Remember, we were all immigrants at one time. Except, of course, for our First Nations members.

Spontaneous generation exists and lives well in Canada.

How else would you be a "first nations"?[/QUOTE]

Well, if you are a true believer of the Blackfoot religion, Napi, the Old Man, created his people from medicine stones he found at the top end of the Porcupine Hills.
So I guess yer right.
(I may be a little off here. It could have been the Sweetgrass Hills.)

Kanonfodder
03-20-2011, 02:38 PM
They immigrated from across the Bering land mass I would imagine....

Photoplex
03-20-2011, 02:40 PM
with very little research and don't rule out the provinces:

http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/guide/1137/#

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_financing_for_small_businesses_in_Canada

Provincial info:
http://www.canadabusiness.ab.ca/index.php/operations/157-common-sense-tips-for-wage-subsidy-application

Absolutely none of these are subsidies to entice Canadian businesses to hire foreign workers instead of domestic workers, which is the topic being discussed.

Nice try.

pattycr125
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
i need a job, i would work at fast food, i have before when i was like 14 but i'm not going to now if it results in me feeling like a foreigner in my own country.

you get one foreigner in a managment position and next thing you know the place is all foreigners.

Redfrog
03-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Apology accepted.:)

timba
03-20-2011, 02:42 PM
The father in law has at least 20 fillipinos working in his shop,they do work hard but very hard to understand and once they get there citizenship they look for other jobs.

timba

Photoplex
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Absolutely none of these are subsidies to entice Canadian businesses to hire foreign workers instead of domestic workers, which is the topic being discussed.

Nice try.

Apology accepted.:)

Erm, yeaaahh. Ok.

wwbirds
03-20-2011, 02:49 PM
None are sponsoring foreign workers over domestic but the concensus here is there are "no subsidies available to business". lots of them available.

Photoplex
03-20-2011, 02:57 PM
None are sponsoring foreign workers over domestic but the concensus here is there are "no subsidies available to business". lots of them available.

Really? Because it honestly looks like the discussion was about government wage subsidies for foreign workers to me?

My wife says that its because the Gov subsidises the wages of these imported workers and business has to pay the full wages of teenage workers.

And maybe someone can confirm that imported workers have part of their wages paid by us. The tax payers.

Yep, there are some subsidies involved.
The guy who own's the DQ's in Sh. Park has a lot of Mexicans.

I know restaurant workers who's wages are subsidized by the gov't.

He pays 1/2 the wages, the gov't pays the rest.

Why should the taxpayer be paying to subsidize these workers. I think the employer should be responsible for the full meal deal.

There are definatly no subsides given to foreign workers. They do get to live in low income housing for a couple of months, until they can get the hang of the transit system, location of ammenedies and such. Then they have to find there own way.

wwbirds
03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I am not getting into the whole racial thing about foreign workers being subsidized. Subsidies are available to many work forces regardless of the country of origin. Perhaps those employers who take advantage of foreign workers and sponsor them are also more lilkely to look into subsidies.
Some responders accentuate that foreign workers are being subsidized by Canadian taxpayers. My response was any worker can be subsidized not just the foreign work force. You pick how you want to interpret that.

greylynx
03-20-2011, 04:30 PM
What about the foreign workers and foreign family members who go back home and continue to collect canadian benefits?

Does this happen very much, or am I just led around by those racist redneck's?

pottymouth
03-20-2011, 04:54 PM
What business are in Pottymouth?

We have workers, working for us in our Aviation, and Restaurants/Bars mostly, among other small business.

There is absolutely no subsidy. Furthermore my understanding is the employers are obligated to pay them minimally the same wage as they would pay a Canadian. Sort of wondering why you're paying $14 for an $8.80 employee Potty? What's the scoop on that?

So to basically answer your question, residence want $15/h to start.But dont want to work. Foreign workers will do the job requirement for the relative wage set out by the government. They loyalty, dedication, and lack of substance abuse or drama is worth the extra dollar as well.

Roughneck12
03-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok. No subsidies. I actually admire them, philipinos and mexicans and have found that you get better service from them than your average Canadian teenager.

