PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Quebeker

watchdog4410
03-21-2011, 10:04 PM
New member from the land of the free, hahaaha.
Seriously, I 'm fluently bilingual but it is hard to get information online out here and even though Ontario is just across the river (Ottawa) the people there are, er, different.
I'm looking for good advice on tough/comfortable hiking boots (511's?) but mostly on where I can find a mid-price quality blackpowder shotgun. I've been using a Lyman Deerstalker .50 for deer and bear but we have turkey out here now.
Thanks
Watchdog4410

Dacotensis
03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
I made the mistake today of thinking a Newf was a quebecer, Who knew that there were french speaking people not from Quebec?
He wasn't offended thankfully because he was a BIG fella, good helper though!
Welcome aboard.
I have afew memories from St. Catherines street on a Friday night years ago.
My best mammories are here in Alberta though!
Hope you can have some great times here in the best province there is.
Dac

Ryry4
03-22-2011, 08:46 AM
:sSig_welcome2:

What king of terrain are you going to be using the boots in? I've got a pair of Asolo's and a pair of Kenetrek's. Love them both. The Kenetrek's are a lot stiffer than the Asolo's so they are not the most comfortable on flat ground but they shine where it's steep. I'd stay away from Rocky's at all cost.

Hope this helps.

watchdog4410
03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Hunting in rough hilly country, I'm looking for lightweight/waterproof boots with a really good sole for bird hunting.
My oldest boy has confiscated my CF mucklucs for deerhunting so now I want to **** him off and also get a pair of good winter boots.

Ryry4
03-22-2011, 11:31 AM
My best suggestion would be to try on as may different pairs as you can and go with the best fit. Can't go wrong with Irish Setter and Danners also.

watchdog4410
03-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I made the mistake today of thinking a Newf was a quebecer, Who knew that there were french speaking people not from Quebec?
He wasn't offended thankfully because he was a BIG fella, good helper though!
Welcome aboard.
I have afew memories from St. Catherines street on a Friday night years ago.
My best mammories are here in Alberta though!
Hope you can have some great times here in the best province there is.
Dac
I misspoke myself, I still live in Quebec. If you get rid of a couple million seperatists we would have the best province! Our deer melt in your mouth.
Seriously, I joined this forum because it seems English Quebecers like myself have more in common with Albertans then anybody else, we don't take guff from nobody and we always stand up for ourselves and those who can't defend themselves.

roadkill
03-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Waitaminit! *I'm* AO's resident filthy easterner! What the hell are you doing here???

:p

hal53
03-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Waitaminit! *I'm* AO's resident filthy easterner! What the hell are you doing here???

you vote NDP....YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!!!!.....:argue2:..LOL!!!!!!

Ryry4
03-25-2011, 04:53 PM

He doesn't like his model 70 that much...

roadkill
03-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Okay, okay... I'm going...

Actually, I'm just gonna go over here and take a pic of me hugging my rifle so I can send it in when the party sends me a donation envelope...

hal53
03-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Okay, okay... I'm going...

Actually, I'm just gonna go over here and take a pic of me hugging my rifle so I can send it in when the party sends me a donation envelope...
cool...then you'll be out of their party too....but send them money anyway...they may need it....

TreeGuy
03-25-2011, 05:09 PM
cool...then you'll be out of their party too....but send them money anyway...they may need it....

What was that P.T. Barnum quote....... :evilgrin:

hal53
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
What was that P.T. Barnum quote....... :evilgrin:
can't remember if it was an oilpatch trash guy was born every minute???...or an arborist...one or the other...but..he was right!!!

roadkill
03-25-2011, 05:17 PM
can't remember if it was an oilpatch trash guy was born every minute???...or an arborist...one or the other...but..he was right!!!

When discussing the NDP, I prefer to quote Lesley Gore: 'It's my party... and I'll cry if I want to.'

dumoulin
03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
New member from the land of the free, hahaaha.
Seriously, I 'm fluently bilingual but it is hard to get information online out here and even though Ontario is just across the river (Ottawa) the people there are, er, different.
I'm looking for good advice on tough/comfortable hiking boots (511's?) but mostly on where I can find a mid-price quality blackpowder shotgun. I've been using a Lyman Deerstalker .50 for deer and bear but we have turkey out here now.
Thanks
Watchdog4410

Meidl boots are unbeleivable. Big money but well worth it. I have a pair and I can walk all day long without foot fatigue or soreness, you will never roll an ankle and you feet will never get wet even if you step in and out of water. These are the real deal. Mine cost were 50% off and cost 270 USD.

Like my old man used to say: "Boy, never cheap out on anything made with rubber!"

Here's there Web site: http://www.meindl.de/english/
The boot I have are "Ortler"

TreeGuy
03-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I miss Ed Broadbent. :)

RK, who's gonna take over after jack's moved on to the Great Utopia? lizzy may?

TreeGuy
03-25-2011, 05:32 PM
Watchdog4410, sorry for the threadjack. Seems politics is in the air today.

Anyway, Dumoulin has it right with the Meindl's. I hiked 16km out of the Kananaskis this past fall, leading a rotten horse in foot of snow wearing Meindls. I was shocked at how comfy and dry my feet stayed. I highly recommend them. Good luck. :wave:

hal53
03-25-2011, 05:33 PM
When discussing the NDP, I prefer to quote Lesley Gore: 'It's my party... and I'll cry if I want to.'
WOW!!!!!...I didn't know you were that old!!!!...my parents played that song all the time on a 45 or maybe a 78???.......LOL!!!

