PDA

View Full Version : RTM Homes

Topwater
03-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Anyone have any experience purchasing a new RTM. I realize there could be some substantial savings if your out in the country but I'd be setting it up right in town. The one I'm looking at is roughly 1300 sq ft so i'm wondering what it would cost to do the basement and the other stuff that's not included in the rtm.
Steve

RLG
03-21-2011, 08:15 PM
I am a contractor in the Calgary area and am currently trying work with an RTM company out of red deer, gold west homes. DO NOT BUY THEIR HOUSES! We were called in after the homeowner realized they were being taken. I have told people this time and time again, the money you save from purchasing a move on is spent completing rest. There is a total lack of ownership in the manufacturing of these houses. Corners are cut, problems are left for "someone else" to take care of it. If you can get your house built for you, with the same general contractor throughout the entire project, you will get a better product. If you are set on getting a move on get a general contractor to manage it, it might seem like it costs more, but it will save you alot in the long term.

Freedom55
03-23-2011, 07:58 AM
The reason that folks out my way buy an RTM is because there are no general contractors in the rural areas, or if there are then they are way to busy to get to you when you want/need them. Contractors from the city do not want the business in the country as they can make the same money in town where they are already busy. If they will come to your area, you had better be close in because they all get "travelling time" which is expensive and cuts their workday in half.
They are the only option in the country and are a very popular alternative in Saskatchewan. Some of these beauties run up to 2000square feet and there are manufacturers that build them in a climate controlled environment.
I'll bet that I see at least one per week pass through my town on it's way west.
On a side note. Some of the building movers have a storage area with homes that they have moved off the footings somewhere and are now offering these same units for sale. Check out York-Shaw's lot on Country Hills Blvd. and Barlow Tr. in Calgary. There is a sweet little log cabin ready to move onto your foundation that they would be happy to provide the dimensions of.
Having said that, there is still the local building codes to adhere to and some of these used homes have to be inspected by a local rep. of the municipality before you transport them. Hope this is useful.

Geezle
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
I've worked siding a few RTM's back in the day, and all I can say is that if stick framing it is an option, do that. Yes, it will likely cost you a little more in the long run, but you'll also end up with a far better quality finished product.

Double Shovel
03-23-2011, 08:12 AM
We did a 1300 sft RTM home five years ago and it was $101k sitting on the foundation. We built our own basement out of the foam Logix blocks and 9 1/2 foot walls and it was right around $25k. Always add another 20-25% for unforseen things. I didn't think it would be that much when people told me but they were right.

BobM
03-23-2011, 08:14 AM
We are looking at buying an 'RTM' from either Zachs or Warmen, the costs by time we are done will be about the same as from a contractor, but in 6 months we will have a home. Neighbors in the Christopher Lake area have been as long as 1 1/2 years completing homes with contracters and have had a lot of hassles with them. We had trouble getting contracters to even quote a price, so you know if you hire them it will be a hassle.

fisher Gord
03-23-2011, 09:18 AM
We bought from Warmen. I am a journyman Carpenter, I could not buy the material in Bonnyville for what they charged for the house, 4years ago. VERY happy with their aftermove customer service. Got their northern package, our n gas bill is the lowest around, foam block basement, i did myself, with friends. Warmen cost has gone up but would still recommend them, certainly egual quality to any contractor out here for the size they build.

Walleyes
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with RTM's in most cases they are built better than stick built homes,, not in all cases but in a lot of them. I have looked over a few of them over the last few yars and there are some good products out there.

Take your time and look over a few differant homes and builders. The companies that buid these are no differant than a contractor, some are good some should be avoided.

Personely they are the only option for myself. I just don't have the patients to deal with people, especialy contractors that show up when they please and work on their own shcedual. It is quite the racket.. I work in an inviroment that when a man says he will show up for work he does,, if not they are sent walking. This is not the case with contrators,, they are in their own world. The more you bitch the slower they will respond..

pikeslayer22
05-10-2013, 08:27 AM
X-2 on Warman houses excellent quality and good pricing I know of 5 other people that got houses with them. Their movers are another story! They shouldn't be allowed to move an outhouse and are an ignorant bunch of Dork's

Donkey Oatey
05-10-2013, 08:41 AM
2yr old thread necromancing I am sure he has either found one or died trying.

muzzy
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
I have had one RTM and three custom built homes done in past 22 years The RTM was well built but when the smoke cleared it cost just as much as if I had had a custom builder do the home and I experienced the custom builders would throw in a few extra's and do a nicer job finishing ( my experience) That said I had no issues with my RTM Make sure all the finishing you want is in the contract ie they didn't parge the outside basement wall. Most RTM builders don't hook up plumbing, furnace, electrical down to basement so you have to line them up at extra costs if you cant do it yourself ( i can't). Again shop around there are all types out there building houses some good some bad, You are correct though in remote rural area's it is hard to find a builder and the RTM route is a viable alternative I would suggest that if you can you make regular trips to RTM worksite to check out progress and mini inspect your house at various stages.