PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Spring: Tweety-birds returning:

Cattle Dog
03-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Heard a Meadowlark yesterday and today.

A black and white Duck on the muskrat pond. (he returns every spring).

Some little light grey birds with dark-colored heads in the chokecherry bush.

(gophers are up, but they arn't birds).

What migrating birds have you seen?

Frans
03-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Nothing yet... I must not be paying attention. I fed about two bags of seeds to a bunch of hungry sparrows though, during the winter. Picky buggers chucked about half of it on the ground... If I get weird weeds in my grass this summer I know who to blame.

TreeGuy
03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Nothing yet... I must not be paying attention. I fed about two bags of seeds to a bunch of hungry sparrows though, during the winter. Picky buggers chucked about half of it on the ground... If I get weird weeds in my grass this summer I know who to blame.

Honest officer........it was the sparrows! :lol:

MKD
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Male Robins are out and calling in their territories and the black capped chicadee's are back too.

Grizzly Adams
03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Starlings are back and thinking about nesting. Still trying to figure if it's the same bunch hitting the hollow tree, in our yard, every year, or if they have their own Timeshare program. :lol: Been spotting a few bald eagles over the last few weeks. Been watching for geese on Innis lake, but none so far. met a lady, with a camera, on the Ya Ha road, who claimed to be stalking a Boreal Owl.:confused:

Grizz

Rob Miskosky
03-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Male Robins are out and calling in their territories and the black capped chicadee's are back too.

Never knew that black capped chickadee's left? Never gave it much thought but I'm pretty sure they are as far north as Athabasca during hunting season, at least the ones at my feeder when I was there at the end of November.

SonnyJ
03-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I seen a Raven that was smiling...

Is that a sign of spring? lol:)

bobcatguy
03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
There,s been a flock of about 100 geese in field between here & the
city the last couple of days. Been hearing geese for the last week

ACKLEY ABE
03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
CATTLE DOG: I read your post, looked out the window. I don't see any spring out there. The snow is dirtier...is that a good sign? Will it ever end???????/

ccmckee
03-24-2011, 08:52 AM
There's been a huge bald eagle hanging around 567 about 10 mi east of Aridrie, see him most days going home. Lots of geese in the fileds and lots of gophers.

mooseknuckle
03-24-2011, 08:59 AM
Squirrels must have been busy this winter. As there are now a bunch of juveniles running back and forth across the fence in the back yard. Drives the dog INSANE!! Pretty funny to watch actually.

Shaggy
03-24-2011, 10:03 AM
It aint spring until I see a Killdeer. I don't expect that for a few weeks yet with this weather.

Cattle Dog
03-24-2011, 12:14 PM
forgot to mention, we also have 11 bald eagles for the last three weeks, and a dozen geese this last few weeks, but i am not so sure both of the above are migratory (the majority of geese are), or just hang out in southern alberta.

if i only had a camera, i could post of picture of those white-headed vultures: sometimes five in one tree. they come here because the soil is sandier, and lots of gophers: so they patiently wait a few weeks until hunters shoot a few gophers for them.

Cattle Dog
03-24-2011, 12:32 PM
my male Redwing Blackbird just arrived: fat, happy, singing, pecking seeds on driveway.
(don't see any other blackbirds yet).

BlueNorther
03-24-2011, 02:30 PM
The crows are back and I've seen geese winging their way north everyday. Haven't seen any gulls yet but they'll be here soon.

Cattle Dog
03-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Shaggy: 2 Killdeer yesterday, and one Robin.
and forcasting a big melt in about 4 to 5 days.

FCLightning
03-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Chickadees are resident all winter. The only migrant songbirds so far are the Tree Sparrow, which are likely resident in the south part of the province so may not be a migrant to some of you.

Shaggy
03-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Shaggy: 2 Killdeer yesterday, and one Robin.
and forcasting a big melt in about 4 to 5 days.

Sweet!! Bring it on.