PDA

View Full Version : Driving to lac la ronge

Divert
03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Well looks like were goig to book a fly in fishing trip that will pick us up at la ronge, I checked on google maps and there appears there are several different ways to get there. We all live in Westlock so I was thinking through meadow lake then up past lac la plonge, but I have never driven past meadow lake before. If anyone has any advice it would be really helpfull, thanks
Divert

sparky660
03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
I know people that used to live in that area and if you can believe it you are better off to go to North Battleford and then jump on Hwy 40 to Prince Abert. The better highway going that route is the quickest way by far. We did a trip to Otter lake last winter, which is North of La Ronge, and went both ways. The crappy roads and stopping for every small town easily added a hour to the trip when compared with the Battleford route.

sparky660
03-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Or better yet avoid the hassle of driving the crappy Saskatchewan and fly to La Ronge. You would be doing your self a favor.

BobM
03-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Best way is to out through Lloyd and at the upgrader turn left and take the road that goes east and comes out North of Maidstone. Head north to just beyond the North Sask river and then head east through Turtleford, Glaslyn and Shellbrook to PA. It's 2 and 1/2 hours to La ronge from PA. Good road all the way. I drive it at least 5 times a year.

sparky660
03-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Best way is to out through Lloyd and at the upgrader turn left and take the road that goes east and comes out North of Maidstone. Head north to just beyond the North Sask river and then head east through Turtleford, Glaslyn and Shellbrook to PA. It's 2 and 1/2 hours to La ronge from PA. Good road all the way. I drive it at least 5 times a year.

Did they get that stretch between Turtleford and Glaslyn paved? We went that way last winter and was the main reason why we came back through Battleford.

hillbillyreefer
03-24-2011, 10:18 PM
What lake are you going to out of Laronge?

We go through Battleford, Shelbrook, PA, Laronge on our yearly tour. But we come from further south than you.

Ken07AOVette
03-24-2011, 10:21 PM
There is a good chinese food place in PA, right on the main drag. Make sure you check it out.

Divert
03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Were going to bear island lodge, We would rather fly for sure but I did some checking and all I could find was transwest air from Saskatoon and that was 600.00 return, is there a cheaper air route?

Justanotherbuck2
03-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Just make sure you leave yourself lots of time and book a room at the Cabins they used to be called Reds but I know his whole set up was for sale years ago so it may be different now.Book soon, so you have a place to stay the night before your float plane leaves..Love it up there! Have a great trip

Divert
03-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Can anyone tell me what kinda time we would be looking at if driving from Edmonton?

Ken07AOVette
03-25-2011, 03:24 PM
From East side of Edmonton to Lloydminster just under 3 hours, to North Battleford 2 hours, 2.5 hours to Prince Albert, then another 2-2.5 hours to LacLaRonge IIRC

sparky660
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
We spent 5 days fishing Otter Lake last winter and if I could find work and talk my wife into it I would have moved there in a heart beat. By Alberta standards the highways in Sask. are not that great and the road between PA and La Ronge can be a bit rough exspecially in a Dodge 1 Ton.

Mhunter51
03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
The highway between Edmonton and Calgary is ROUGH in a Dodge 1 ton. The highway between PA and LaRonge is in great shape. They were doing some repairs/repaving around Waskesui last summer/fall but the rest is good.

flygirrl
03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
This is to funny, just booked a fishing trip to Kane Lake 280 km north of La Ronge.......

hillbillyreefer
03-25-2011, 09:40 PM
From East side of Edmonton to Lloydminster just under 3 hours, to North Battleford 2 hours, 2.5 hours to Prince Albert, then another 2-2.5 hours to LacLaRonge IIRC

That is a really good time estimate.

We go to Trout lake, about 20 min in a twin Otter from La Ronge. Everything you need and your on your own, the way we like it.