PDA

View Full Version : Buying neighbors land

TBark
03-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Struck a deal on some land beside a quarter we already own.
Beautiful piece, elk, deer are all over it. 100 acres in crop & 60 in bush. More open than our bush piece.
It was always agrivating seeing animals on this piece as we drove in to our camp LOL.
So being a private deal with a neighbor, no agent involved, what type of bill of sale do we use ? A Lawyer gave me a price of $450 to handle the sale / title transfer but unsure if the "Sale" itself is included in that.
Anyone have info on how this works & what we'd need ?

Thanks,
TBark

wwbirds
03-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I started with a realtors offer to purchase and a handshake once which was accepted and given to his lawyer to look at and received a 6 page document to review covering the deal. Gave it to my lawyer who drafted 14 pages in response to the 6. About 2 months later and $2000. we had it wrapped up with a survey to make sure the boundries didn't infringe on a neighbor and all the chattels, improvements and fences were accounted for and OK.

hang on it will be a wild ride!

also not sure about your area but if you own land adjacent to this peice if you have the same name holding title the land titles may merge the parcels into one??

Redfrog
03-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Congrats on the buy. Sounds like it needs an inspection by an impartial third party from Bodo, just to be sure it's all it can be.:) If you need help locating such a person I could help.:)

I've done some simple purchases without a lot of details for a few hundred bucks. Some lawyers are reasonable. I would not do one without a lawyer.