PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Refugees we have room for a family in Alberta, Canada

Ken07AOVette
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
When we were 6 hours (by Jet) from Japan, it made us think how horrific it must be for the people at ground zero. We, as were most of the people in Hawaii were nervous, and were 3500 miles away.

I wondered how we could help, and short of sending a few dollars, the only things I could think of were to go there and try to help with rescue and recovery efforts, but clearances will never be granted to civilians, so the only other thing would be to offer a home to a family from Japan until things straighten out.

I wonder if that has ever, could ever happen? Does anyone think that if a plane ticket was supplied to them, that they would stay in a friendly home short term? I have room, beds, food, what would have to happen? Even better, I have a big fifth wheel, they would have their own roof, fridge, stove, shower.....

Before anyone says "we have enough homeless in Canada......"

I am aware of that, THESE people do not have a choice, a lot of ours do.

Alberta Bigbore
03-23-2011, 12:17 PM
You have to be the friendliest man in Alberta....

FishingMOM
03-23-2011, 12:32 PM
It may be allowed to happen, as things in Japan continue to fall apart.
Now today they say that babies must NOT drink anything made with tap water in Toyoko.

I am not sure how to go about this. However when we are in Hawaii I will find the locations accepting bottled water and make a donation.

Ken07AOVette
03-23-2011, 12:38 PM
well, a search on google shows all kinds of hits for the same thing, I found a half dozen replies where people say things like "I have room for a family of x" in our house, so I think what I wll do, is change the name of the title of this thread, and if anyone searching see's it, they can contact me.

Let's see if we get any hits!

Ken in Alberta Canada, room for 2 parents and up to 3 kids, indefinately.

omega50
03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
It would change some lives for the better in a hurry.

TheClash
03-23-2011, 03:31 PM
well done Ken

FishingMOM
03-23-2011, 03:39 PM
http://japaneserefugees.com/forum/index.php

Ken07AOVette
03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Good find Jen, we are registered and have made the offer for 2+3!

Wish us luck!

chubbdarter
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Good find Jen, we are registered and have made the offer for 2+3!

Wish us luck!

You indeed are Top Shelf Sir....the world is lucky to have you.

Ive done the text a donation thing.....now I'll do more.

CaberTosser
03-23-2011, 03:54 PM
An awesome gesture Ken, and I know it's sincere. I'm sure many Japanese will be busy with reconstruction efforts, but many others not directly contributing to the reconstruction would be helping by vacating and reducing resource consumption, etc. It sounds like a great thing to me.

Japan: Rooms availble at Godzilla's house
He won't eat you.... really:)

DarkAisling
03-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Japan: Rooms availble at Godzilla's house
He won't eat you.... really:)

:lol: Can you imagine the looks on their faces when they got off the plane and stood next to him?

Ken07AOVette
03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
I have to admit, MOST of the reason for this is from being in Hawaii the day it happened. While we were in the USA we were inundated with news, 72 channels of Tsunami the day of and after the Tsunami. Being that close, we were scared poopless of the fallout as winds turned West, and actually looked forward to getting out of Dodge. When we saw the devestation we immediately agreed it would be the right thing to do, to share our home.

I would learn as much about them as I could, being self-employed there would be a lot of time I could dedicate to learning Japanese, if they would take the time to teach me. We certainly are not rich, there would definately be more hunting and fishing to supply meat.

In the late 70's the church here brought 3 families from Viet Nam, and we grew up with them. This is not new to me, but it would be to my family. Everyone is excited, and hope we can help.

FishingMOM
03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
You have to be the friendliest man in Alberta....

Ken and his family are amazingly generous people. Now if we would all do the same imagine how great this Province, country and world would be.

I am proud to say I have met this gentle man. He is someone I hope my son grows up to be like!

JENNIFER

FishingMOM
03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Grizz
Hope this website helps you.

Mouse over the pictures. You can see before and after there is 2 pages to look through, lots of understanding will happen once you see this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/japan-quake-2011/beforeafter.htm

Supermag
03-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Damn! You are a good guy!

I feel guilty now about adding fuel to the Monster Energy Fridge For Sale thread back in the day:o

I hope this works out for you, both for the people you are offering to help, and for the experience your family woud have.

