PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a fishing partner

jts1
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Wife and I are looking to add an addition to our family. A med sized dog that can head out fishing and such with us. As well as a cat that will be strictly a house cat. Have been looking at rescue places but thought I would check on here as well

MrDave
03-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I just wanted to add a caution on rescued pets. As good as it is to save one from the needle, they come with their own baggage.

I have went this way, adopted an American Eskimo from Red Deer, and spent 2 years chasing this dog down. She was always trying to find her family. Loved the dang dog, but her heart break over her lost family, ended up costing her life. Went for a wander, after squeezing threw the fence, and ended up dead on the highway.
Adopted a Rotti, just about 4 years ago. He had so many bad habits from the previous owners. It has taken lots of love,but he has gotten better. I am not sure the good feelings from saving him made up for all the grief he caused. When he chewed up my month old work boots I said I will never take on another used dog.

In the end I would say get a young pup, before the bad habits and problems are encountered. You never know what the history is with a pound dog. Good luck. I miss my old German Shepard, she loved going fishing with me in the boat. Always ready to go, unlike the old lady.

S-in-Cochrane
03-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Cochrane humane society, always has dogs & cats.

All of theirs get a little bit of training etc before being released to new homes.

http://www.cochranehumane.ca/adopt_Dogs.html

http://www.cochranehumane.ca/adopt_Cats.html

Good luck!

S

theycallmeNoah
03-23-2011, 02:37 PM
NASAP in Edmonton has 22 puppies right now.

They are a great organization. Take a look!!

bushman53
03-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I have a couple kittens that are lookin for a good home, my place seems to be where everyone drops their unwanted cats off

OutwardBound
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
AARCS is another great organization right here in Calg. I'd just like to plug in that not all rescued dogs have baggage and many rescue organizations have puppies that were just born to bad circumstances and those pups often make fantastic companions. It's worth a look as rescued puppies typically come very socialized, vet checked and vaccinated for a low price. Most of all have fun with your new partner and post pics!!

Danni

dodger
03-24-2011, 06:17 AM
AARCS is another great organization right here in Calg. I'd just like to plug in that not all rescued dogs have baggage and many rescue organizations have puppies that were just born to bad circumstances and those pups often make fantastic companions. It's worth a look as rescued puppies typically come very socialized, vet checked and vaccinated for a low price. Most of all have fun with your new partner and post pics!!

Danni

X2 on the AARCS, Danni nailed it.
Dodger.