PDA

View Full Version : Report from the north

Freedom55
03-21-2011, 07:31 AM
Went out this past weekend to fish the last derby (and the last of the ice fishing variety for the year for me) that I could find and had the most pleasant surprise.

I was able to experience first hand the reality of winter fishing and how some people are satisfied to be out of doors and doing something pleasurable without the added pressure of filling the bag with BIG fish up to and including the province-wide maximums.

The Big River/Cowan Lake derby was held on March 19 with a grand prize of $10,000.00 and many subsidiary prizes. These prizes ranged from a Husqvarna ice auger to sonars to art works to kitchen knife sets. A vast array of outdoor products including a bicycle for the winning junior fisher.
Only 5 fish were landed, the biggest being 3.7 pounds and the smallest 1.7 pounds. Hardly quality sized fish (according to the great debate), and not one trout in the mix.

3 hours of fog then sun and 550 people, including wives and children plus one german shepherd pup, enjoying a day out before attending the great prize give-away in the community hall in town. Not one amateur biologist in the crowd. haha

Lots of laughs, a few beers and a bun and no one complaining about either the lack of fish nor the lottery style give away. Happy people doing a happy activity, seemingly without a care in the world.

I thought about it on my 3.5 hour drive home and then I sat down in front of my computer and saw right away that some folks were still name calling and hair pulling on the AO thread about the expectation for the province to create quality fishing in Alberta, within a half hour of their homes.

Well my friends, I have met quality and I say it does not come from landing the biggest fish. Quality is meeting people, making new friends, and enjoying life to the fullest. That probably sounds preachy, but it was a good bit more fun than the survivors of the raging debate were having sitting at their keyboards and searching for ways to sear their opponents (except perhaps for the two fellows who have found common ground and have come away friends) rather than participating in the greatest outdoor activity known to man.

Just a little plug for Walleye Bob et al and the Big River Walleye Classic in July; if you all want to meet quality people and have a quality weekend and maybe even win a pocket full of cash (if that is what spins your propeller) then walk away from the keyboard for a few days and get on up north. You'll be glad you put in the time and gas money and perhaps become a better human being for the experience.

BTW. I neither caught a fish nor had my name drawn, but I feel I won anyway. Meeting Bob Snyder and his family was worth every minute of the long drive and parting with $600.00 for the classic (boat #25) did everything to improve my mood.

Can't wait for ice-off and walleye fishing to begin.

So endeth the serman.

ORV
03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Well my friends, I have met quality and I say it does not come from landing the biggest fish. Quality is meeting people, making new friends, and enjoying life to the fullest. That probably sounds preachy, but it was a good bit more fun than the survivors of the raging debate were having sitting at their keyboards and searching for ways to sear their opponents (except perhaps for the two fellows who have found common ground and have come away friends) rather than participating in the greatest outdoor activity known to man.

good post i agree 100% i enjoy my time outdoors much more by
meeting & talking to like minded people. i have met some great friends off
the fishing forums.

my .02 cents

orv.

Piker
03-21-2011, 09:11 AM
there are even times I put a hook on my line and take my rifle out of the case but those times are getting farther apart all the time. Piker

bsnyder
03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Went out this past weekend to fish the last derby (and the last of the ice fishing variety for the year for me) that I could find and had the most pleasant surprise.

I was able to experience first hand the reality of winter fishing and how some people are satisfied to be out of doors and doing something pleasurable without the added pressure of filling the bag with BIG fish up to and including the province-wide maximums.

The Big River/Cowan Lake derby was held on March 19 with a grand prize of $10,000.00 and many subsidiary prizes. These prizes ranged from a Husqvarna ice auger to sonars to art works to kitchen knife sets. A vast array of outdoor products including a bicycle for the winning junior fisher.
Only 5 fish were landed, the biggest being 3.7 pounds and the smallest 1.7 pounds. Hardly quality sized fish (according to the great debate), and not one trout in the mix.

3 hours of fog then sun and 550 people, including wives and children plus one german shepherd pup, enjoying a day out before attending the great prize give-away in the community hall in town. Not one amateur biologist in the crowd. haha

Lots of laughs, a few beers and a bun and no one complaining about either the lack of fish nor the lottery style give away. Happy people doing a happy activity, seemingly without a care in the world.

I thought about it on my 3.5 hour drive home and then I sat down in front of my computer and saw right away that some folks were still name calling and hair pulling on the AO thread about the expectation for the province to create quality fishing in Alberta, within a half hour of their homes.

Just a little plug for Walleye Bob et al and the Big River Walleye Classic in July; if you all want to meet quality people and have a quality weekend and maybe even win a pocket full of cash (if that is what spins your propeller) then walk away from the keyboard for a few days and get on up north. You'll be glad you put in the time and gas money and perhaps become a better human being for the experience.

BTW. I neither caught a fish nor had my name drawn, but I feel I won anyway. Meeting Bob Snyder and his family was worth every minute of the long drive and parting with $600.00 for the classic (boat #25) did everything to improve my mood.

So endeth the serman.

Thanks Dave, SHUCKS-:ashamed::ashamed:you made us Blush. So glad you had a great time.Just wait till the July Tourny, will blow you away.Fireworks ect.Its allways a pleasure meeting like minded friends.Have a great day (Sammy says HI,she cant typ yet , hehe):bad_boys_20:

bsnyder
03-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Hey Dave ,Havnt talked in a while,last weekend of ice fishing:)

Freedom55
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
I had business in Calgary last week then drove back on the worst roads ever on Saturday. Cured me of my urge to go somewhere. I'm told that opening day on Delarond is close to the May long and May 15 down here. Long wait.

Speckle55
03-27-2011, 01:50 PM

Well my friends, I have met quality and I say it does not come from landing the biggest fish. Quality is meeting people, making new friends, and enjoying life to the fullest. That probably sounds preachy, but it was a good bit more fun than the survivors of the raging debate were having sitting at their keyboards and searching for ways to sear their opponents (except perhaps for the two fellows who have found common ground and have come away friends) rather than participating in the greatest outdoor activity known to man.Just a little plug for Walleye Bob et al and the Big River Walleye Classic in July; if you all want to meet quality people and have a quality weekend and maybe even win a pocket full of cash (if that is what spins your propeller) then walk away from the keyboard for a few days and get on up north. You'll be glad you put in the time and gas money and perhaps become a better human being for the experience.

So endeth the serman.

Agree.. David

bsnyder
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
I had business in Calgary last week then drove back on the worst roads ever on Saturday. Cured me of my urge to go somewhere. I'm told that opening day on Delarond is close to the May long and May 15 down here. Long wait.

:)Ya ,Cowan is May 15? and Delerond is usually the long weekend.Might still be ice this year?BOOOOO