I guess everytime I see an imported worker I wonder why a canadian teenager is not fighting for that job. Playing WOW at 4am and constant texting and lack of work ethic are correct, but heaven help us when all us old fogies retire.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.strategypage.com%2Fhtmw%2 Fhtatrit%2Farticles%2F20110108.aspx&h=e4bd0

Here is a link to an article on another site that I found interesting. Even the US Military is having the same issues as other employers.

Cattle Dog
03-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Phillipino girls are very good workers, and happy and friendly.
Most Phillipino boys or men are not so great, tend to eff-the-dog a little more, and most of them like to smoke, and hang around the buildings at every coffee/lunch break smoking. So hire Phillipino girls, not the sullen boys.

The irrigation pivot supply company in lethbridge hired an educated young man from a well-to-do Mexican family, and was he ever a great worker; they made him a part-forman immediately. And asked him to come back permantently with his wife and 2 kids.
(don't know if he did, or not). The other Mexican guy was o.k., but moved a lot slower, and smoked his tobacco when he could.

avb3
03-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I have got to know a number of Mexicans who are up here on work permits. As others have said, great people, great work ethics, and just the type of immigrant I think we all would love to have rather than some scamming "refugee claimant".

chasingtail
03-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Are we really that short of workers that in 5 years we went from pretty much no foreign workers to pretty much all foreign workers in the service industry. It ends up being all or none, it starts with a few then some more and then "Canadian Workers" end up leaving because they feel like outsiders and are the first to be fired or laid off. Immigrants own most of the small businesses in Canada now and perfer to hire there own. If the Oil Patch drys up there won't be many jobs left for are kids, maybe back to farming I guess.
Also makes me sick the amount of Foreign workers, or out of province workers being flown in to work in the Oilsands. When is the last time you seen a ad in your paper from Suncor, CNRL ect looking for entry level positions? Once again when things slow down Albertans are the first to be laid off as companies must obey the foreign worker contracts, and it's no point flying people in from the East in half full planes, so keep them full.
Just what I have been seeing the last few years in the patch.

fishnut9
03-21-2011, 05:09 AM
I have been noticing more and more,ie. Fast food,Tim Hortons,grocery stores,liquor stores etc.. that are fully or almost fully staffed by imported workers. When I was growing up teenagers learned and earned in these jobs and moved on to bigger things when they finished their education. It was a place to start learning and aquiring a work ethic.

My wife says that its because the Gov subsidises the wages of these imported workers and business has to pay the full wages of teenage workers. If this is the case, and I don't know if it is, goverment is contributing to a lost generation of workers from Canada, including my teenage step son that would rather play computer games and stay up all night.

Thoughts? And maybe someone can confirm that imported workers have part of their wages paid by us. The tax payers.

I am actually glad to see a person that knows the value of money working instead of some snot nosed teen on her cell phone.

fishnut9
03-21-2011, 05:12 AM
Are we really that short of workers that in 5 years we went from pretty much no foreign workers to pretty much all foreign workers in the service industry. It ends up being all or none, it starts with a few then some more and then "Canadian Workers" end up leaving because they feel like outsiders and are the first to be fired or laid off. Immigrants own most of the small businesses in Canada now and perfer to hire there own. If the Oil Patch drys up there won't be many jobs left for are kids, maybe back to farming I guess.
Also makes me sick the amount of Foreign workers, or out of province workers being flown in to work in the Oilsands. When is the last time you seen a ad in your paper from Suncor, CNRL ect looking for entry level positions? Once again when things slow down Albertans are the first to be laid off as companies must obey the foreign worker contracts, and it's no point flying people in from the East in half full planes, so keep them full.
Just what I have been seeing the last few years in the patch.
Yeah but at the same time how many albertans are flown out of the country to work at other oil jobs in the us or middle east. It's not just immigrants those newfies here in gp have no respect for alberta.

fishnut9
03-21-2011, 05:41 AM

I have quite a few of them, and man without them none of my business would function. There loyalty to the company and there pride in there work is second to none. Even though they come with a hire price tag than resident workers in terms of wage per hour, They are worth every penny.

Seems like the only problems with, disrespect, loyality, substance abuse and commitment are from people born here in north america, and that regardless of pay.

