PDA

View Full Version : 95 Chev corsica

Thundercatcher
03-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Having problems with my 95 Corsica. Can anyone help? The engine was vibrating and I loss alot of power. Slow acceleration. I changed the spark plugs changed the air filter and put fuel injection cleaner in the tank. It worked great after that, but then later in the evening when I drove it again it started having the same problems. Rough acceleration and slower acceleration. Engine vibration.

Dacotensis
03-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Intake gasket?
It's a 95, time to crush it!

Thundercatcher
03-23-2011, 11:24 PM
It's in good shape other than that problem.only 55,000 km on it

New Hunter Okotoks
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Could be a bad coil or clogged fuel filter.

zero_eight
03-24-2011, 02:24 AM
Is there any engine trouble codes stored in it?

ditchpickle
03-24-2011, 06:32 AM
Bad plug wire? try shaking the plug wires and see if it runs good again?

Lonnie
03-24-2011, 06:55 AM
thier maybe an oxygen sensor on the exhaust manifold near the fire wall kind of hard to get at but it should be easy to see,worth about $35.oo can cause all kinds of problems.

buckmaster
03-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Could be a bad coil or clogged fuel filter.
X2, bad coil(s) or the brain for the coilpack.

thepyrofish
03-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Between the $ put in already and the suggestions in this thread you will have spent more money than it would cost to have it diagnosed properly. Throwing parts at a problem is rarely the answer.

That said, when my colt recently started running rough like that it was a spark plug wire (the first time, after that it was a coil). The fact that it got better when you changed the plugs (handled the plug wires, moved them around) then got worse again sounds like a wire to me. I would google a bit, grab a multimeter and test every part of the ignition system. If everything checks out within spec, then start looking for fuel problems.

In my personal experience, fuel problems that get serious enough to mess with the car tend to starve it pretty badly and it will be hard to start, stall on you etc... An ignition problem may only take out one cylinder, which will make it run poorly but not stop the car in it's tracks. Did you have a look at the old plugs? Did one come out darker/dirtier looking than the others?

Also, being a 95 it'll be OBD2, which means auto value and the like will run a scanner on it for free. I would probably try to rule out ignition/fuel supply myself first though.

Thundercatcher
03-24-2011, 03:30 PM
Its running better now. Better than it was before I did those things. Just a little rough accelertion. And a slight jerking of the engine.

Bound2Fish
03-24-2011, 03:35 PM
Sounds to me like it is likely a fuel problem. Same thing happened on my old dodge pickup, turned out to be the fuel filter which was inexpensive and an easy fix.

Grizzly Adams
03-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Good News. The Retire a Ride program is still good for a few days. Government will give you a few bucks for the old clunker.:lol:

Grizz

sako1
03-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Between the $ put in already and the suggestions in this thread you will have spent more money than it would cost to have it diagnosed properly. Throwing parts at a problem is rarely the answer.

That said, when my colt recently started running rough like that it was a spark plug wire (the first time, after that it was a coil). The fact that it got better when you changed the plugs (handled the plug wires, moved them around) then got worse again sounds like a wire to me. I would google a bit, grab a multimeter and test every part of the ignition system. If everything checks out within spec, then start looking for fuel problems.

In my personal experience, fuel problems that get serious enough to mess with the car tend to starve it pretty badly and it will be hard to start, stall on you etc... An ignition problem may only take out one cylinder, which will make it run poorly but not stop the car in it's tracks. Did you have a look at the old plugs? Did one come out darker/dirtier looking than the others?

Also, being a 95 it'll be OBD2, which means auto value and the like will run a scanner on it for free. I would probably try to rule out ignition/fuel supply myself first though.

Actually since it is a 1995 it is probably OBD1

thepyrofish
03-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Actually since it is a 1995 it is probably OBD1

I thought 95 was the year they changed. I've owned a 93 and a 94 Eagle Talon that were both OBD1, and known several people with 95s that were OBD2. Maybe if it's the changeover year it could go either way?

RandyBoBandy
03-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Quit guessing!
http://www.obdii.com/connector.html
It is hilarious to read some of the posts in here...I mean HILARIOUS!!

Grizzly Adams
03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Bit of a stab in the dark here. Had a 95 Achieva, also GM, with similar problems, when we got it. Took a while, but finally diagnosed to the distributor less ignition system. Three sets of coils to fire 6 cylinders. Defective coils.

Grizz

220swifty
03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Did someone jam a potato in your exhaust pipe?

Everyone else is guessing, so i did too. :p