PDA

View Full Version : e-bay & pay pal question

ORV
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
hello everyone! any of you guys or gals bought things from e-bay?
if so did you use paypal? how did that work for you?
i have bought stuff from forum members out of town
but i am very leery of stuff on e-bay.
reason i am asking is i found something i want & not sure if it is worth the hassle to set up pay pal. etc.

appreciate any comments

thanks

orv.

chasingtail
03-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Paypal seems to work quite well and is safe, bought a couple small items with paypal, I believe you are insured if ripped off but not sure. Just remember when buying on sites like this that if the price is to good to be true it usually is.

HunterDave
03-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes, I have purchased a ton of stuff off of ebay and used Paypal for every transaction. If you don't receive the item that you purchased you can put in a claim with Paypal to get your money refunded. The onus is on the seller to prove that he shipped the item, ie tracking number, and if he can't then the claim is settled in your favour. If you purchase from a well established seller with a good reputation you won't have any problems.

The only thing that I'll warn you about is the possibility of phishing emails that you could receive stating that you have a problem with your Paypal account and to click on the link in the email to sort it out. The link will take you to a site that looks like Paypal but when you enter your password the crooks have access to your account and clean you out. It's a scam and I've received them for Capital One, Paypal, etc. Just don't click on any links in emails that are sent to you and there is no problem.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending using Paypal for any online transactions. I'd have to judge ebay sellers individually based on their reputation but as a whole, ebay is safe. :)

turbo mulcher
03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I have used PP hooked up to my Bank . One time used a credit card through PP and they dinged me 3% so just a heads up to use a Bank account to add funds :thinking-006:

ORV
03-22-2011, 01:47 PM
good info. i was thinking of a credit card for paypal.
so if it is a credit card you get charged another 3% ???
or depends on the seller?
so what does paypal get out of it?
is there a transaction fee??

thanks again

orv.

turbo mulcher
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
PP gets the 3%

HunterDave
03-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I have used PP hooked up to my Bank . One time used a credit card through PP and they dinged me 3% so just a heads up to use a Bank account to add funds :thinking-006:

That would have been the seller dinging you for the transaction fees that Paypal charged him and not Paypal. I only use a credit card as I want the airmiles. :) Most sellers just accept the Paypal transaction charge as the cost of doing business and unless it's written in their item description they can't charge you anything more for anything including, transaction fees, handling fees, extra postage fees, etc.

HunterDave
03-22-2011, 01:56 PM
good info. i was thinking of a credit card for paypal.
so if it is a credit card you get charged another 3% ???
or depends on the seller?
so what does paypal get out of it?
is there a transaction fee??

thanks again

orv.

There is no charge to the buyer but the seller is charged a transaction fee.

There are some great deals on ebay if you are looking for something specific.

Another tip: Never get anything shipped to you from the US via UPS, Fedex, etc. They charge extremely high brokerage fees to collect any customs duties owed. Always use USPS/Canada Post!

Go for it............save money with our high CDN$ now!

mtylerb
03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
There is no charge to the buyer but the seller is charged a transaction fee.

There are some great deals on ebay if you are looking for something specific.

Another tip: Never get anything shipped to you from the US via UPS, Fedex, etc. They charge extremely high brokerage fees to collect any customs duties owed. Always use USPS/Canada Post!

Go for it............save money with our high CDN$ now!

That's exactly what I've been doing recently. Bought a number of parts for my truck that need replacing and have bought them all out of the US on eBay. Probably paid about $500 less in all with the eBay prices and the strong Canadian dollar.

ORV
03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
good stuff!

thanks for the info guys!

orv.

ORV
03-22-2011, 03:23 PM
i see the shipping charges listed.
does that include duty?
how much can i plan on duty & tax on say a $300.00 purchase.?

thanks

orv.

Ice Fishing Maniac
03-22-2011, 03:31 PM
You should only be paying DUTY on products NOT manufactured in the USA.

I have used EBAY for my last 5 less 1 Leupold scopes...only one issue.

The seller had a very High positive rating then a couple days later it dropped. He would not return my emails or provide me a tracking ##. Contacted PAYAPL Disbute department.:argue2: I was credited back my money to my visa after the investigation. :sHa_shakeshout: I was leary for a bit but since then bought many items no problem.

DO NOt GET SHIPPED UPS!!

Sellers make some additional money on their S/H charges. I ususally contact the seller prior to bidding and get an actual shipping cost. Some wont budge but most ship at actual costs.

