PDA

View Full Version : Maligne Lake...who fishes it and likes it

Sundancefisher
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Any good stories and photos.

Icefishin
03-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I've got lots o pics myself, grew up their and fished it for the past 20+ years. Know the lake like the back if my hand. There's some monsters in that lake too!

Jwood 456
03-21-2011, 06:57 PM
I fished that lake once and my fishing partner caught a dandy 4 or 5lber rainbow on a plug. My older sister also fished there once and caught a 5 or 6lber rainbow. The odd thing was that she caught the fish on an old rusty red devil spoon.:confused::lol:

All in all, I don't think that lake is too bad to fish every once in a while.:)

Speckle55
03-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Awesome fishery.. one of the best in province.. get a guide(experinced) to help at first ,,good investement on any new lake.. the pulls that were good in 1979 are still good .. and this Chironomid fishing can be jaw dropping.. but try yourself,,, i am an experinced angler on lake.. and just a little bias ;;; David

Sundancefisher
03-22-2011, 11:11 AM
the pulls that were good in 1979 are still good ..

Hey Specs...what does this mean? Do you have netting data?

Sundancefisher
03-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Awesome fishery.. one of the best in province..

Are you on the regular survey group for Parks? I am on it and try to boost fishing on their priority list as often as possible. Parks is quickly and silently moving towards stopping all fishing in Jasper and Banff. Therefore we need to be more vocal in our demands for a fishery.

Interestingly enough...I have seen many discussions about should we allow fishing at all in the parks and if it should be catch and release only if so allowed.

Any thoughts?

greylynx
03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Are you on the regular survey group for Parks? I am on it and try to boost fishing on their priority list as often as possible. Parks is quickly and silently moving towards stopping all fishing in Jasper and Banff. Therefore we need to be more vocal in our demands for a fishery.

Interestingly enough...I have seen many discussions about should we allow fishing at all in the parks and if it should be catch and release only if so allowed.

Any thoughts?

How do we get on to this survey group?

Boy that irks me that these parks are run by some bozo's in Ottawa.

Speckle55
03-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Hey Specs...what does this mean? Do you have netting data?.. lmao gheee sundancefisher .. i would have to kill you if i told you.. ha ha ... no a pull to me means .. a pull off a shelf..a troll along a shelf or a weed bed.. allthough we did pull a net one time to see wtf .. no tags on net(top water) was at the bottom of net tags .. Parks Canada.. the wardens were fishing for supper ;;;.. i do have creel sample's back to the 30's in a paper cover binder.. that was part of Study of Parks Lakes .. also study of Maligne lake and all the lakes in Jasper National Park.. also depth of lake charts and have kept notes on lake myself.. i also have a study on Pine Lake Wood Bufflao National Park.. hope that answers your question.. David

huntin'fool
03-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I enjoy Maligne. The best part about it is....everything. The only bad part is the wind/squalls that can come up with no notice. I like to fish it about 10-15 times during June and July.
The fish don't taste like dirt and 10 inches is far below the average size like in all our put and take lakes.....sorry, had to add that one in. I quit being part of the discussion about quality lakes....too many armchair bios and selfish people.

Speckle55
03-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Any thoughts?

Yes I am on there mailing list and have given thoughts to parks Ward Hughson as of last year and i agree there are some pushing for that but there is also us. we talked about a rainbow i caught at Maligne river(2010) inlet to Maligne lake that had louts like in meat back of ribcage.. they were clear like small magots(he was not worried)..also talked about opening Talbot Lake to ice fishing again as Parks closed down ice fishing in 2001 and they had said that they would not be taking away with out giving something back and 2 years ago they had 200 jumbo's die in August.. heat related .. so yes we need to be vocal.. I am Fish Chair for the Hinton Fish and Game we have 540 members and some are from Jasper.. keeping you informed

Speckle55
03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
Huntinfool .. maligne evil wicked.. winds yes high mountain weather ..but hey we are hooked on lake.. i agree Maligne is the whole package not just the fishing.. see you on the lake!!!