Albertadiver
03-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Watchdog4410, sorry for the threadjack. Seems politics is in the air today.

Anyway, Dumoulin has it right with the Meindl's. I hiked 16km out of the Kananaskis this past fall, leading a rotten horse in foot of snow wearing Meindls. I was shocked at how comfy and dry my feet stayed. I highly recommend them. Good luck. :wave:

My Raichelle's have just had the bun finally, so I'm in the market for a new set of backpacking boots before our may long trip (give me time to break them in first). Where'd you get your meindls?

Iron Brew
03-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I need to post my little bit for high quality CANADIAN made boots... Vibergs...

http://www.workboot.com/hiking_hunting_boots

I have two pair (one work, one hiking). The hiking ones are barely broken in, but the work boots are incredibly comfortable... And they have lasted...

TreeGuy
03-25-2011, 06:23 PM
My Raichelle's have just had the bun finally, so I'm in the market for a new set of backpacking boots before our may long trip (give me time to break them in first). Where'd you get your meindls?

They were my buddy's. I think he ordered them directly on-line.

KegRiver
03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Hey! There is always room for more ! LOL We or our kin were all Easterners at one time. My old man was born in Nova Scotia and all my aunts - uncles - and cousins live down there. :)

Welcome watchdog ! Sorry I can't offer any advice on hiking boots.
I use whatever,,,,,,

roadkill
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I usually use Keen for hiking, winter and light nature walking. Last year I also bought a pair of Keen winter boots for my hunting trip, just because they were a lot more affordable than a lot of the hunting-specific boots out there. I figure I'm going to upgrade to some Irish Setters or something once the Keens are wrecked, though. It was a purely financial decision.

That being said, my feet were nice and toasty on an extremely frigid few days in the bush.

watchdog4410
03-27-2011, 01:22 AM
Tried on 2 different types of Irish Setters, I loved the quality of them but they are made small. After my lady and the sales clerk stopped laughing over a size 14 being way to tight I walked out with the little pride I had left. (the phrase "Duck feet" followed by uncontollable laughter hurts!) LOL
Decided to go back to the good old days and wear CF old style combats, guess where I ordered them from. Calgary.

Don't worry about hijacking the post, it's all for fun.

I work 2 blocks from Parliament and I have had the great privilage and honour of yelling out "there goes Taliban Jack" as Leighton walked by! My kid brother was in Afghanistan at the time.

Any L1A1 fanaticts out there?

HunterDave
03-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Hunting in rough hilly country, I'm looking for lightweight/waterproof boots with a really good sole for bird hunting.
My oldest boy has confiscated my CF mucklucs for deerhunting so now I want to **** him off and also get a pair of good winter boots.

Your old mucklucs were no good for hiking anyway.............great for deerhunting in the snow but definitely no good for hiking. Your Army gortex boots are better than anything that you'll find on civie street for humping.........except maybe for a $400 pair of matterhorns. Those oilfield winter boots are warm for snow (deerhunting) too but I wouldn't want to be humping allot with them on. :)

watchdog4410
03-27-2011, 01:49 AM
You are right about the mucklucs, only good for sitting in a deerstand. My little brother used to donate to me a pair of combats every few years but then he became a MP and got honest. Love him anyways I guess.

watchdog4410
03-27-2011, 02:22 AM
:sHa_shakeshout: Sorry Roadkill, forgot to add, the only good thing to come out of Montreal (not including the Habs) is my Lady, which I stole from you guys and moved her to Gatineau! hahahaha.

Zulu9er
03-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Tried on 2 different types of Irish Setters, I loved the quality of them but they are made small. After my lady and the sales clerk stopped laughing over a size 14 being way to tight I walked out with the little pride I had left. (the phrase "Duck feet" followed by uncontollable laughter hurts!) LOL
Decided to go back to the good old days and wear CF old style combats, guess where I ordered them from. Calgary.

Don't worry about hijacking the post, it's all for fun.

I work 2 blocks from Parliament and I have had the great privilage and honour of yelling out "there goes Taliban Jack" as Leighton walked by! My kid brother was in Afghanistan at the time.

Any L1A1 fanaticts out there?

Nope,, but I could talk to you all day about the FNC1A1
:)

watchdog4410
03-27-2011, 01:46 PM
No me time today but I'll post some pics later of the Indian I'm rebuilding. Need someone to talk to about FN's, wife can't even pretend to be interested anymore!

BobLoblaw
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Your old mucklucs were no good for hiking anyway.............great for deerhunting in the snow but definitely no good for hiking. Your Army gortex boots are better than anything that you'll find on civie street for humping.........except maybe for a $400 pair of matterhorns. Those oilfield winter boots are warm for snow (deerhunting) too but I wouldn't want to be humping allot with them on. :)

Do you really wear Army boots while humping, Dave?
Do they give you a better grip on the silk sheets?

watchdog4410
03-27-2011, 06:21 PM
:angry3: Alright! That's it! I'm putting on my big girl panties and gonna get in a snit! LOL

Silly redneck, you put the mattress on the floor first so ya don't worry about sliding off.

BTW, nice minnow.

Do you really wear Army boots while humping, Dave?
Do they give you a better grip on the silk sheets?

roadkill
03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
:sHa_shakeshout: Sorry Roadkill, forgot to add, the only good thing to come out of Montreal (not including the Habs) is my Lady, which I stole from you guys and moved her to Gatineau! hahahaha.

No love for the Ski-doo?

I was going to say 'John Garand,' but he was actually from St-Remi.