PDA

View Full Version : Rapalas X-rap and Countdown

trapshooter
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Can you catch rainbow trout with these lures. I am heading to Policemans Flats and wondering what to use.

Fishtracker
03-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Countdown for sure. Cast upstream and let it drift down into the deeper water bouncing on the bottom.

Fario
03-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Can you catch rainbow trout with these lures. I am heading to Policemans Flats and wondering what to use.

In Poland this lures aren't often used for rainbows, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. I would choose SALMO HORNET #4

http://salmofishing.com/lures/hornet.html

One of my best trout lures.

From Rapala try small originals

bloopbloob
03-21-2011, 05:45 PM
definitely. I've caught most of my rainbows out of the bow river on x-raps, seem to work better than the countdowns if you ask me.

chubbdarter
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
In Poland this lures aren't often used for rainbows, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. I would choose SALMO HORNET #4

http://salmofishing.com/lures/hornet.html

One of my best trout lures.

From Rapala try small originals

foresure the cd accounts for some really big bow river fish

jeebuss i never even thought about the poland connection....i need some giant chubby darters!!!!

Fario
03-21-2011, 06:53 PM
foresure the cd accounts for some really big bow river fish

jeebuss i never even thought about the poland connection....i need some giant chubby darters!!!!

I don't know if i understood it good, but do you want me to help you with buying giant chubby? :)
I checked already polish shops and i can see them only in GT color, but if you are realy intrested I can ask a few persons including Salmo owner.

let me know if you want me to do this :)
jaroslaw.spinn@gmail.com

Dust1n
03-21-2011, 08:33 PM
x raps in a very sall size and natural colors work great on the elbow but the bow i think cds would take the cake.

jacenbeers
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM
If I am not fly fishing on the Bow then I stick to Rapala Countdowns. I have the brown trout pattern, rainbow trout patter, perch pattern and the silver minnow with a white bottom. All of them work well for both browns and rainbows.

Commander B
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I do not fish a lure with a clicker or rattle of any kind for trout , IMO the tight flicker of an original floater/countdown is a better option. Two small split shot at 20" and one at 14"aprox will get you down but keep you off the bottom. I think it is important to fish it sharply ( bump the rod almost like a jig, high rod with a tight line )but with drifting pauses as you are looking for a reaction bite. I dont think you get the auto eat option as you do with a fly that matches the hatch, more of ........OOOOOOOh little fishy you are in the wrong place at my supper time ........Munch...:sHa_shakeshout:

B.

Edit. No leaders /snaps on the lure either. Make a leader so to speak of aprox 36" of your favourite light line, and join them with a small swivel.