PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Boats

Bfishin
03-24-2011, 09:39 PM
Has anyone ever had a Colorado XT 9' made by Classic Accessories. I am having a tough time deciding on this one or a Fishcat (much more money).
If you have any other thoughts on pontoons feel free to comment. I have never owned or been around one before.
Cheers

horsetrader
03-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Has anyone ever had a Colorado XT 9' made by Classic Accessories. I am having a tough time deciding on this one or a Fishcat (much more money).
If you have any other thoughts on pontoons feel free to comment. I have never owned or been around one before.
Cheers

Use to have two fishcat IR9 wish i'd never sold them great fun, sturdy and safe plated around and could not tip it over. only ever had 1 leak some one stabed it with a screw driver or some such thing well it was in my trailer opened it up patched it back in the water no problem.will take lots of abuse

jts1
03-25-2011, 07:16 AM
I am looking at the XT as well. It is a littel bigger so will be a litte tougher to run around in the wind. But It seems to be a good unit. Allmost 700 I think at WSS but 499 at Costco witha 2 year warrenty. Unless I hear something bad about it I am going to snag one up. Has a few extras on it allready.

pipco
03-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Spend the extra money if you can afford it and get any of the Fishcat products. Very well made, durable and excellent valve systems.

If you decide to buy anything at Cosco, good luck with warranties or any type of service should something go wrong with it.

pope
03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
I've never had a problem with costco taking anything back - I find it easier to return things at costco then anywhere else.

TrollGRG
03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
I've had my Colorado for 2 years now and had no problems. Great boat. Everyone who looks at it are really impressed with the features. I've talked to a couple of others who have had theirs longer and no one has ever had anything but good to say.

A few years ago there were some bad comments online about them but I have not been able to justify or verify those opinions.

DarkAisling
03-25-2011, 09:55 AM
If you decide to buy anything at Cosco, good luck with warranties or any type of service should something go wrong with it

Costco has the best return policy of any retailer in the country.

The risk of shopping at Costco is that they don't do exchanges or repairs. This means you might not be able to get the item you're returning replaced with the same item (from Costco). Since they give the cash back (versus a store credit) one has the option of replacing the returned item with one purchased elsewhere.

DirkDiggler
03-25-2011, 01:07 PM
Have had this exact Colorado XT boat COSTCO is selling for 2 years now and have found nothing wrong with it. Floated the Red Deer River with it, fished many of lakes with it and have been really impressed with it thus far. Just like the previous post stated COSTCO is pretty good about returns up to I think a year. For that price you can not afford not to buy it. Bought the same boat for I think $650.00 which I thought was a good price a couple of years ago.

LeonH
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Costco has the best return policy of any retailer in the country.

The risk of shopping at Costco is that they don't do exchanges or repairs. This means you might not be able to get the item you're returning replaced with the same item (from Costco). Since they give the cash back (versus a store credit) one has the option of replacing the returned item with one purchased elsewhere.

x2.

As a example I had pressure washer purchased at Costco. I had used it for about 4 years and gun assembly got screwed up. I purchased replacement gun and hose (about $100) from listed repair center and these parts were generic but better build than original. However, it did not fit due to metric/imperial sizes so I returned it.

One day while I was in Costco so I just mentioned my problem in trying to get the washer fixed to the customer service/returns department and they said bring it back. They did not care that it was almost 5 years later and get this, I did not even kept the receipt so they were digging through possible accounts until they located the purchase on my dad'd account as at the time I did not have membership myself. They gave me full money back so I added $30 and got brand new gas powered that is about ten times better than my old one. No other store in the world will treat you like this. Costco all the way.

On the side note I got new Fishcat/Outcast pontoon this winter for the next season for real good deal at FH (trade show display model) and friend of mine ordered one from Costco so we are itching to give it a try and compare the two. Mine is 8' and his Colorado is 9'. Mine is aluminum and his is cast iron so friend's is a bit heavier. My final bill was about $50 more than Costco boat but better manufacturer warranty (5 year vs. 2 year). Further comparison on the water to follow in months to come.

DarkAisling
03-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Mine is aluminum and his is cast iron so friend's is a bit heavier.

There is no way I'd buy the Colorado it that's the case. I don't trust cast metals. I'll use a cast fly reel, but I won't drown if that breaks.

sapper3
03-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I run a Fish Cat IR9 with a swivel seat and a 32lbs thrust Min Kota trolling motor , Eagle fish finder and it is a great boat. May sell it this summer as I just purchased a 2011 Crestliner Super Hawk. So I dont see me using it that much.

pope
03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
There is no way I'd buy the Colorado it that's the case. I don't trust cast metals. I'll use a cast fly reel, but I won't drown if that breaks.

Check the specs, it has a powder coated steel frame and wire deck. It is not cast iron. Some people prefer the steel frame over aluminum - it is a bit heavier but I think some prefer it as it is stronger- just something I was told.

I am close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but still cant decide between pontoon and kayak.

DarkAisling
03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Check the specs, it has a powder coated steel frame and wire deck. It is not cast iron. Some people prefer the steel frame over aluminum - it is a bit heavier but I think some prefer it as it is stronger- just something I was told.

I am close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but still cant decide between pontoon and kayak.

I prefer steel to aluminum, as steel is a little more predictable when it comes to damage.

Ken07AOVette
03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
I am looking at the XT as well. It is a littel bigger so will be a litte tougher to run around in the wind. But It seems to be a good unit. Allmost 700 I think at WSS but 499 at Costco witha 2 year warrenty. Unless I hear something bad about it I am going to snag one up. Has a few extras on it allready.

Plus, use a CIBC VISA (or....) and take advantage of the warranty doubling feature. Anything I buy that carries a warranty is on plastic, just for that reason.

vinny
03-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Some more info.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=85035&highlight=colorado

horsetrader
03-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I run a Fish Cat IR9 with a swivel seat and a 32lbs thrust Min Kota trolling motor , Eagle fish finder and it is a great boat. May sell it this summer as I just purchased a 2011 Crestliner Super Hawk. So I dont see me using it that much.

Take a hint from me don't sell it the first year sold mine as soon as I got my
Crestliner kicking my self in the azz now would love to float down the river some times ended going out and buying a 12 ft john boat. So keep it for a while and see don't make my mistake.