PDA

View Full Version : Looking for work

dewalt18
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
So finding myself unemployed for the first time since I was 18 ('98), and not to sure what to do next. The obvious step is get a job lol! I'm more wondering as to what I want to do next. I've spent the majority of my working life as a Sheet metal worker, starting with residential then moving on to large comercial projects. I have completed my apprenticeship and red seal, but am now not feeling as passionate about the trade as I did when I was younger.

I would like to try something new, just not sure what. It's a major pay cut to begin a new trade as afirst year, but sacrifices must be made sometimes. I'd like something that lets me get outside, not really cut out for a desk. Something that would tie into the outdoors would be fantastic, but few and far between these day. Anyways, just my little rant, feel free to comment :)

DarkAisling
03-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Geomatics would certainly get you outside. :)

http://sait.ca/cometosait/academic/diplomas/agnt.shtml

dewalt18
03-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Looks intersting, but not sure how happy my gf would be if instead of a job I went for 2 years of school! lol

captain
03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
im always looking for painters.

dewalt18
03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Lol, tried that once... wasn't pretty!

sewerrat
03-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Become a water , wastewater operator. see if you can get a job with a municipality and then go for your water/ wastewater operators certificates thru Alberta Environment and the Awwoa.

http://www.awwoa.ab.ca/

7mm08
03-21-2011, 05:40 PM
interested in climbing power poles and playing with electricity? Takes some math skills to do the schooling.

dewalt18
03-21-2011, 05:41 PM
interested in climbing power poles and playing with electricity? Takes some math skills to do the schooling.

As a matter of fact, yes I am!

mudbug
03-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Have you thought about doing estimates for Sheet Metal work :thinking-006:

dewalt18
03-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Would love that! Hard to get your foot in the door though! Companies generallypromote from within unfortunately.

7mm08
03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Check out monster dot com. FortisAlberta posts there. I am not sure if there are job openings in your area, but I know we were posting for apprentices in Lac la biche and whitecourt. Have a look, or send me an IM with your return addy to forward job postings to. I have been working for them for quite a while now. Good company.

ghostguy6
03-21-2011, 06:01 PM
If your good with sheet metal you could always try to get into autobody.

DarkAisling
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Looks intersting, but not sure how happy my gf would be if instead of a job I went for 2 years of school! lol

Some companies will hire rodmen who have no experience or education. I know half a dozen people (two ladies and four gents) who got started that way (though I went the "school first" route).

While it is true that eventually, if you decided to pursue surveying, you would need the education, there are a number of ways to go about it.

Two of the gents were sent to school by their companies, and many companies offer educational funds even if they won't pay for the whole program. There are a number of "continuing education" courses available, and some courses can be done trough correspondence. :)

Honda450 probably knows a heck of a lot more than I do about the state of things in the field right now.

AB.Boy
03-21-2011, 08:05 PM
+1 I was going to suggest the same thing as DarkAisling. It will get you outside, riding quads, see some beautiful country and learning a new discipline. You should consider it.

dale7637
03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
I am in the process of looking for people for our oilfield rentals and service company for both high level and peace river. Family owned and run, great pay and lots of opportunity to move up fast. We are looking for field hands, and possibly a salesman. Pm me if you are interested.

BackPackHunter
03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
If your int. In getting into the patch... Im a supervisor for my company, the job is not your norm. Go hard job, there is shift work, it would start you @ 19 but u need h2s , 1st add, pst , you will be away from home a lot, but starting out u will clear about 1500 a week, for 7 / 12s ... There is room to move up, after your 3 month trial , and opp's for class one lic, just got to be willing to try and learn, n be a good employ. The office is in red deer, but the jobs r all over the world if u want ( I perfur to stay in AB ) but probably would have to do a couple three days a month in the shop... , I need some new employs with a good work ethic... But you could be away from home 20- 25 days a month .. There is no break up, and it steady work for good employs
If you would like to know more Pm me
W420

Harbercraftguy
03-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Geomatics would certainly get you outside. :)

http://sait.ca/cometosait/academic/diplomas/agnt.shtml
yup surveyors assistant with us will get your foot in the door.Once you've proven yourself with us we will put you through school as a more 'senior' position.Pm me if intrested.

Rod1960
03-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Do you like to play with trains? CN is usually looking for conductors, signal techs, car and locomotive mechanics. cn.ca then 'search jobs'.

bisonhunter
03-22-2011, 07:57 AM
https://psjobs-emploisfp.psc-cfp.gc.ca/psrs-srfp/applicant/page1800?toggleLanguage=en&noBackBtn=true&poster=139840&psrsMode=1

these are the boys that made this video, they all work for Water Survey, a department of Environment Canada. Brian, one of the two on the auger always says he wishes he had a dime for every view of this video. they live here in Yellowknife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-k-cX7rTE

NoKlu
03-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Got a friend that does sheet metal work for on aircraft. They fly him all over the world .

Dacotensis
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Maybe this is for you.
Search Ad ID 269143146 On Edmonton Kijiji.
If you have ever tried tieing a fly for a stream then the cross-over might be easy.:)
Ad ID 269143146

dewalt18
03-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Maybe this is for you.
Search Ad ID 269143146 On Edmonton Kijiji.
If you have ever tried tieing a fly for a stream then the cross-over might be easy.:)
Ad ID 269143146

Hahahaha, Not sure how many repeat customers I'd get!

dewalt18
03-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Really appreciate all the advice guys and gals! Got a few pm's going out.

Dacotensis
03-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Sorry dewalt18, I couldn't resist.
I'm laughing right now as I type this.
Feelin a little punchy.

As a side note, the gf I'm with went on a date with a guy many years ago pre-me, The guy told her he was a heavy equip opperator. It turns out he used a backhoe to dig graves.
I guess it's not the kind of thing you tell someone on a first date.

dewalt18
03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Sorry dewalt18, I couldn't resist.
I'm laughing right now as I type this.
Feelin a little punchy.

As a side note, the gf I'm with went on a date with a guy many years ago pre-me, The guy told her he was a heavy equip opperator. It turns out he used a backhoe to dig graves.
I guess it's not the kind of thing you tell someone on a first date.

I guess with a job like that opportunities are always opening up....
Wouldn't want to let you work load pile up though..... haha