Spartan30-06
03-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Bought tons of stuff from E-Bay, I remember reading pay pal is owned by them and it's probably the easiest way to make a claim for money back in case seller screws you. What I advise people is to check how many other transactions that seller has and if people are general happy with him. Someone with a few hundred happy transactions is fairly safe, I'd avoid sellers that have only a couple of items sold or bought.

HunterDave
03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
i see the shipping charges listed.
does that include duty?
how much can i plan on duty & tax on say a $300.00 purchase.?

thanks

orv.

That total cost will not include duties as the seller is not charging you for that, the Canadian government is. I think that Canada Post charges $5 to collect 5% gst on goods priced over $20. If the item was manufactured in a NAFTA country no other duties are involved. I don't 100% understand it but allot of times I don't have to pay any duty on goods that are shipped from the US. It's hit and miss but I always factor in the $5 + gst when I calculate the total cost. If I'm not dinged with anything all the better. :sHa_shakeshout:

KegRiver
03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Same for me, I buy quiet a bit from ebay and I use paypal.
I had one transaction I had to claim on. All I had to do was fill out the claim and a few days later my money was refunded.

I haven't found very many bargains though. What I have found is that most of the items I have looked at on ebay could be bought from Amazon for less, frequently, for substantially less.

Now when I find something interesting on ebay, I check Amazon to see what they charge before deciding if I want to bid.

I haven't tried paypal with Amazon.

caver77
03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
It is a bit of a love hate relationship, depending on if you're a buyer or seller. It does offer you a good bit of protection as buyer. Have bought and sold on ebay a good bit. Not near as many deals as there seemed to be now-a-days. Dollar is good these days though! Shipping kinda kills a lot of deals. UPS way kills deals. Get only USPS shipping and make sure to get a shipping cost first. Careful,especially on new firearms products,scopes, and ammo/supplies with the US export permits required. They may ship but your purchase may get confiscated. I'm not sure about used items do some homework. Some times you get lucky and there is no duty or GST sometimes you pay the full deal. Good luck on your purchases there are still deals to be had! PP is safe.

TBark
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Paypal also takes 2.5% more than the Can - USA dollar exchange, so be aware of that too.

TBark

32-40win
03-23-2011, 11:40 PM
used PayPal on E-bay and Amazon, worked well for me. Used Lastpass to generate a secure password on it, very quick and simple to use that way.
I had a dispute with the very first thing I bought thru Paypal, got my credit a couple of days later. Dispute procedure is simply laid out and easy to do if necc.
Lastpass is a great way to setup and keep track of passwords,installs on Google and Firefox in moments, and the only thing you need remember is the access password for Lastpass.

newguy
03-24-2011, 08:41 AM
check the sellers feedback score!! one of the safest ways to protect yourself. also NEVER have anything delivered by UPS. most of the time it will be held at customs and you will get an invoice or when it comes a COD before you get your items. USPS is the best way to have your items delivered to canada. these are my experiences and i've bought dozwns of items. and please, NEVER access your paypal account through a link from an email you receive!!

CSIGuy67
03-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I use paypal and ebay quite often. Never had any problems at all to speak of. Some sellers are less than pleasant to deal with though.

I got ripped off for over $100 last month from a seller I bought some SR22 accessories from. He had great feedback, great communication and then I paid him. Never heard from him again.

I filed a dispute claim through Paypal and within a week they refunded every penny of my money and no extra fees charged. I felt they worked very well for me and I now trust the sytem a bit more.

As long as you are registered properly through Paypal and Ebay you should have nothing to worry about.

Have fun!!

Oh yes, and as others have said stay away from UPS shipping and Fedex Shipping. Fedex is getting better but UPS is terrible. I bought a $30 mountain bike part on ebay last year and the seller sent it with UPS by accident. UPS charged me $55 for "brokerage fees". They are terrible to deal wtih. Stick with USPS or Canada Post, it takes longer to get there sometimes but you won't have the extra expense.

McD
03-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Never had any problems with ebay or paypal so far.... bought a truck on ebay even. USPS is only way to have items shipped up here but there are various small companies along the border who will receive items and you can go across and pick them up. Some companies advertise free shipping in US...have done that with truck tires and rims did full set for me and a friend saved lots that time...just picked up a custom fridge for a sister...the company that it was delivered to charged $25 that included receiving it storage and loading it on my truck....she saved $2500 plus over buying up here.