The reason is that the filipinos that make it to canada are the ones that worked hard all their lives to save up the money. The deadbeats and drug addicts dont go anywhere and are stuck in the philippines. So the ones that do make it here are the hardest workers. I know many people get annoyed with filipinos sending money back to their family. But you need to realize that to get here they had to borrow and scrape together what ever they had to get the legal papers done. They are only paying back what they owe. And greylynx thats false. They stop receiving benefits after their contract is over and they go back home.

rhuntley12
03-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Know when we have been trying the last month to hire entry level person, about 90% of the resumes we get are imports. (Nothing against them, I'm one myself)

They all have incredible education, but either don't speak English or their actual knowledge doesn't line up with their education. The very few locals we got either had 0 experience, education or knowledge in the field or were way overqualified and wanted a boatload more money then is being offered even though the wage is clearly posted.

I think teaching everyone they can be whatever they want, etc gets their hopes and expectations up where flipping burgers for minimum wage isn't acceptable. Should be teaching them they can be whatever they want to work for.

reelhooker
03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
As some of you may have noticed, I am often hiring entry level installers.
I'll hire a resume before any ethnicity. That being said, the best workers in my experience have been phillipino's and Mexicans. One day I'l lose it when I walk onto a site and see some twit I'm paying 20+/h effin around on his I phone.
I will happily hire on a legal worker who is a new Canadian as long as he is here to become a part of our Country, for many reasons I require that they speak UNDERSTANDABLE English.
My biggest issue with hiring immigrants has been Eastern Europeans.
I've had them offer to pay me to Lay them off after a certain amount of time because they tell me that if they get laid off they will be given subsidy to go to school on the taxpayers dollar. I have found that (without generalizing) The ones(eastern Europeans) I have hired and employed, Have been whiny, told me that I would be bankrupt without them, think that they are work more than others do not respect seniority and think that due to some level of education they received back in their homeland that they are more important and or valuable then others.
I have also never had so much of a problem with workplace sexism and racism as I have had with eastern Europeans. I have been told by two fellows who were from Lithuania that they would Quote "quit if i made them work with Jew’s or Ni*****s." end quote. They never got to quit as at that discussion they were both fired on the spot.
I will happily hire anyone from anywhere providing they are the best person for the job. And that is almost never under 25 year old Canadians.
I certainly don’t get any subsidy but my employees are already landed when I hire them. The bonus I get is that I have honest reliable workers.
Her I’ll throw a real wrench in this one for you by saying I’ve never had so many tools and products go missing along with major honesty issues as when I hired a whole bunch of “Christian’s” From one employee’s Church group. Now you all have someone new to throw on the fire…

TomE
03-21-2011, 10:26 AM
It's not just immigrants those newfies here in gp have no respect for alberta. " :argue2::snapoutofit:

From someone who has an infraction and starts a thread about his/her Mistreatment by the Mods, You insult every Newfie in Grand Prairie? AS well as the rest of Alberta..Arn/Narn may take exception to that..He seems to be well established and taking advantage of his surroundings..Most "Newfies" and other "Easterners" Have a great respect for Alberta. I see many "Albertans" that toss their Garbage in the Woods and Run their Quads places they Shouldn't..I Pick it up and Obey the Rules..I've been here for 23 yrs and while there are certainly some things I don't like..(there were many things I didn't like back home, That's why I'm here), I and most Newfies I know have a great deal of Respect for this Province and wouldn't be living and Raising my kids here. If half of the "Easterners" doing the "Turnaround" work in Alberta decided to move here the Prices of Housing and everything associated would go through the roof..Immigrants built this Country and no matter what, they still continue to Contribute..I keep reminding My Children that an Education is the only way they'll ever be able to own a House in Alberta...My Appologies to the OP if I've Digressed...:thinking-006:

Beerfish
03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
The first thing to consider is are all of the people you talking about 'foreign workers' or not? They may just be Canadians that are working those jobs.

Beerfish
03-21-2011, 10:49 AM

it is a win /win /win.

I'd say your definition of a win for the workers is pretty amusing.

Redfrog
03-21-2011, 11:01 AM
I"m glad you see the humor. a lot of people here have no sense of humor at all.:)