Nice job!

FishingMOM
03-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Still no word yet if the Gov't will bring tsunami survivors into Canada.

hassihand
03-24-2011, 03:15 AM
WOW, that's a very cool thing to do. Please keep us all posted on how it shakes out.
For 5 yrs, my family provided room & board for young athletes from Japan that come to Calgary to train and study. I know it's completely different than the current situation, but having done the same for athletes from all over the world, the Japanese were by far the most respectful and caring.

As if they haven't already sacrificed enough, they would happily give you the shirt off their back in exchange for some kindness.

be kind & pay it forward.
HH

Lonnie
03-24-2011, 04:03 AM
well Ken I'm glad you aren't worried about what a lot of self centerd forum members think as the day after a forum member suggested that we as canadians and albertans get woman and childen out you should have seen the negitive reactions on here about who wuold pay for it the cost of health care ect...... I hope you are a canadian citizen as this should be as all of canada should act. the other post that I'm refering to still makes me mad so I will leave it at that. WELL DONE KEN and best wishes for you and your family.

Lonnie

greylynx
03-24-2011, 09:55 AM
There is a program that brings irradiated kids from around Chernobyl to spend summers in Alberta. Living in clean old Alberta apparently lessens the chances of these kids getting cancer.

I wonder if a similar program will be set up for Japanese kids.

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2011, 10:01 AM
There is a program that brings irradiated kids from around Chernobyl to spend summers in Alberta. Living in clean old Alberta apparently lessens the chances of these kids getting cancer.

I wonder if a similar program will be set up for Japanese kids.

Greylynx that is very interesting, if you have more information on this please post a link.
Thank you!

FishingMOM
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
http://www.chernobyl-international.com/homes-of-hope.html

Gunslinger257
03-24-2011, 11:14 PM
My wife and I were just looking into the chernobyl thing about three days before the Tsunami hit, we found a link to a CBC news page stating that Canadians are unable to bring the kids in anymore because the place that was sending them had set up some new regulations, at first it sounded like we were at fault for not following the new guidelines, but upon further reading we discovered that Canada has complied with the new regulations but Belarus hasn't accepted us yet. I will try to post the link I found. My wife and I would love to be able to bring people into our home as well. Please would you keep us updated if you find out anything more? Thank you!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2009/06/18/belarus-program.html

slough shark
03-24-2011, 11:47 PM
good luck with that ken, my folks did that back in the 80's with a family from Vietnam for around 6 months or so when they first came to Canada as refugees, they still keep in touch with them and have been invited to the kids weddings and get christmas cards and such, my folks were able to bless that family so much and they were very thankful, it was pretty cool.

catnthehat
03-25-2011, 06:53 AM
Iyt may seem strange to some, but when I read about this , Ken, it didn't surprise me in the least that you are looking into this act of human kindness!!:sHa_shakeshout:
You have a great day, and hope all works out well in your quest!:)
Cat

igorot
03-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Got this from another group

1. THE CALM
Not a single visual of chest-beating or wild grief. Sorrow itself has been elevated.

2. THE DIGNITY
Disciplined queues for water and groceries. Not a rough word or a crude gesture.

3. THE ABILITY
The incredible architects, for instance. Buildings swayed but didn’t fall.

4. THE GRACE
People bought only what they needed for the present, so everybody could get something.

5. THE ORDER
No looting in shops. No honking and no overtaking on the roads. Just understanding.

6. THE SACRIFICE
Fifty workers stayed back to pump sea water in the N-reactors. How will they ever be repaid?

7. THE TENDERNESS
Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared for the weak.

8. THE TRAINING
The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they did just that.

9. THE MEDIA
They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters. Only calm reportage.

10. THE CONSCIENCE
When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the shelves and left quietly!

Ken07AOVette
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
igorot- those are the exact things that people are talking about in the forums, absolutely amazing isn't it? They are really talking about the lack of looting, the Americans are saying in their own forums, 'If this was here....." and you can fill in the rest.

Amazing people.

Good reply.

Thanks for the encouraging words and replies guys.
I have asked the mods to Lock this thread.
Google and any web search should bring up the offer to help.
There is no reason for arguing and pointless replies in here.