PDA

View Full Version : Ice Conditions?

Rudy198
11-29-2007, 08:46 PM
was wondering if anyone has been out ice fishing or check it out.How thick is the ice approx.Also does anyone know any good lakes withih an hour drive from Edmonton to go and try....I fished only 1 lake for trout in the summer and there's no fishing for the winter on it.I would really like to get out and try someplace if anyone is looking for a guy to go with,i'm game...

jrs
11-29-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm new to Central Alberta ice fishing wise but i'd say Coal Lake has got to be a good bet. I know Bucklake has lots of fish as well, that may be worth a try. I'd be going icefishing Saturday but i have to pick up all my gear still (figured i'd get it when taking my deer south, didn't get one). I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of new lakes this year. gotta get out to Cow, Pine, Sylvan, Buck, Coal, and a few little trout lakes out towards Caroline. Should be fun.

boomstick
11-29-2007, 09:34 PM
sent e-mail:cool:

Bear Ballz
11-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Coal lake had 4-5" on Monday. I'd drilled a couple holes at either end.

-NDN-
11-30-2007, 07:06 AM
....I fished only 1 lake for trout in the summer and there's no fishing for the winter on it.I would really like to get out and try someplace if anyone is looking for a guy to go with,i'm game...

you must be talking about Muir........

im headed out this weekend, ill se how I do and then see whats up for inviting peeps next weekend. No sense inviting people to join me falling through thin ice, LOL!!!

wildman
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
hey NDN!!!!!!!!!!
we were out last weekend and there was 4" of good, HARD ice!!!!
add 1 week of mentally cold weather and you have nothing to worry about.
as long as you don't plan on doing any cross-the-middle-of-the-lake races of course!!!!
good luck dawg.
hope you slay!!!
i personally am waiting for warmer weather!!!!

-NDN-
11-30-2007, 01:17 PM
hey NDN!!!!!!!!!!
we were out last weekend and there was 4" of good, HARD ice!!!!
add 1 week of mentally cold weather and you have nothing to worry about.
as long as you don't plan on doing any cross-the-middle-of-the-lake races of course!!!!
good luck dawg.
hope you slay!!!
i personally am waiting for warmer weather!!!!

SHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! Keep It DOWN MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!

id like a slice of heaven to myself. Great, now i have to post "Thin Ice" signs all over the accesses again:p :p :D

chuck0039
11-30-2007, 01:34 PM
The regs says that Muir is closed from Nov 1st 2007 to April 30 2008 you might want to check that before you head out

http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/fishingregs/

Fish Managment zone pp2

-NDN-
11-30-2007, 01:41 PM
i dont fish Muir

chuck0039
11-30-2007, 01:48 PM
The way i read your post thought you where talking about muir.

"you must be talking about Muir........

im headed out this weekend, ill se how I do and then see whats up for inviting peeps next weekend. No sense inviting people to join me falling through thin ice, LOL!!! "

I know at Fawcett Lake there are quite a few guys out fishing the east end. They have been fishing since 19th of November, The quads are park along the shore and they walk out.

Good luck fishing this weekend

wildman
11-30-2007, 02:04 PM
oops. sorry NDN!!!
i meant....DON'T GO!!!! YOU'RE CRAZY TO FISH THIS EARLY!!! I SAW 74 PEOPLE FALL THROUGH LAST WEEK!!!!!!
:scared:
lets plan a post-cold-front trip soon.
cheers, gw

Rudy198
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Muir was the lake i was talking about forsure,Has anyone tried Star and had some luck on that that lake.Also i never ice fished for trout so does anyone have a good tip or method i should try.Thanks for all the info so far

mud slug
11-30-2007, 05:49 PM
hasse has good trout, you can fish off the boat launch and the weed island or off the beaver lodge. i head out there a far bit.not sure what the ice is like it's been froze over for a while so it should be safe.

-NDN-
11-30-2007, 07:23 PM
The way i read your post thought you where talking about muir.

"you must be talking about Muir........

im headed out this weekend, ill se how I do and then see whats up for inviting peeps next weekend. No sense inviting people to join me falling through thin ice, LOL!!! "

I know at Fawcett Lake there are quite a few guys out fishing the east end. They have been fishing since 19th of November, The quads are park along the shore and they walk out.

Good luck fishing this weekend

hey, yeah, no worries, i guess the wording does make it sound like i was thinking of heading there. :p

no no, i am heading for trout if work doesnt call, but not muir;)

-NDN-
11-30-2007, 07:27 PM
hope to pull out a couple of these for sure, i can already smell them on the smoker!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

-NDN-
11-30-2007, 07:30 PM
oops. sorry NDN!!!
i meant....DON'T GO!!!! YOU'RE CRAZY TO FISH THIS EARLY!!! I SAW 74 PEOPLE FALL THROUGH LAST WEEK!!!!!!
:scared:
lets plan a post-cold-front trip soon.
cheers, gw

for sure, at Carson? tell FF to un-ban me, it hasnt let me log in like forever

Walleyes
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Ice conditions are very poor up in the Lac La Biche area... Do to the amount of snow we have received this past 2 weeks it has made for very bad ice conditions and I doubt they will be very good all year unless the snow stops.. We had only about 4 - 6 inches of ice on some of the smaller lakes and then came the heavy snow.. It has insulated and is sinking the ice.. We already have over flow.. Extreme caution should be used if anyone is venturing out.. I hope it improves by Christmas so a guy can get in a few days over the holidays,, but I know it will be with quad or snow machine only...

SNAPFisher
12-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Seems pretty localized then. Ice and lakes were fine around Ashmont. Seems to be 4-6 inches already. About 5-6 inches of snow, not much. It will be more than great by XMas.

Fishin' Fool
12-01-2007, 04:32 PM
"tell FF to un-ban me, it hasnt let me log in like forever"

Hey BB,

I just double-checked when I saw your message. Your account is active, though it says you haven't signed in since July. Double-check your password, and if you still have no luck, let me know and we'll get it fixed.

FF

-NDN-
12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
PM Sent