PDA

View Full Version : Raw Food Diet/Wild Meat

Mrsjts1
03-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I have a friend that has a great dane puppy and they are doing the raw food diet for him. The problem is this dog eats 5lbs a day and they are running out fast. Does anyone know of places that they can get meat from? Also is there any hunters on here that would sell some of their scrap meat to them??

Lefty-Canuck
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
It is illegal to sell any meat (scraps) from any game animal in Alberta.

Lefty

Arn?Narn.
03-23-2011, 09:12 AM
I have a friend that has a great dane puppy and they are doing the raw food diet for him. The problem is this dog eats 5lbs a day and they are running out fast. Does anyone know of places that they can get meat from? Also is there any hunters on here that would sell some of their scrap meat to them??

My suggestion is,..if they have taken on the responsibility of dog ownership..and decided they want to food the pup a raw food diet then they should have ensured they have resources to maintain it...or make the switch to ALPO (or whatever)

A champagne diet on a beer budget doesn't work..

walleyechaser
03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Go to the butcher and ask to buy the offcuts... Or mix the raw meat with rice or kibble

5 pounds seems a little to much. My Neapolitan mastiff arrives in a month or so and I doubt she will eat close to that amount

rottie
03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Check into the legality of using fresh road kill. I sold a pup to a couple in New Brunswick and they pick up fresh road kills, winter is good for that as the meat doeant decay too soon. It is then trimmed and pre ground before all the veggies are added..
From the picts they have sent me it appears to work well

iliketrout
03-23-2011, 09:25 AM
My suggestion is,..if they have taken on the responsibility of dog ownership..and decided they want to food the pup a raw food diet then they should have ensured they have resources to maintain it...or make the switch to ALPO (or whatever)

And another honest question goes the way of the thread de-rail.
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0903/derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg

Mrsjts1 - Get your friends to call Horizon meats in Sunridge. I have had excellent dealings with them, and I am so impressed with their service that I am taking my deer to him next year. He is a great guy and I'm sure he'll be able to help, or at least give you a couple ideas on where to look next.http://www.horizonmeats.ca/

Mrsjts1
03-23-2011, 09:31 AM

I don't see anywhere on my post that I said they could not afford it.

Thank you Adam I will pass that site onto my friend :)

Thank you lefty, I was not aware that it is illegal.

pickrel pat
03-23-2011, 09:51 AM
i dont see anywhere in his post about being able to afford it. resources was meant in the ability to aquire. that being said, i think butcher shops may be your best bet.

fat cat
03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
You better talk to your vet, before you feed your dog to much raw wild meat. moose, carry worms that will live in canines, and not in humans. something to check into.

Scotty P.
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Balzac Meats sells ground trim & organ meat for $ 1.50/lb and they are divided up into 5lb loafs. Stathmore Meats sells ground organ meet as well but it is 100% organ meat no trim. Hope this helps!:)

Mike_W
03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
You better talk to your vet, before you feed your dog to much raw wild meat. moose, carry worms that will live in canines, and not in humans. something to check into.

True however once thorughly frozen for 24 hours they are dead but good tip!!

5lbs don't sound like to much to me 2.5 lbs a meal is about right for a full grown dog.
My parents have a 185lb dane and he eats close to that especially between the ages of 1.5-5.

Some times buffalo farmers will have an old bull they may not want around and cant really even make into burger anymore so they would be glad to get anything for them provided your friends did all the work. maybe call around.

I would also suggest that they start feeding with a bit of rice or potatos and a mix of some veggies.

Its alot of work to feed this way!!With my new pups I switched over to a premium kibble Acanna and orijen and i will supplement with scraps and wild meat when applicable.

Arn?Narn.
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't see anywhere on my post that I said they could not afford it.

Thank you Adam I will pass that site onto my friend :)

Thank you lefty, I was not aware that it is illegal.

Then why did the dog eating 5 lbs a day a create a "problem" and they are "running out fast"...ans you are now offering to buy scrap wild meat ends for a raw food diet?????

The raw food you purchase for raw food diets is rarely scrap ends, much less wild scrap ends..

perhaps is availability is such an issue, the diet needs to be revisited...

They should have researched all this before getting a dog and putting him on the diet...

jts1
03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Step easy arn.....

Arn?Narn.
03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Step easy arn.....

npp

Arn?Narn.
03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I'll appologize for coming accross as a bit of a dick...

I have had numerous purebred and am friends with a breeder,

Eventually you end up seeing so many dogowners who got into owenership without researching anything from climate, temperment, health issues and diet, that you start to see common themes..

I appologize for jumping the gun,,, and do know where they can get a large amount of raw food, and should have just posted that comment instead of the other BS...

You can PM for me it if you wish

Mike

Gunslinger257
03-23-2011, 02:02 PM
The last horse sale I attended had horses selling as low as the $100.00 range not to mention the minature donkeys that came through and the auctionier paid a guy 5 bucks to take them so they didn't stay at the auction mart until the next sale. If a person wanted to put some work into it you could have hundreds of pounds of dog food for little more then the cost of the butcher.

jts1
03-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Pm sent arn. We have another thread looking for a cat and dog. Maybe you can help us out.

Mrsjts1
03-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you everyone for the info, I will forward it onto my friend.

prosnowsk8er
03-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I feed my boxer a high quality raw foor diet and i buy it in frozen 20 pound boxes, works out to roughly 1.30/lb.

Puppys are supposed to be eating roughly 6% of there body weight but that number changes a bit depending on the activity and so on.

This can get rather expensive so my suggestion to your friend would be to feed half raw and half a high quality kibble, check out tailblazers.com

whitetailhntr
03-23-2011, 04:37 PM
I feed my boxer a high quality raw foor diet and i buy it in frozen 20 pound boxes, works out to roughly 1.30/lb.

Puppys are supposed to be eating roughly 6% of there body weight but that number changes a bit depending on the activity and so on.

This can get rather expensive so my suggestion to your friend would be to feed half raw and half a high quality kibble, check out tailblazers.com

TheClash
03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
here we go again.....

:sSc_hiding:

whitetailhntr
03-23-2011, 04:42 PM
here we go again.....

:sSc_hiding:

Your right Clash..... not worth it. post edited.